Southeast snow

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/total-chaos-1-3-inches-snow-cripples-metro-atlanta/nc53r/

Total chaos: 1-3 inches of snow cripples metro Atlanta
The blizzard of '93 brought more snow than most Atlanta natives had ever seen or will see.
The floods of 2009 brought an unexpected rush of water that submerged interstates.
The winter storm of 2011 took an entire week away from the city.
But the Snow Jam of 2014 might be the single craziest weather day in Atlanta in a generation.
1-to-3 inches of snow, mixed in with an afternoon drive that  still hasn't ended has brought Atlanta to its knees again
How did Delta fare in ATL?

just posted... according to flightstats DL operated about 40% of its mainline ATL operation with an 80% arrival OT ratio yesterday. They are operating 60% today with 50% arrival OT.

National media is roasting government officials in N. Georgia for failing to plan and for outright denying that they were warned of this weather event - but did nothing.

DL cancelled half of its domestic operation for yesterday almost 24 hours in advance.

DL does have its own meteorologists but others were saying the same thing.

it is a complete embarassment for Georgia and Alabama officials who refused to pretreat the roads and then couldn't dispatch salt trucks after the roads were full of cars when all of the schools and businesses let out at the same time, 3 to 4 hours early.

Reactions: 1 person
Dont call me Shirley said:
How did Delta fare in ATL?
Lots of metering into/out of ATL.

Hundreds of pre-emptive cxls starting Monday night and continuing on as I write this.

"Internal"  GDP's implemented.

2-4 hr delays on many flights.

And so on...

1-3" of snow is a nice July day in MSP.    :p

About 40% of the airport's flight schedule today — more than 473 departures and more than 526 arrivals -- had been canceled there as of 2:50 p.m. ET. That's partly fallout from Atlanta's problems on Tuesday, when more than 930 combined arrivals and departures were canceled. Many of Wednesday morning's cancellations resulted from planes or crew being out of position from Tuesday's disruption.

But it also came as the Atlanta metro area struggled to get going Wednesday after 2 to 3 inches of snow fell there on Tuesday. Many highways remained coated with ice as of mid-day and mass transit systems were running at reduced capacity. That was complicating efforts of airport workers attempting to get to the airport.

USA TODAY: Just a few inches of snow brings Atlanta-area to a halt
Delta and other airlines hoped to begin a recovery in Atlanta later today, working to get planes and crews back into their regular schedules. Still, especially with Wednesday's lingering problems, it could take airlines 24 to 72 hours, perhaps longer, to accommodate all of the fliers whose plans have been disrupted by this week's wintry weather.
That also was true nationwide, where delays and cancellations snarled thousands of flights at other key airports as well.
Charlotte, a hub for US Airways, and Houston Bush Intercontinental, a hub for United, each had about 14% of their Wednesday flights grounded as of 2:50 p.m. ET,

5747_10152212336714380_347688886_n.jpg

NYC knows that salt has more uses than just in the kitchen. Drivers had NO HELP from the government leaders.

Complete leadership failure in Georgia. And the people paid and are paying an enormous price for that failure.

live traffic maps
http://www.511ga.org/

Is it me or have there been more, and more severe, icy/cold/winter days so far this winter than in the typical winter?    

I was at an event last night for the Author who the Bones tv series was based on and I drove in the snow, I had no issues.

xUT said:
It's amazing how people can't drive in 3" of snow... :p
Def not defending ATL but maybe it was the untreated roads with ice under the snow
combined with unskilled drivers?
Why after all these years they can't invest in salt/ice melt trucks is beyond me.  
The city officials are incompetent. 

Kev3188 said:
Not just you! It's been a wild one... and it's not even February yet...
Exactly.   It's only January 29.   For you guys who work outside in this weather, you've really taken it on the chin.   

Here in my corner of Los Angeles, it's currently 77, like it's been for several weeks. 

On Sunday, the local news station showed a story from New Orleans, where icy bridges last Friday resulted in pile-ups on the bridge and the NOLA local police didn't even show up until Saturday noon.   Took the local PD almost 24 hours to arrive.   One direction of the bridge was closed the entire time, as nothing was done, no cars were towed until mid-day on Saturday.    How many icy days like that does New Orleans get?   

Latest posts