Southwest Airlines, pilot negotiators have ‘agreement in principle’ in contract talks

swamt said:
Just heard that SWA Pilots voted their contract down with about 62% NO votes and 38 YES votes. Don't have any further info at this time.
They've kept a very tight lid on the T/A details. Makes you wonder what it would have taken to swing 11% the other way.

Birdman said:
They've kept a very tight lid on the T/A details. Makes you wonder what it would have taken to swing 11% the other way.
I have read several news articles that state they will return to the mediated talks by some time in spring of 2016, and both sides have stated such.  That's a 5-6 month break with no talks.
I have seen the TA details and I honestly think it wouldn't take a huge change, but SWAPA will poll the membership and find out what it will take pass that on in nego and boom, another vote and a pass as long as the issues gathered are addressed.  I do know the pool of money set to the side for signing bonus is way too low for the pilots.  Another stickler was this new "allowance" offer by the co.  and pretty sure the % is going to have to be increased.  Just guesses by me but what do I know, I'm no pilot.  Judging by all these dates looks like co might start getting serious with us after the spring of 2016...

Reactions: 1 person
I have read that the pilots are willing to meet with the company anytime, not only with mediators next spring.
Their Press realease seems to indicate that also.

“Our membership has spoken and we will return to the bargaining table in order to bring our pilots a contract they can rally behind,” said SWAPA President Capt. Paul Jackson. “Despite increased compensation and some work rule improvements, there were new company allowances in this agreement that our pilots did not find palatable when compared to the potential gains. While feedback was received during the voting process, we will need to pinpoint which exact issues our membership need addressed with the Company.”
SWAPA’s board of directors will convene in Dallas next week to collectively decide the next steps toward a return to negotiations.
“We are willing to meet with company management at any time to continue work toward a deal that meets the needs of our pilots,” continued Jackson. “SWAPA will regroup, bring in our board of directors next week, and begin preparations to return to collective bargaining.”

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/swapa/assets/pdf/Press_Releases/Southwest_Airlines_Pilots_Reject_Tentative_Agreement.pdf?mtime=1446672502

Well it appears in this article that Retro and code share are the main reasons.  Not sure where this reporter got his info but it is interesting to read.  I am hoping the number 1 reason is the RETRO, as it is for the mechanics. We must stay strong on the RETRO issue, otherwise, this massive delay will happen every single time contracts come to amendment. Any hoot, here it is...

Why Southwest’s pilots just rejected a massive pay raise

Delta Pilots are now asking for a double percentile increase in wages since the airline is making record profits.  Kinda wondering where this will put the SWA Pilots for their ask in wages?  Maybe the co (SWA) should have accepted the Pilots original ask of somewhere between 3-5%.  And maybe they would have been better off accepting the mechanics original ask as well. Just goes to show that both the Pilots group and the mechanics group were asking for very, very reasonable wage increases.  Now, this will all change with all the record profits.  Things could get very interesting by this coming spring with the 3 main groups still left without contracts, Pilots, Mechanics and F/A's...

Delta's pilots union seeks big wage hike as profits surge: Bbg

swamt said:
JMHO-PO & Experience.

The 'pilots' will throw your A$$ under the bus faster than anything.

IIRC  Pres of ALPO at UA BK stated that ALPO has no problem with outsourcing maintenance.

If you think that their 'angst' has has 'anything' to do with your plight, you are in for a rude awakening.

These Hillbillies will give you a reach around without as much as a kiss on the cheek.

Pilots are not 'union' in a sense that they will not support any other union than themselves.

You will 'never' see the solidarity of Pilots with unions that we saw at EAL.

Now their jobs are on the block.

Fu#$ Them!

B) xUT

We do not feel that way about our Pilots.  I have no idea why you responded in the way you did and I will leave it at that.

swamt said:
We do not feel that way about our Pilots.  I have no idea why you responded in the way you did and I will leave it at that.
i think the more important question is how do they feel about you? 

xUT said:
JMHO-PO & Experience.

The 'pilots' will throw your A$$ under the bus faster than anything.

IIRC  Pres of ALPO at UA BK stated that ALPO has no problem with outsourcing maintenance.

If you think that their 'angst' has has 'anything' to do with your plight, you are in for a rude awakening.

These Hillbillies will give you a reach around without as much as a kiss on the cheek.

Pilots are not 'union' in a sense that they will not support any other union than themselves.

You will 'never' see the solidarity of Pilots with unions that we saw at EAL.

Now their jobs are on the block.

Fu#$ Them!

B) xUT
Same deal at Delta. 
Lot of the pilots really think they are more important than anyone else. 

but can't fly that plane till I sign it off....... 

Reactions: 2 people
topDawg said:
i think the more important question is how do they feel about you? 

Same deal at Delta. 
Lot of the pilots really think they are more important than anyone else. 

but can't fly that plane till I sign it off.......
How many executives think they're more important than Pilots? How many Pilots think they're more important than FA's and Mechanics? How many in those groups think they're more important than Ramp? How many Ramp think they're more important than Cleaners?

Elitism is a mindset caused by insecurity that someone may be more important than they are and need someone else to look down on.