Southwest spurns Columbia, might land in Upstate

MERV

Advanced
Oct 29, 2009
JFK Aiport NYC
Visit site
Southwest Airlines said no to Columbia - and its $15 million - this month.
Columbia Metropolitan Airport offered the discount airline a package of breaks on landing and terminal fees, federal and state grants, and private-sector help to lure it to the Midlands, airport executive director Dan Mann said.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/04/20/1251409/southwest-spurns-columbia-might.htmlRead more: http://www.thestate.com/2010/04/20/1251409/southwest-spurns-columbia-might.html#ixzz0ln6PCuc1

GSP has about the same population, if not slightly bigger than CAE. It's located 1.5 hours drive from CLT. I would like to see CHS added to the south, but if GSP is chosen, SAV will be picked for CHS/HHH/SAV population.

NYC and CHI are both big CHS destinations for business travelers. Right next to the CHS airport will be the 2nd plant producing Boeing 787's. I would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 flights from CHS to MDW and at least one of those flights continuing on to SEA. Makes it very enticing for Boeing employee's traveling and since WN is a large customer, it's a win/win.
My thoughts also.
We'll know tomorrow! :D

10:00 EDT on Wednesday, October 20 2010

We’ll begin operations at our 70th and 71st airports, Greenville/Spartanburg (GSP) and Charleston (CHS), on March 13, 2011, with seven weekday departures from each airport.

At GSP, we’ll be flying one nonstop roundtrip to Nashville, two to Baltimore/Washington, one to Houston/Hobby, one to Orlando, and two to Chicago Midway. At CHS, we’re starting with one roundtrip to Nashville, three to Baltimore/Washington, two to Chicago/Midway, and one to Houston. Including direct and connecting service, we’re going to be offering service between CHS and 65 Southwest cities, and between GSP and 68 SWA airports!

NYC and CHI are both big CHS destinations for business travelers. Right next to the CHS airport will be the 2nd plant producing Boeing 787's. I would not be surprised to see 3 or 4 flights from CHS to MDW and at least one of those flights continuing on to SEA. Makes it very enticing for Boeing employee's traveling and since WN is a large customer, it's a win/win.
For a start...

Two non stops from CHS to MDW, connecting on to SEA.
Two non stops from MDW to CHS, one connecting from SEA.

So there you have it! :D