Southwest approaches unions for concessions

Kev, our 20% reduction was also hours to be within the letter of the law for the CARES Act, so yes, I got more time with my family. That also opened up opportunities for others to pick up a second job. I know some people who made more money becoming delivery drivers than what their effective pay cut was. That wouldn't have been practical if it was an actual pay cut versus hours reduction.

This definitely made taking a cut an easier pill to swallow. I've certainly enjoyed having an extra day to do "whatever."

And again, it'll be up to WN employees to collectively answer, but if it's down to pay cut or trim hours, I'd vote for the latter.

That's all well and good, but take it from someone from another airline, there are many byproducts associated with layoffs..... and Herb is no longer there and the culture isn't what it used to be.

That what scares most all the unions that have chimed in so far, without Herb still here, not so sure things would go as smooth. I am sure if it does get that rough our unions will be smart enough to get the correct language with snapbacks and deadlines included, otherwise, no one would even consider it now a days. The culture you speak of was extremely damaged by the nego's that took over 6.5 years to get a new contract when they know full well they could had a much, much cheaper one from the get go when AMFA's first offer was to simply extend the contract as is with 3% raises baked in for COLA raises. Now it will take some time to get that relationship back, but, I will say the company has taken so moves towards that coming sooner and need to make some more. Some upper management have been moved, replaced or flat out gone since our nego's ended so we will see if this trend continues, but until then, I am positive AMFA will not just up and agree to any concessions right now. You can't mend that open wound so quickly and now the company will realize just how bad it will hurt them for doing nego's the way they did. If they never did that I assure you AMFA would be in discussions about an agreement, but THEY ruined all that.

It's all about the dues.

No it's not. Matter fact it has nothing to do with the dues with AMFA. It is in fact about how they treated us during those almost 7 years of disrespected game playing fiasco BS is what it is all about now. And once it was all over with, hearing what Landon Nitschi told one of our leaders after there was a new agreement hammered out over a very long weekend, was the nail in the coffin for any kind of willingness to work together for some time. If GK wants to know why AMFA is not willing to work with him, he needs to go look at and have that discussion with the nego cmte and ALL the leaders that were in the positions and controlling nego's and yes Landon Nitski was one of them, claiming he had us right where they wanted us.
Again, it has nothing to do with the dues and everything to do with how "they" destroyed the culture relationship between AMFA and the company that the company and AMFA charrished approx 10 years ago, no longer exist, although KK is working his tail off to get that relationship back...

No it's not. Matter fact it has nothing to do with the dues with AMFA. It is in fact about how they treated us during those almost 7 years of disrespected game playing fiasco BS is what it is all about now. And once it was all over with, hearing what Landon Nitschi told one of our leaders after there was a new agreement hammered out over a very long weekend, was the nail in the coffin for any kind of willingness to work together for some time. If GK wants to know why AMFA is not willing to work with him, he needs to go look at and have that discussion with the nego cmte and ALL the leaders that were in the positions and controlling nego's and yes Landon Nitski was one of them, claiming he had us right where they wanted us.
Again, it has nothing to do with the dues and everything to do with how "they" destroyed the culture relationship between AMFA and the company that the company and AMFA charrished approx 10 years ago, no longer exist, although KK is working his tail off to get that relationship back...

Hey there SWAMT,
Some on this board just don't get it.. This is the sole reason we went down with the ship at NWA fighting rather than give into concessions. Our management never honored any promises in the years I worked there 1988-2005 it was always a battle we thru out the iam got AMFA finally got a good contract then 9/11 hit and they used the "force majure' clause in the contract to wreak havoc we told NW to pound it they forced us out on strike and off the property and it was by design they knew they were merging with DL. But in all the years I have been in this industry I have never ever seen concessions work no matter what airline. They have always furloughed anyway even with concessions and I have yet to ever see concessions returned when times get better. You guys fought too hard and long for that contract. Make them figure other ways to soften the blow right now but do not give up pay or language. If they want an MOU short term time off like your are doing now fine but tread carefully. Funny thing I almost took an MX control job with you guys 12 or so years ago right after that group went AMFA I decided to stay at FX I am glad I did now with this COVID decimating the passenger airlines. Always something throwing a monkey wrench in the works in aviation. Best of luck to you guys ..

Hey there SWAMT,
Some on this board just don't get it.. This is the sole reason we went down with the ship at NWA fighting rather than give into concessions. Our management never honored any promises in the years I worked there 1988-2005 it was always a battle we thru out the iam got AMFA finally got a good contract then 9/11 hit and they used the "force majure' clause in the contract to wreak havoc we told NW to pound it they forced us out on strike and off the property and it was by design they knew they were merging with DL. But in all the years I have been in this industry I have never ever seen concessions work no matter what airline. They have always furloughed anyway even with concessions and I have yet to ever see concessions returned when times get better. You guys fought too hard and long for that contract. Make them figure other ways to soften the blow right now but do not give up pay or language. If they want an MOU short term time off like your are doing now fine but tread carefully. Funny thing I almost took an MX control job with you guys 12 or so years ago right after that group went AMFA I decided to stay at FX I am glad I did now with this COVID decimating the passenger airlines. Always something throwing a monkey wrench in the works in aviation. Best of luck to you guys ..

I know, some just don't get it and unfortunately never will. I think you know very well, but I applaud you and your X-coharts from NWA. You guys literally took one for the team and showed the aviation community just how it is supposed to be done when a membership fights for the membership and not the IGM'ers only looking out for themselves, so I do salute you and all them for standing for your members and industry as a whole.
Now back to your comments; Please know that we (AMFA and the mechanics) would always work with our co. hand and hand to do anything it takes to keep SWA afloat in bad times. Note; We helped out SWA back in the 90's by buying and paying for aircraft fuel for flights and yes it was with our own money taken out of our checks to help pay for aircraft fuel. We would more than likely do that again now. But we don't agree with cutting the pay, but AMFA is in agreement with nego ways to save a bunch of $$$ and save a ton and in fact are still in discussions with the company about these suggestions, but, as I will provide at the bottom, AMFA does not agree to cutting pay or bennies when there is STILL no guarantee that there won't be layoffs in the future. AMFA has brought up many ways to work with and help SWA save $$$ when it comes to maint. and repairs to the aircraft, and one of those ways being discussed now is bringing in more maint inhouse to save $$$, also in talks about component work as well.
Also, AMFA does not agree with pay cuts as you well know, just like our Pilots and F/A's also do not agree with that route, so we are all in discussions about ways to save SWA $$$.
BTW: Great choice in staying with FedEx since we went into this pandemic era.

Here is the response from AMFA about the requested concessions SWA wants:

AMFA-SWA ALR MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
Updated On: Oct 08, 2020
lg-share-en.gif

October 8, 2020

To All AMFA Members at Southwest Airlines:

Today, October 8, 2020, your Airline Representatives (ALR) and legal counsel attended an online meeting with the Company at the request of Southwest Airlines (SWA). As you may have seen or heard from Gary Kelly this week, SWA is seeking concessions from its union-represented employees, thus prompting today’s meeting. We denied the Company’s request to sign non-disclosure agreements prior to this meeting that request because you – as AMFA members and Southwest employees -- deserve to know what is going on, especially when the Company seeks to extract concessions from your contracts.

The Company presented a formal request of a ten percent (10%) reduction to base wages and premiums for every group AMFA represents at SWA, to begin January 1, 2021, and run through the entire year. In addition, any step or annual raises would be frozen during that same period. The Company indicated, if accepted, it would not furlough any AMFA member or seek additional concessions. Unfortunately, that promise rang hollow when it was immediately qualified with “barring unforeseen or uncontrollable circumstances.”

AMFA is willing to engage in discussions with the Company aimed to identify possible cost saving measures that do not require concessions to our contracts, which have been earned by your sweat equity over many years at SWA. The Company continues to outsource large amounts of your work to vendors; therefore, we should focus on reducing costs by bringing that work back to the Southwest family where our members stand ready, willing, and able to show just how productive we are. Collaborative solutions such as these will prove more valuable than empty asks for fixed percentage reductions to our compensation.

Yesterday, Gary Kelly sent a letter to union representatives in which he, prior to formally requesting concessions, attempted to blame the unions for any WARN Act notices he may decide to send. Mr. Kelly asked the unions to keep concession negotiations “simple, move swiftly, and give our People a chance to vote.” He went on to say, “absent that, you are choosing to send WARN notices to our People on November 1.” It is the CEO and his senior management that will decide whether or not to send Southwest employees WARN Act Notices, not the respective unions.

We are not interested in concessions to our contracts. We will, however, engage with the Company to consider cost saving measures while protecting your contracts in the face of requests for concessions. We will defend and enforce all three AMFA contracts at SWA, which each contain language restricting any reduction in force of our members while Southwest continues to outsource your work. The solidarity of our members, especially during these times, is our strength.

In Solidarity,

Your AMFA–SWA Airline Representatives