Southwest Shopping A220 and 737 Max 7

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Discussions on SWA shopping A220's and Max 7's are hitting the waves for a second time since 2019. I am thinking the Max 8 debacle is one of the main reasons SWA is looking at AB. It does make a little sense to mix it up a little, but still not quite sure if SWA would want the different fleet as the cost would climb. Looking to take delivery some time in 2025. We shall see...

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa...W46VVM&usg=AFQjCNGk-CMLkk1SApVU_bAv4_fwoYKgXA

This may get a bit more interesting as we get further into 2021. With fuel burn savings as well as landing fees reduced with the A220, will those outweigh the cost of Pilot, F/A and mechanics training and maint.? I kinda doubt it, but, maybe AB would be willing to massively discount the A220 for a grab onto Southwest as a new future customer. If they are willing to discount them enough to offset the other cost Southwest may very well pull the trigger on going with mixing up the fleet a little...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/22a...68f7c5e7e4/southwest-airlines-weighs-737.html

I don't see it. WN's network shouldn't need a 100 seater.

With COVID and everything else that happened in 2020, people will have long forgotten about the Max when it returns to service in the next couple months....

Swamt. I would be surprised if WN broke from boeing. But then there was an article last week whereas if they were to to break away from Boeing now would be the time. The A220 is nifty looking plane but I cant picture swa in it but stranger things have occurred

Both of you could very well be right. However, our CEO has indicated to us in maint. as well as the Pilots group that they are looking strongly at another manufacturer so not to have what happened with the Max control SWA's expansion plans like it did affect so much. Another thing is SWA does need a smaller seat count doing all the shorter hops they have always done. And Kev., you are right, now would be the time, which is also what our CEO told us. We shall see. I will go out on a limb here and say, although Boeing has already made a superb deal to SWA for the remaining and canceled orders of the Max's, they probably will make a very sweet deal to keep SWA with Boeing on future aircraft purchases to make up for the Max's burden. They will sweeten the deal enough to keep SWA with them IMO.

Indeed E.
I recall when our CEO gave us an update a while back after coming to terms with Boeing over the Max fiasco. He said that basically we will get the Maxes (all the ones on order) at an almost 2-1 price tag. Meaning we would get 2 for the price of one. I do not think this is the same deal with these 30 leftovers, however, the 2-1 deal did include any Maxes that were denied to be taken by other airlines. SWA did say they will take any and all Maxes that the other airlines pull out of their orders, so it will be interesting how many "extra" Maxes we end up with over and beyond the original, I think 230 first ordered.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/732ee8f...m_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&yptr=yahoo

One of my favorite Herb stories s when WN was shopping for a replacement for the -300's and -500's. AB was selling their A320 and invited a team to Paris to show of their plane. They wanted to impress and wine and dine the WN team and asked what particulars Herb liked. They said that Herb loved trinkets with his name etc. So AB had a special gold Cigarette Lighter engraved with Herb's name and it also had Airbus 320 engraved on it as well. A few weeks later, Boeing knew that the LUV was coming and showed the team the -700 and talked about spec;s and prices in a particular long and boring meeting. After the presentation, the WN team got up and were shaking hands and walking out the door and were halfway down the hall when Herb said that he "left" his cigarette lighter on the table and could someone go get it. This particular high ranking Boeing Sales rep came back with the lighter an looked shaken. Herb smiled and left. Got a pretty good deal from Boeing.

Reactions: swamt
Don't be fooled folks, SWA is adding extra aircraft to the fleet over and above the Original Max counts. Now you see SWA back peddling on the added a/c issue because they are asking for concessions and the unions are all balking since they are expanding cities and adding more Max's to the fleet.
In the end of it all, still in hopes for an airline aid package coming down before end of year to save the furloughs and layoffs in 2021...

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/7b2df89...m_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&yptr=yahoo

This may get a bit more interesting as we get further into 2021. With fuel burn savings as well as landing fees reduced with the A220, will those outweigh the cost of Pilot, F/A and mechanics training and maint.? I kinda doubt it, but, maybe AB would be willing to massively discount the A220 for a grab onto Southwest as a new future customer. If they are willing to discount them enough to offset the other cost Southwest may very well pull the trigger on going with mixing up the fleet a little...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/22a...68f7c5e7e4/southwest-airlines-weighs-737.html
Buying more 737 Max's could very well be the end of Swa as we know it. Not because of something we do or don't do but if one airline somewhere else in the world has another incident and we own a couple of hundred of them we are done.....period.
I am a Boeing fan and don't really want another brand but we are fooling ourselves if we think everything will just be alright.

Buying more 737 Max's could very well be the end of Swa as we know it. Not because of something we do or don't do but if one airline somewhere else in the world has another incident and we own a couple of hundred of them we are done.....period.
I am a Boeing fan and don't really want another brand but we are fooling ourselves if we think everything will just be alright.
I don't disagree. Your correct one more accident/incident and your quite right. I would be willing to try another model at this point and time, as we all just saw how devastating a grounding can be when you have only one model 737. I am not a fan of AB either, but pretty sure SWA will pick the correct brand to go with. I would rather they look at Nother Boeing (larger) a/c than going with AB, getting parts in a timely manner is still a huge deal in the industry.

Looks like American will be the first to launch the Max's back into the air in Dec., United to follow in 2021 1st Q, and SWA to follow up with 2nd Q launch of their Max's. Interesting SWA is waiting longer with the largest fleet of them. Maybe waiting to see how they are filled or not filled? We will see how it goes for the re-launch in dec and early 2021 for AA and UAL. We shall see...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-says-first-boeing-155121203.html

Swamt. Is WN still looking at the 220? Wonder if they would get sweet deal similar to the MAX and from whatvIve heard the 220 is pretty much well loved by crews n pax alike. Dont know from ramp perspective but I do think the 220 looks cool. I still think the MAX prime issue is the design itself in the aspect of it but the massive engine on wings whereas airbus is better due to its higher up wings vs the Max 737s lower wing