Southwest Going Back To Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
This leads to another question though: when the legacy carriers begin their recovery and emerge from Ch 11, will labor be first in line demanding payback for their sacrifices thus starting the rollercoaster all over again?

Labor will expect some payback, but there will be some structural changes that will be in place that will temper the effect. Keep in mind, I haven't even looked at the UAL payscales in 3 years, so my numbers could be off here and there.
1. the DB pension is gone. In the past, it was very easy to make some VERY expensive pension changes that benefitted certain groups and went below the radar. One change was furloughees from the early 80's were given credit for furlough years. Apparently, this was a big deal to one of former MC's. But consider the cost of giving a 400 Capt credit for 5 more years for his pension benefit. Now, that kind of retroactivity will be difficult.
2. I'm pretty sure UAL's wages are staying pretty much the same until the contract re-opens in 4 years. That means it will take 15% just to get us back to the level of pay that was implemented in BK. So really, how big would a 20-30% payraise be? Plus, if you took a 50% paycut, then a 50% payraise, you'd be at around 75% of where you started. In all honesty, it would take a 100% payraise in 2009 to get the pilot group back to where they were (adjusted for COL).
3. The company will surely be dangling the growth carrot. By 2009, if we are not in a recession, UAL will be growing like gangbusters. The company will make all sorts of promises about 787's ect.
4. One of the issues that led to the problems in 2000 was the inability for employees to actually benefit from ownership. The management at the time was buying back Billions of $ worth of stiock to jack up the value of their options, while we had to just sit on ours until retirement in 20 years (or until BK......). That'll be differant also.

Obviously your choice, as you said. That's probably given you time to persue the activity of "hedging yourself!" Good thinking! (Were you able to retain your number in the event the situation meets your standards sometime in the future?)

The way it works is they of course call the most senior furloughee first. He can "bypass". Then when they get to the bottom of the list, they will start at the bottom and work up when the actually have to start "forcing hands". Of course when a senior furloughee decides he wants to come back, he jumps to the front of the line. UAL currently has around 2000 furloughees. My understanding is that it's taken 3 calls to get one Furloughee to show up to work. They actual stat for folks "accepting recall" is higher, but only due to the wise lads who went back in to the A.F. to finish 20. They won't be back for quite a while. Considering the first recalls were folks who in many cases didn't expect a lengthy furlough, so didn't pursue other things, one can make the leep that the bypass rate will only increase as they go down the list. While I can't say this about the pre-BK payrates, with todays payrates and working conditions, getting furloughed was the best career move many of us have seen. I expect the company will have to go through all of the remaining 2000 furloughees to get 500 to show up at training.

Why do people still on the list willing to work for the current wages? Simple. If you could sell a seniority number at UAL on Ebay to anyone with the appropriate qualifications, how much would you get? how much for a 737 Capt? 400 FO? 400 Capt?. Glenn figured that out and he is in essence requiring the pilot group to pay him for their positions on the seniority list. In a sense you could say a 737 Capt is making $180 and hour, but paying the company back $60 of that for the job. That's what he values walking away and starting over at. For those of us NOT slipping the surlies, it's a little differant equation, although I'm sure USA320Pilot would pay big bucks for my seniority number..... :p :lol: ;)

Come on now. Give the "BusDrvr" a break. I enjoy watching him skew his messages to his viewpoint probably just as much as he enjoys my doing the same. We both obviously want to defend our companies. In fact, I like the "BusDrvr" so much I even created a new avatar to acknowledge the inspiration behind the creation of his airline "Theodore" :D

You go right ahead and waste your time trying to reason with an idiot who maintains that WN has a "failed business plan". I've got better things to do.
I just cannot stand arrogant windbags.

BusDrvr,

AGAIN, just YOUR biased opinion that Frontier is an unsafe airline! You're just spouting with nothing to back it up with! We are EVERY bit a professional airline operation the same as UniTED. All of you at UniTED just think that your BETTER than everyone else in the airline business. I've worked there and I pitty all of you who continue to take in the A$$ at UniTED. At least places like SWA, Jet Blue, and Frontier are fun places to work everyday!

I agree with MGA's post of you just being an arrogant windbag! :up:

You go right ahead and waste your time trying to reason with an idiot who maintains that WN has a "failed business plan". I've got better things to do.
I just cannot stand arrogant windbags.

Yeah and I can't stand pr1cks. GTH. If you've got something to add, then add it. Otherwise be a punk elsewhere. Typical though, far be it for someone to disagree with you or dare criticise your religion (your luv with Herb cult). Instead of offering up a real reply, you start hurling your feces at the walls. Grow up.

BusDrvr,

AGAIN, just YOUR biased opinion that Frontier is an unsafe airline! You're just spouting with nothing to back it up with! We are EVERY bit a professional airline operation the same as UniTED. All of you at UniTED just think that your BETTER than everyone else in the airline business. I've worked there and I pitty all of you who continue to take in the A$$ at UniTED. At least places like SWA, Jet Blue, and Frontier are fun places to work everyday!

I agree with MGA's post of you just being an arrogant windbag! :up:

Unlike your biased opinion of UAL? Maybe it's a character trait of yours, but I never "took it up the a$$" at UAL. Is that how you made it through the interview at FRNT? A few special favors? I'm glad it's "fun" to work at FRNT, that'll make the coming paycuts less painfull. Think of it as "astroglide"

What one person considers "fun" another may not. For me, I would absolutely freak if I had to fly domestic. So that would NOT be "fun". Actually, the day I have to fly domestic, I'll quit. So you go right ahead Fish, enjoy your "fun" airline. I'll stay over here and fly all over the world at my "un-fun" airline.

OK, who's been to the Truck??? :up:

What one person considers "fun" another may not. For me, I would absolutely freak if I had to fly domestic. So that would NOT be "fun". Actually, the day I have to fly domestic, I'll quit. So you go right ahead Fish, enjoy your "fun" airline. I'll stay over here and fly all over the world at my "un-fun" airline.

OK, who's been to the Truck??? :up:

Haven't been to the Truck (UAL wont let the 767 go that far west (or east depending on perspective)) but have you been to Zum Shiffen or the Magic bar?

:up:

DC

Nope. Where are they? (Always up for a new FUN layover)

Both are in DUS (Dusselldorf) Sadly somplace we no longer go. Unless you get yourself on a codeshare with Lufthansa/PrivatAir (the daily red and white A320 from Chicago)

DC

Both are in DUS (Dusselldorf) Sadly somplace we no longer go. Unless you get yourself on a codeshare with Lufthansa/PrivatAir (the daily red and white A320 from Chicago)

DC

Now, THAT is a hardcore airline employee. Deadheading on your days off to a city to experience the layover!! :D :p :shock:

Going into DEN, PIT, and PHL has proven that the Southwest model has to change to stay competitive. They are now seeing a lot of maturity with employee costs and they need to expand rapidly to head off a significant increase in their CASM. The only problem with their past model is that they could circumvent large markets and just focus on less costly cities. I believe that they are going into larger markets that are also more expensive because there is significant traffic to support their ops already developed and they need to increase revenues dramatically. Going into new markets will enable them to lower the average wages they to workforce as a whole and help reduce CASM so they can thrive long term. They also have 36(?) planes coming next year without a lot of airports to park them at. As far as going into DEN, there is already a lot of low cost competition in a lot of markets so the easy routes do not exist. I also feel that this will be a big test for the loyalty that Southwest typically enjoys in markets, because in some ways their product is inferior. This might be the time that Southwest looks at their product and updates it enough to remain competitive in the marketplace. I also feel that this will be an initial test to see how they might stand up against jetBlue before the 100 seaters come online. Frontier is probably the closest thing to jetBlue in the marketplace right. They can tweek the product and get ready for the battles on the east coast that are probably a year away from taking place.

TRVLR64,

Not trying to start an argument here, but we ARE NOT just a regional carrier. Frontier was given flagship status...

Do you mean flag carrier status? Never heard of flagship status.

Here's what happened to Frontier Airlines the last time they competed against SWA in Denver.

Except for the fact that LUV has never served DEN. Nice try.

Frontier Airlines never "went out of business."

I was in contracted recurrent in the Frontier CV-580 sim the day they locked the gates. Looked like they were "out of business" to me.

WRONG!

The government is not going to be paying the pensions.

The PBGC is and they are funded thru premiums paid by members (all companies that have a defiend benefit pension).

WOW! Someone actually took the time to go to the PBGC website and find out how the financing works. I'm impressed.

Usually, these chatboards are so filled with mis/disinformation, I've given up on correcting them.

Well done, sir!

BusDrvr says,“No offense, but I've seen too many FRNT jets go zipping by the deicing pit for some early morning departures after a frosty night.â€￾

Isn’t deicing a pilot’s call? I don’t think that any of our crews would drive by the deice pad if they weren’t within the limits of the aircraft.

No. Its a violation of the FARs to operate the airplane with ice and/or snow adhereing to the wings.

It's not that Frontier is a bad airline. They just don't have the brand name or route stucture that Southwest has. You have to remember most people who don't live in Denver have never heard of Frontier.

Hmmm.

Let's see.

Replace the word Frontier with Southwest.

Then, replace the word SOuthwest with United.

Finally, replace the word Denver with Dallas.

And your self-absorbed "prophecy" could have been printed about YOUR airline just 5 years ago.

Salmon37, says" No. Its a violation of the FARs to operate the airplane with ice and/or snow adhereing to the wings." Exactly, if Bus thought that ANY F9 crew were breaking the FAR's I am sure he'd have been the first one to rat on them. But then again the reason that BUS hasn't been on a plane in the past year and a half is that his lay off flight bennies ran out obviously.

I don't think that he has any evidence to prove that F9 is an un-safe operation. It's just his opinion and you know that EVERYONE has ONE OF THOSE, some are just smellier than others :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts