Southwest launches Havana service today from FLL and TPA

Any info you can share on how well the Cuba flights are doing? Our (AA) flights are definitely "mixed results." MIA-HAV is doing pretty well. All flights from other U.S. and flights to other Cuba destinations, not so much.

I haven't heard anything about any of the Cuban flights so far. That could be the hint, that Cuban flights are not doing well. However, with that said, I do know Kelly is strongly hoping that Trump will not scrap the Cuban agreements so we can continue to fly there, so maybe they are doing ok. I just haven't had load factors or numbers just for the Cuban flights as of yet. But, when I do hear I will pass it on. Maybe Sharon out here might know or have something. Or Paris? Maybe?

Well, in this article it claims all the numbers are increasing. Could it be due to the pull-outs of Silver, Spirit, Frontier, and some pull backs from AA and JB? The numbers may have picked up enough on the SWA flights after other airlines bailed, to continue sustaining the flights at least for now as our CEO said he is not ready to pull the plug as of yet. It also says JB is also adding flights now as well. But some of these articles do show the numbers were falling from the initial start up of the flights. It also may get better when or if they would lift the restrictions for visiting as tourist.

Southwest CEO casts a wary eye on new Cuba flights

Effective Saturday, August 5, Southwest will reduce the number of nonstop flights between Ft. Lauderdale and Varadero, Cuba (VRA) from two daily flights to one daily flight.

The decision was made to scale back our daily service between Ft. Lauderdale and Varadero after careful consideration of the performance of our service.
Southwest has no plans to alter our service to Havana and has a pending application before the Department of Transportation (DOT) for an additional flight between South Florida and the Cuban capital.

Looks like Havana is doing well...

Last edited:
AA's MIA-HAV service also seems to be doing well, but why? Tourism is not (and wasn't) allowed. Business dealings are extremely limited (and IIRC, Trump said he was going to reduce it even more). How can there be that much "going to see family" travel?

AA's MIA-HAV service also seems to be doing well, but why? Tourism is not (and wasn't) allowed. Business dealings are extremely limited (and IIRC, Trump said he was going to reduce it even more). How can there be that much "going to see family" travel?

I don't remember the exact percentages, but in AA's application for Cuban frequencies, AA revealed that prior to the scheduled services, something like 90% of the charter flights (and charter passengers) flew MIA-HAV. Most of those were Cuban Americans visiting their families in Cuba. AA argued that it should receive something like 10 daily MIA-HAV flights because that matched the number of daily charter flights under the old rules. Seems there might be that much going to see family travel.

Although typical beach tourism isn't allowed right now, it's common knowledge that some of the Americans visiting Cuba do not fit in any of the permitted categories of travel. They better hope they are not audited by the State Dept.

Effective Saturday, August 5, Southwest will reduce the number of nonstop flights between Ft. Lauderdale and Varadero, Cuba (VRA) from two daily flights to one daily flight.

The decision was made to scale back our daily service between Ft. Lauderdale and Varadero after careful consideration of the performance of our service.
Southwest has no plans to alter our service to Havana and has a pending application before the Department of Transportation (DOT) for an additional flight between South Florida and the Cuban capital.

Looks like Havana is doing well...

UPDATE…

Today, June 28, 2017 Southwest announced its plans to cease operations in Varadero (VRA) and Santa Clara (SNU), Cuba at the end of business on Monday, September 4, 2017.

The decision to discontinue these flights is not tied directly to the recent policy announcement, but follows many months of reviewing our performance in the VRA and SNU markets. We do not see a pathway to sustainability in these markets due primarily to the current prohibition on tourism to Cuba by U.S. citizens.

Last edited:
Any info you can share on how well the Cuba flights are doing? Our (AA) flights are definitely "mixed results." MIA-HAV is doing pretty well. All flights from other U.S. and flights to other Cuba destinations, not so much.

Here's the latest jim. If you listen carefully he does mention the pull downs and pull outs right before saying that Havana is doing really well. I believe next month will make one year after starting Cuba flights for us.

Southwest Airlines: Havana route is performing 'really, really well'

Reactions: B737 driver
Thanks. We also have pulled down service to Cuba destinations other than Havana. Not eliminated, but some daily flights have become 1-3 x weekly for instance. All in all, service to Cuba is doing much better than I would have thought. When you consider the number of airlines and flights thrown at the market to start, I would have never guessed that so many would still be operating.

Thanks. We also have pulled down service to Cuba destinations other than Havana. Not eliminated, but some daily flights have become 1-3 x weekly for instance. All in all, service to Cuba is doing much better than I would have thought. When you consider the number of airlines and flights thrown at the market to start, I would have never guessed that so many would still be operating.
It will interesting now what's happening in our embassy in Havana, and now the state department telling people not to travel there, mystery sonic attacks, sounds like James Bond stuff !

Latest posts