Sodas $3 Pillows and Blankets $5 apiece

At any airport you can get a 20 oz bottle for $3.00 or less. And that weighs more than a 12oz can. THus more fuel burn with people bringing their own.

Also, the cost of soda to an airline is just part of the cost. It is the handling cost to get it to the airplane is the expensive part of the deal. Just think of the labor involved by catering from unpacking a case, counting them, putting them in the carts, loading the truck, loading the plane, unloading the carts, counting what was taken off etc. That is where the cost is, not the $0.25 per can (or so) that is paid for the coke.

hmmmm. this got me wondering. If fuel costs get high enough could an airline be bold enough to charge passengers based on weight? Would that be legal? would that be discrimination? freight companies charge based on weight for freight. Is air travel a right or a privelage, (obviously assist devices would not count).

hmmmm. this got me wondering. If fuel costs get high enough could an airline be bold enough to charge passengers based on weight?

Bring back scales to crew rooms!!!!!!!!!!!

scale.jpg

Perhaps we could just remove the galleys and replace them with vending machines.

maybe the company can install soda fountains in the galley to save weight instead of having all these cans?

ps
chicken or beef
i love your avatar! i remember seeing the pig on the news! hahahaha :lol:
av-10385.jpg

hmmmm. this got me wondering. If fuel costs get high enough could an airline be bold enough to charge passengers based on weight? Would that be legal? would that be discrimination? freight companies charge based on weight for freight. Is air travel a right or a privelage, (obviously assist devices would not count).
I can see the International Association of Fat People putting together their legal team now...lol

Why is the industry being over capacity my problem? Sure it squeezes margins, but if I'm taking care of my customers and offering the best possible value proposition between price and service I shouldn't have to worry about what my competitor charges. Kinda like WN??????
So you have finally recognized that WN offers the best value proposition between price and service and have started flying them regularly?

The funny thing is....WN will grow capacity next year...and CO won't grow like they were going to, but they'll grow too.

WN, because of their model, will be the big winner.
I'm not sure what's "funny" about it. It makes perfect sense. WN and to a lesser extent CO have a lower cost structure and are better managed, so they will not be impacted as severely as fuel costs rise, and may be able to take advantage of their position of (relative) strength. (I wonder how much they will actually end up growing over the next year, though, especially CO.)

The funny thing is....WN will grow capacity next year...and CO won't grow like they were going to, but they'll grow too.

WN, because of their model, will be the big winner.

And I keep hearing all this doomsday talk about their fuel hedges expiring....lemme tell ya, they communicate their "value proposition" SO well to their customers, don't be REMOTELY surprised when their customers "buy into it" and keep flying them.

Question for Travis and the other marketing geniuses in the Sand Castle out there...."do you know what a value proposition to the customer is?"

(Why am I asking that...the answer is of course no....)

Historically, WN has had a "break even" business model that makes them profitable at 70% load factor. Not exactly sure what it is now. But it was WELL known for a number of years amongst biz travelers, "the best chance to have an open middle seat is to fly WN."

I honestly haven't been on many WN flights with less then 90% load factor of late....and they aren't KILLING it money-wise...so I suspect this has changed.
A few months ago, I flew on a WN flight with 8 passengers. Yes, i was one of 8. The plane took off and flew. I couldn't believe they didnt cancel it...

could be fun... maybe we'll even get our own barcodes that we could wear on our shirts, just like UPS packages...

Did you guys see the full page ad in today's Wall St Journal? OMG is WN having fun with this... Its a big cut out coupon that says...

Don't $%&$^%$ Me Over

and is says something below it like, Southwest is the only airline currently accepting this coupon.

OMG....so I am listening to KYW and they actually mention something about airlines charging for weight and they "interview" someone for his reaction. They guy says, WHAT?! Are they going to charge by color next!?

Interesting that UA is doing away with TED and adding FC cabins to those aircraft. Meanwhile Tempe believes its bread and butter is the Ma and Pa Kettles crammed in the back of the bus.