So Long MD-80s?

From what I've read the GE-36 was designed to be able to be re-fitting on existing MD-80 aircraft.

The noise issue might be problematic though, not because of passengers, but because of noise restrictions these days for folks on the ground.

While I'm in the "Save the MD-80" Club, I have to say I want to see that airlines do what makes most sense for them financially. The MD-80 is expensive and some say it is the most uncomfortable (but there are others who say otherwise). However, there are few new aircraft out there that will last as long as the MD-80. For American it may make sense to keep the MD-80, rather than scrap them and buy all new aircraft. Spirit has fewer MD-80s, therefore it is easier for them to scrap the fleet and go with all new Airbuses (rather see 737s...gotta root for the home team!)
And while we search for a more efficient MD-80, for most airlines it already exhists in the form of the EMB-145. Though it isn't the same raw power as the MD-80, it is the same basic shape and outline, kinda like an MD-80-Lite.

From what I've read the GE-36 was designed to be able to be re-fitting on existing MD-80 aircraft.

The noise issue might be problematic though, not because of passengers, but because of noise restrictions these days for folks on the ground.

Can't believe I didn't think of the ground restrictions. I wonder how much louder it would be than some of the turboprops around today.

:up: :up: :up: No, its AWESUM, the 80's are a piece of CRAP, always was and always will be. So glad AS is dumping those "things", uncomfrtable, and flies like a roller coaster in rough ( turbulent ) weather! Glad to fly on &37ng's and Airbus!! Luv the A 320- 321!!

WHY oH WHY!!!!!... the 80's are a piece of ol DC9 crap, good ridance. LUV the Airbus, hate the 80 club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:down: :down: :down:
Hey NAPAUS, you know what really stinks around here? Your attitude! Just shut up. Close your big fat mouth. If you think DC-9s are crap, Northwest operated 40 year old DC-9-30s and -40's. No peace of crap lasts that long! Airbus really sucks, and so do you. MD80s may not be the most fuel eficient, but they last double the time of your great A320 family! The more techno in the cockpit, the more shitty it is, becuse Airbus does not have the glory, the majestic looks, and the long proug American Pride of the McDonnell Douglas MD80 family. Shut up.

Hey NAPAUS, you know what really stinks around here? Your attitude! Just shut up. Close your big fat mouth. If you think DC-9s are crap, Northwest operated 40 year old DC-9-30s and -40's. No peace of crap lasts that long! Airbus really sucks, and so do you. MD80s may not be the most fuel eficient, but they last double the time of your great A320 family! The more techno in the cockpit, the more shitty it is, becuse Airbus does not have the glory, the majestic looks, and the long proug American Pride of the McDonnell Douglas MD80 family. Shut up.

I have to agree that there is nothing out there that will last as long as the MD-80. Even though they are not fuel efficient, American Airlines still has faith in the 80. There have been high fuel prices before, and there has been efforts to make more efficient aircraft, but eventually the prices go down. We saw the same issue years ago when Boeing wanted the 7J7 and MD was considering the GE-36 for the MD-80. The prices were high then, but they eventually went down.
I have never flown on an MD-80, but I have seen them plenty of times from the ground, and what a sight they are. I remember being at a house in Pt. Loma outside of San Diego, and watching the American MD-80s fly over the house. They were just a sight of raw power and the noise was amazing. There is just nothing in the air that matches the 80. The EMB-145 may look like it, but they will never be as good and long lasting as the MD-80.

MD-80 is awesome! So Sprit MD-80
are you joining the "Save The 80 Club" ? :D
Sign me up, I liked all of them from the original DC-9-10 series to the 717(MD-95). I'd take them over a 737 any day.For me the best memories were that of a Texas Int'l Series 10 that had only 2 pax and the crew leaving HOT bound for DAL,the pilot flew it like a sports car out of there.I also had the opportunity to fly one of the first flights on the then new 717 with Airtran, sorry to see that line end!It is and was a great aircraft.

Attachments

• dc9_DAC16163.jpg
    dc9_DAC16163.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 333
Even though they are not fuel efficient, American Airlines still has faith in the 80. The EMB-145 may look like it, but they will never be as good and long lasting as the MD-80.

AA does not necessarily "have faith" in the S80. We have no choice. Even though we have over $5 billion in the bank which would buy quite a few new a/c, we gave up/sold our delivery positions on 737s after 9/11 while struggling financially. As it stands right now, we have no new a/c in that size range scheduled for delivery until something like 2013.

The Embraer family is not an option. AA is committed to being an all-Boeing fleet. Granted this could change, but there has been no announcement to the contrary. (The last different story I heard was from an AA f/a who said that her boyfriend is a United pilot, and he told her he knew for a fact that AA was going to get rid of all the 80s and replace them with Airbusses. :lol: )

Also, the economics of the Embraers is wrong for AA. The S80 currently seats 136 (16 F/C, 120 coach). There is a reconfiguration going on which will add 4 seats to coach. (Don't worry, they are not reducing seat pitch. They are taking out two of the three aft galleys to make room for the seats.)

The largest Embraer seats only 110 and that is in an all-coach configuration. There are those that argue that we need an a/c in the 100-seat range for some of our smaller markets, but the company would not eliminate the 140 seat range jets and replace them with 100-seaters.

I think the company does plan to eventually eliminate all the 80s. However, at this point I think they would like to wait on the next generation of/replacement for the 737. The 737 has reached the lifecycle point where it needs to be updated or replaced, but I suspect that Boeing is going to launch the 787 before announcing new plans for the 737-size market.

The DC-9-10, the original RJ! (90 seats but twice the fuel burn.)

FYI, a new 737 replacement, based on the 787 technology is in the works.

Linkety.
Looks like the Mad Dogs still have life, as Midwest just announced they would be acquiring several to supplement their fleet (they took delivery along with Airtran of the last two 717's off the line at LGB.)

The only option, though, is to buy/lease used aircraft. The MD-80/B717 production line was shut down some time ago.

The Seattle Times article about the 737 replacement is pure speculation. When modifiers like "probably" and "most likely" are used, the writer is going on "Conventional Wisdom" of the "If I were Boeing, I would..." type.

But, even if it were true and the replacement came on line in 2012, that would be only a year earlier than our next 737 order. :shock: Of course, as was pointed out on another thread, if AA were to go to Boeing with a major order for 737s, another production line would be opened.

The only option, though, is to buy/lease used aircraft. The MD-80/B717 production line was shut down some time ago.

The Seattle Times article about the 737 replacement is pure speculation. When modifiers like "probably" and "most likely" are used, the writer is going on "Conventional Wisdom" of the "If I were Boeing, I would..." type.

But, even if it were true and the replacement came on line in 2012, that would be only a year earlier than our next 737 order. :shock: Of course, as was pointed out on another thread, if AA were to go to Boeing with a major order for 737s, another production line would be opened.
<_< ---- TWA took delivery of the last MD-80 from Long Beach.