Southwest suspends 737 MAX flights until August!

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines/Airtran Airways' started by jimntx, Apr 11, 2019.

1. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

2. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

And Boeing will be footing the bill. Once it gets back in service, when we still have the Leap Engine reliability G.E. needs to address.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. swamt

swamt Veteran

It's gonna get worse guys, IMO, the groundings as I have already said will get longer and more wide spread. Could very well be thru the rest of this year IMO. We will see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

The 787 was 3 months for the batteries , and there were no crashes or fatalities, so probably get them back in August, but they might be limited to the domestic market, just because the FAA recertified it, doesn't mean the rest of the world will at the same time. The government is involved nothing moves quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. swamt

swamt Veteran

And here Mr Weaks is confirming my predictions as well, even somewhat the same time period for the rest of this year at least. This is not good news for us as a whole. I really do hope we get these back in the air by 2020. 19 will be a disappointment year.

Southwest Airlines pilots union leader sees more MAX obstacles

6. swamt

swamt Veteran

Well, maybe I will eat crow, and I hope I do. Looks like SWA is expected to return the Max's to service sooner than I thought. Looks like SWA has now scheduled the Max's for flights on Aug 5 as well as Aug 6th now in hopes of them being returned to service before then, we will see. I hope they are able to do so.

And now Boeing finally admits to software issues publically.

Boeing acknowledges flaw in 737 MAX simulator software

7. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

The PR issue with the Max begins now. Southwest must prepare its customers for flying the Max. They (and all other airlines flying the MAX) can not suddenly start flying the MAX again without preparing the public for it. Right now I think even I would think twice about boarding one. There have been too many instances of belated revelations and headlines about the airplane--such as "Boeing knew of the problem a year before the Lion Air crash, but did not inform the FAA until after the Lion Air crash." Admitting the existence of flaws in the simulator software does not tell me the plane is safe to fly. Just as admitting flaws in the airplane's software does not say that the simulator is properly programmed to provide the needed pilot training.

Note to swamt: I trust Southwest to tell the truth about the safety of the airplane and act accordingly. I don't think Southwest would put the airplane back in service unless it knows (to the extent possible) that the plane is safe to fly. I trust the FAA no further than I can throw a MAX 8.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

Now I see through September 3rd. If this keeps going, will we convert orders to 737-800s, as a stop gap, and shop for another airplane?