Southeast Airlines

Windsocknc

Feb 6, 2004
I am looking for information on Southeast Airlines based in PIE. Any personal experiences or things you can tell me that I cannot find out on the company's website would be great.

Information on pilot hiring, payscales and future growth would also be appreciated.

i know Southeast flies out of ABE (Allentown PA) to PIE, FLL, Columbus-Ricckenbecker airport and onto LAS as well as to Tampa Clearwater St Petersburg
and Orlando Sanford. They operate all or most of USAir's old DC-9-30s and they have a bunch of MD87s and MD-80s. I hope this helps out. I dont know anything about the pay but at my station they have a contracted ramp agents that will soon be taken over by the airport.

robbedagain said:
They operate all or most of USAir's old DC-9-30s and they have a bunch of MD87s and MD-80s.
"All or most" is a bit of a stretch, since Southeast operates fewer than 10 DC-9-31/-32s. And not all of them are ex-US airplanes.
"A bunch" is also overstated, as they only have five or six MD-82/-88s. No -87s.

The MD82/88's are the old Air Aruba if I am correct. I know I have seen 11FQ in Southeast colors.

Hope777 said:
The MD82/88's are the old Air Aruba if I am correct. I know I have seen 11FQ in Southeast colors.
Correct on the -88s. The -82s are ex-KAL.

:down:

This was copied straight from the Aviation Interviews website.

Interview experience:
Do yourself a huge favor and stay away from here, even if you are on furlough! This place is an affront to the piloting profession. Each day of ground school was filled with more bad news about how we could expect to be treated. Manuals were not complete. We've done numerous revisions already. Ground training is unprofessional. The owner even told us on the first day that if we didn't like non-sched. on demand type flying, we should start looking for another job. It used to be that everyone was based at PIE, so you could live here in the Tampa area which was nice. If you lived somewhere else, they would buy you a ticket to get where the plane was. They deal with Apple Vacations, so the planes are all over the place along the Northeast. Ratty DC-9's and 2 MD80's. But then they decided to squeeze even more blood from a stone by coming up with ghost bases. Overnight, they changed everything. Now the bases will be PIE, CLE, PHL, ABE, FLL, BWI, EWR. You will be responsible for getting yourself there and they can change these at any time. They did away with all the multi-day trips and instead made them into long out and backs so they don't have to pay per diem. That's right, they don't pay per diem unless you stay overnight somewhere, which is non-existent! Still don't know where we'll be based. When asked about parking passes at these bases, they said that we would probably have to pay for those. Somebody asked we he would have to cover PHL if he was based at BWI...answer was "it's only a 3 hour drive". Yeah, well it would be in your personal car too. Plus you'd have to pay for parking at PHL. They hire captains off the street. If you upgrade, you do not carry your seniority into the captain seat...you start at the bottom of the captain list. Nice huh? They do not pay for hotel rooms during training. What we saw of the schedules, they are an abortion. How about flying 6 days in ACY, 1 day off, then another 4. My friend who has been working there for a few months told me that once he had just finished a 4 day trip. You have to call them when the trip completes to see if they have anything else for you. He had the next 5 days off. They told him to go home and get a change of clothes because they were assigning him a 5 day trip on his days off. 2 of those 5 were days spent sitting in a hotel room somewhere (this was before everything went to all out and backs). The company counted those 2 days in the hotel as days off! These people think that reserve means you have to be available 24 hours a day with no designated 8 hour break. One day off within 7 days to them means any 24 hours free of duty. Yet they can split that 24 hours into pieces. They even think they can schedule you to fly 9.5 domestic hours in a day if they put a relief captain on board. This place is a walking violation. No wonder most of the pilots hate it here. This place is Lucifer's realm. So stay away unless you want to plunge yourself into hell.

Many of the non-scheds work like that....this is nothing new.......unfortunetly, with so many pilots out of work, they know they can find another previously qualified 9/80 pilot in a heartbeat...throw them through a short course...then use and abuse another pilot!!!

Thanks for the info folks. Unfortunately, all of your info jives with the research I have been doing. Too bad... I may need a new job soon. :rant:

I especially liked the part about Southeast being "Lucifer's realm." No thanks! I already worked for one airline where Beezlebub reigned supreme... Trans States.

i know at my station (ABE) Southeast has contracted ramp and inside agents (recently brought out by the airport) working the Southeast flights. And the ramp agents still havent figured out how to do the job safely.

Back