Southwest giving perks to business travelers

JS

Veteran
Aug 24, 2002
DFW
Visit site
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/t...ss-select_N.htm

Southwest Airlines (LUV), the feisty and unconventional airline founded in the 1970s on cheap fares and one-class service, will start actively courting high-paying business travelers and allowing them to be among the first to board flights.
The Dallas-based discount giant on Wednesday announced changes that CEO Gary Kelly said will generate at least $100 million a year in additional revenue by attracting business travelers willing to spend more for tickets.

The changes come at a time when Southwest's operating costs are rising and industry competition is intensifying for business customers, who tend to book late and pay more.

Starting today, Southwest is raising last-minute fares — its highest — and calling that category "business select." Customers who buy those tickets will get a guaranteed place in Southwest's "A" boarding group. Southwest doesn't assign seats but puts passengers into A, B and C boarding groups that determine the order for boarding.

"Business select" customers will also get a complimentary cocktail and will be able to earn points faster in Rapid Rewards, Southwest's loyalty program.

I like this idea.

Doesn't this fly in the face of Southwest's fundamental claim that no one passenger was more important than any other? It would appear that with this new way of thinking, LUV has taken a sledgehammer to that premise.

not really the egalitarianism is still present.....by definition : a belief in human equality especially with respect to social, political, and economic rights and privileges .....everyone has a fair shot at paying the extra money..its not reserved for any one group, or person. in some markets its only 15.00 more- so like anything else -you pick and choose- and its inclusive of anyone who wants to partake! :up: Everyone will continue to be treated with the same LUV and concern as always. Do you honestly think that the company contact employees will "treat" someone better just because of the "Y" class fare? I Don't think so. They are NOT even going to draw attention and make a gate announcment during boarding like: "we are now taking our Buisness Select group to board first" it is business as usual- except for standing in line.. Even if Mr. or Ms. Biz Select show up late or misconnect, they forfeit their "status" if you will...

Doesn't this fly in the face of Southwest's fundamental claim that no one passenger was more important than any other? It would appear that with this new way of thinking, LUV has taken a sledgehammer to that premise.
Not quite. They made the playing field a little unlevel for the full fare business passenger who might not have a ticket 24 hours prior to the flight. Before they opened check in to 24 hours in advance, a guying buying a ticket an hour before the flight had about an equal chance of nabbing an A card. When they implemented 24 hour advance check in, the person who was paying full fare and buying the ticket that morning might end up with a C card. This only levels the playing field for those people.

Free booze and business select, here we go with Cont, DAL, UAL, and USA down the yellow brick road.
Not quite. If I don't fly one of the others enough to become "elite", I get nothing. If I only fly Southwest once, but pay full fare - I get far more for that flight than other guys who diligently fly the others in order to attain "elite" status do in a year.

Free booze and business select, here we go with Cont, DAL, UAL, and USA down the yellow brick road.
Free Booze???? IIRC, I read there would a be a Free Drink(one). "Freeze Booze" sounds like a Frat party where it is flowing.... If I was one of you folks who worked there, I'd see how it goes before I ruined a diaper. JMO....

Great, more competition for an A seat - now I'll have to get on the web within 5 min instead within an hour at 24hr before mark. The Prices getting worse too....a lose/lose situation. At least their numbering the boarding passes - I guess they'll be starting the boarding process an extra 10 min earlier to allow more time - anyway - with so many delays from multiple connection routes and hubs , you're still going to be delayed.

The Prices getting worse too....a lose/lose situation.

Not sure what you mean by prices getting worse. If I booked a flight from MCI-DAL today, returning tomorrow and opted for business select, I would spend $310. I remember when a similar flight like that (before Southwest served DAL from MCI) would run about $855.

What I mean by prices getting worse is that now there are 3 columns set up under their site - set up basically as:
...............expensive, expense, deal......... prices. The deal prices are getting worse. I could care less about the business select group as a single consumer on a trim budget.

What I mean by prices getting worse is that now there are 3 columns set up under their site - set up basically as:
...............expensive, expense, deal......... prices. The deal prices are getting worse. I could care less about the business select group as a single consumer on a trim budget.
That same Dallas trip booked in advance was $100...how is that worse?

I'm talking about the prices within the Deal column at least for my regular route SAN to SMF.
Southwest has that route market cornered unfortunately. As far as Dallas routes are concerned, I havent
followed those pricings - but I'd suspect they'll be edging up as well. Also the site has made it a bit more
work to find/check the best price - now you have to scan the whole column for price instead of just checking if the column price you'll buy at is there or not....

Over time the deal prices have been getting worse - probably a direct result of inflationary fuel pricing pass offs. And dont forget the ridiculous security fees for inept security.

I'm talking about the prices within the Deal column at least for my regular route SAN to SMF.
Southwest has that route market cornered unfortunately. As far as Dallas routes are concerned, I havent
followed those pricings - but I'd suspect they'll be edging up as well. Also the site has made it a bit more
work to find/check the best price - now you have to scan the whole column for price instead of just checking if the column price you'll buy at is there or not....

Over time the deal prices have been getting worse - probably a direct result of inflationary fuel pricing pass offs. And dont forget the ridiculous security fees for inept security.

So --- who is this poster?

My bet is one of our good friends (who also is threatened by WN) got themselves another moniker.

What a country!

Seems like a good move for WN. Although I don't necessarily seeing it cut too much into the other majors business traffic. While WN is the largest domestic airline by measure of passengers flown they still do not go everywhere that the business passenger needs to fly. There are major cities, business centers that are not in their route structure like ATL, CVG, NYC (although you can say they do fly to ISP) now I am not putting WN down. They are great at what they do and they have great employees and a great vision and execute what it means to be an airline much better than most of their peers. I think this will help them get some more business in some city pairs that previously the business passenger might have overlooked them, specifically now like STL to PHL where they have a nonstop. With these new changes they are now more appealing to Dividend Miles members who really are loosing their loyalty to US airways anyways who are competing on the route with an express carrier with thus no upgrades....

Well, you'll need to blame the government for the security fees.

As for the fares, the "Business Select" fare for SAN-SMF tomorrow is $149 each way. The lowest JetBlue JFK-RDU (a slightly shorter distance) fare for tomorrow is $179. PHX-FAT (slightly longer) tomorrow on so-called LCC US Airways-operated-by-Mesa is $332 one-way. The two-week advance purchase fare for SAN-SMF on WN goes as low as $59, which seems far from unreasonable.