Sodas $3 Pillows and Blankets $5 apiece

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Just seen on www.justplanenews.com an article via the arizonacentral newspaper that US is said to be considering selling sodas for $3.00 and pillows and blankets at $5.00 a piece. Now i dont know but I think $3.00 for soda might be steep but then again this is the sandcastle with the stooges at the wheel we're talking about!

Yea, I agree that $3 is way too much for a soda. Charging a buck would be a bit more in line I would think. As much soda as they buy in bulk, they would still make a killing at $1. Trying to generate a bit more income is one thing, but robbing passengers by charging $3 for a soda is outright wrong to do. :shock:

At any airport you can get a 20 oz bottle for $3.00 or less. And that weighs more than a 12oz can. THus more fuel burn with people bringing their own.

Also, the cost of soda to an airline is just part of the cost. It is the handling cost to get it to the airplane is the expensive part of the deal. Just think of the labor involved by catering from unpacking a case, counting them, putting them in the carts, loading the truck, loading the plane, unloading the carts, counting what was taken off etc. That is where the cost is, not the $0.25 per can (or so) that is paid for the coke.

The expensive part is the increased fuel burn for carrying all of that soda and water weight. I don't know the figures, but it has to be substantial. From day one (when fuel was really cheap) I never understood why airlines gave away sodas. I would pull them off all together and let customers buy what they want in the terminal prior to departure. As a matter of fact, with jet A being around $4 per gallon, I would remove most of the galley fixtures to decrease weight.

What exactly do they expect to happen when PHL passengers realize exactly how much more they DO receive on Southwest? This is a bad idea.

Pull off all of the cans, do bottles and itty bitty cups. You decrease weight and lower costs. Charging for a clean blanket, that I can see, but unless you really are willing to be the cheapest ticket EVERYWHERE, charging for sodas will cost you more in the long run. People may click on the cheapest ticket, but if you continue to trash your product, they'll surf and find another airline. And once you've done something like this, even if you reverse it, you never get some customers back.

This is Tempe misunderstanding the East coast customer again. You can nickel and dime them on some things, but others they'll push back.

The expensive part is the increased fuel burn for carrying all of that soda and water weight. I don't know the figures, but it has to be substantial. From day one (when fuel was really cheap) I never understood why airlines gave away sodas. I would pull them off all together and let customers buy what they want in the terminal prior to departure. As a matter of fact, with jet A being around $4 per gallon, I would remove most of the galley fixtures to decrease weight.
If fuel is such a big deal, what about charging by passenger weight? Say, a dollar per pound. :shock:

i am not surprised by this at all. infact, i knew it was coming. many of you have probrably never flown spirit. they charge $3 for soda's ,water,and coffee. to tell you the truth i don't feel bad charging customers for these items. once these handheld devices get implemented onboard the a/c the sky's the limit on what we will sell. trust me , people will fly us . i do agree that $3 is a bit too much but that's what the competion is doing (spirit) and maybe airtran. as long as they do not cut my pay . i could care less what they do. once again. we are in survival mode . so anything has to be done in order to keep this company going. there is more to come. god knows how much revenue we will generate by using those handhelds .especially whan it becomes cashless.

Seems that US is just giving SouthWest more ways to convince customers to leave US and fly on SW.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...el.3633d88.html
if sw was paying the same for fuel as the others. they would be adding fees themselves. so for now they can enjoy their hedging and put out ad campaigns such as these. it won't last though . they are smart though. taking great advantage of the situation.

Seems that US is just giving SouthWest more ways to convince customers to leave US and fly on SW.

Everyone needs to remember....

The current group of geniuses playing in the Sand Box actually believe people like me only care about getting there on time, without luggage.

If they are right, and the leveragae is ALL arriving on time, scheduling and routes, then people like me will fork over $3.00 per soda...because that's all people like me care about...right?

Jackasses....

And for what it's worth, WN has had better service in coach for a long, long time...one could argue, "but they don't have the movies!" Well, okay...lets keep in mind that one of my best pals just did transcons JFK-LAS-JFK r/t....and the IFE didn't work.

WN has better seat pitch....and they actually clean their airplanes at WN...

The team that runs US management just doesn't get it....

Everyone needs to remember....

The current group of geniuses playing in the Sand Box actually believe people like me only care about getting there on time, without luggage.

If they are right, and the leveragae is ALL arriving on time, scheduling and routes, then people like me will fork over $3.00 per soda...because that's all people like me care about...right?

Jackasses....

And for what it's worth, WN has had better service in coach for a long, long time...one could argue, "but they don't have the movies!" Well, okay...lets keep in mind that one of my best pals just did transcons JFK-LAS-JFK r/t....and the IFE didn't work.

WN has better seat pitch....and they actually clean their airplanes at WN...

The team that runs US management just doesn't get it....
so go fly wn.

Just seen on www.justplanenews.com an article via the arizonacentral newspaper that US is said to be considering selling sodas for $3.00 and pillows and blankets at $5.00 a piece. Now i dont know but I think $3.00 for soda might be steep but then again this is the sandcastle with the stooges at the wheel we're talking about!
Great, Another idea to further drive away customers.

I watched Mr Kirbys PHX video and he was explaining how customers will go to the airline with the cheapest price. Well, how about some ideas that will bring customers here and keep them here instead of driving them away.

Absolutely unbelievable....

wopr21

I saw a SW commercial on TV last night where the f/a was making an announcement like "Ladies and Gentlemen, if you would like a drink it will be $3, a blanket will be $2, if you would like to ring the f/a call button, it will be $1" etc...you get the idea. Then it said that at SW they give you for free what other airlines are charging for. Then I saw another commericial from SW where people were boarding the airplane and they were having to insert money to open the OBH, to open the window shades, etc. and they said they won't nickel and dime you to death at SW like other airlines do. SW is laughing their butts off at the rest of us.

Soda pop is nothing but carbonated sugar water with a lot of chemicals added.

Have a wholesome, nutritious beer instead! Even at 9AM on a Sunday it’s the breakfast of champions.

BRAAAAP!
There you go .... charge for sodas and give beer away. Everyone would be much happier.

wopr21

Latest posts