Southwest launches Havana service today from FLL and TPA

Old news. Note the date on the link--June 17, 2017. (Interesting...in the URL, the date is June 16th. When the page displays, the date shown is the 17th. Must have created the link late at night. LOL) I imagine this Trump change has already filtered down. May be a reason for latest cutbacks in service, but don't think it will prevent someone else from going in. There is always someone who takes the Richard Branson/Carl Icahn approach--"I know others have failed on this route, but I know how to make it profitable." :rolleyes:

Well, I have not seen it until now. Sorry if it was old news, but, the date I was on the article is: Nov 18, 2017 at 10:40AM.
Hey jim, does AA serve any routes to Havana from Cal.?

Well, I have not seen it until now. Sorry if it was old news, but, the date I was on the article is: Nov 18, 2017 at 10:40AM.
Hey jim, does AA serve any routes to Havana from Cal.?

Prior to the start of scheduled service, AA flew a charter flight once a week from LAX to HAV which was usually about half full. Didn't matter to AA since it was a charter and AA got paid anyway. When the airlines filed applications for scheduled service, it made no sense for AS to apply for LAX-HAV as the traffic just wasn't there. AA hasn't even been able to maintain LAX-SJU nonstop. Now that it looks like beach tourism by Americans isn't in the cards, you'll see a lot more reductions to Cuba. Prior to scheduled service, nearly all charter traffic to Cuba flew MIA-HAV.

If there was a market to all the small Cuban towns some airlines grabbed in the Cuba land grab, then there would have been charter flights to those small towns prior to scheduled services.

Unless the charters had the same financial guarantees as before, I would doubt AA would restart them. Flying empty (or even half-empty airplanes) around just for the glory of having the route is not AA's strong suit.

I seriously doubt if anyone could give those same financial guarantees again. Those routes may just remain vacant.

Although SWA is applying for Tampa to Havana and not FLL, it's still about more expansion to Cuba. With Delta pulling out as American has in past and cut down flights, they may not win due to exactly that, the cutbacks. They are saying they will look at the carriers that have shown the most loyal to Cuba as far as passengers and cargo. SWA is the only one of the three that has not removed any flights. This was smart for future flight request as we see now. Even JB has made cuts to flights to Cuba, and they will look at the history of the loyalty from the airlines. If they really do use this data as a requirement, then hands down SWA should easily get these new routes they are applying for...

American, JetBlue and Southwest bid for Delta's former Cuba route

Although SWA is applying for Tampa to Havana and not FLL, it's still about more expansion to Cuba. With Delta pulling out as American has in past and cut down flights, they may not win due to exactly that, the cutbacks. They are saying they will look at the carriers that have shown the most loyal to Cuba as far as passengers and cargo. SWA is the only one of the three that has not removed any flights. This was smart for future flight request as we see now. Even JB has made cuts to flights to Cuba, and they will look at the history of the loyalty from the airlines. If they really do use this data as a requirement, then hands down SWA should easily get these new routes they are applying for...

American, JetBlue and Southwest bid for Delta's former Cuba route
True we have always been successful building a market where others fail!

I would like to know if WN is actually making money on Cuba routes, or just breaking even, or (for the time being) swallowing minor losses. As long as tourism travel is "banned", I fail to see how visits to the family left behind could sustain any route by any airline for the long term.

Even if tourism becomes allowable, remember that infrastructure in Cuba is 50+ years old. Americans are not noted for putting up with lack of amenities. "No I won't be going back. The beaches are beautiful, but the toilet in our room would not flush, and the hotel refused to do anything about it. We were told the plumber only came once a month.":rolleyes:

Jim, I have no clue if we are making money or breaking even. Maybe we will hear at end of year results.
I too was kinda wondering the same thing. Sometimes SWA will break even or maybe even a loss in order to hold a slot for future expansions that will become profitable.

Here are some new flights being added for the late season of autumn. FLL adding the most, with several other international flights also being added.
A good start to a slower time of the year.

Another win for Southwest in the Cuba flights fight.
Jim, I still have no idea what our LF are or if we are making money, breaking even or losing money on the flights at this time, however, with how we are adding flights and fought for this ruling below to get more I would assume we are at the least breaking even, but I would also lean towards making money at this point. Jim, I think we will hear more of a breakdown on the cuba flights in the year end reports...

Government sides with Southwest, rejects American's Cuba idea

Latest posts