Southwest suspends 737 MAX flights until August!

Airbus? Seriously doubt it.

I'm only speaking as a customer. Boeing seems to be "slipping" in the quality and/or safety department. The 787 - grounded. The Max...a new airplane with a known defect...grounded. Then software fixes that break a previous software fix. I don't trust them anymore. I saw an Al Jazeera documentary on the 787 a few years ago. They had guys that build them saying that they wouldn't fly on one. A comment that was rather telling...one of the workers said "We don't build these to fly, we build them to sell". The Max proves he was right.

The 787 was 3 months for the batteries , and there were no crashes or fatalities, so probably get them back in August, but they might be limited to the domestic market, just because the FAA recertified it, doesn't mean the rest of the world will at the same time. The government is involved nothing moves quickly.

It is my understanding that there is a 787 tie-in related to the 737 Max issue and it is not battery related.

I'm only speaking as a customer. Boeing seems to be "slipping" in the quality and/or safety department. The 787 - grounded. The Max...a new airplane with a known defect...grounded. Then software fixes that break a previous software fix. I don't trust them anymore. I saw an Al Jazeera documentary on the 787 a few years ago. They had guys that build them saying that they wouldn't fly on one. A comment that was rather telling...one of the workers said "We don't build these to fly, we build them to sell". The Max proves he was right.
I would wait for more info. I have heard of others also jumping ship on Boeing, but at least allow a full blown investigation to be completed.

Reactions: B737 driver
The
It is my understanding that there is a 787 tie-in related to the 737 Max issue and it is not battery related.
The 787 has to do production at the Charleston plant, metal shavings left in areas, just generally sloppy work. Not enough inspectors, ect. Boeing admitted on the news today that a 787 delivered to Canadair, they falsified the paperwork on sealing the fuel tanks. 10 months after delivery it got a fuel leak, and had to declare an emergency on an ETOPS flight and devert, this was back in 2014. Canadair inspected their other 787s, didn't find any other fuel tank problems.

Now the FAA and the Pilots union leaders are now also saying the Max will not be back until 2020. I have always wished I would be wrong, but, I said 2020 because of the changes required would not get done in time for Aug.
I still say there should be an added 2nd AOA back up system as well, and I still think they should. Now here's the final question. When in 2020? 1st Q?? 2nd Q???

Boeing 737 Max may not fly until 2020, report says

More woes for Boeing as 737 Max groundings will likely extend into 2020: WSJ

Here's an update from AMFA on the Max issues and maintaining them:

Boeing 737 MAX Update
July 16, 2019 -- The Boeing 737 MAX was grounded by the FAA on March 13, 2019, and based on current information, will continue to be out of service until at least October. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) has been monitoring the situation very carefully, and a very important question remains regarding to what degree we will be involved in the process of introducing the aircraft back into the Southwest Airlines fleet and into the Alaska Airlines fleet.
Read More

Now the FAA and the Pilots union leaders are now also saying the Max will not be back until 2020. I have always wished I would be wrong, but, I said 2020 because of the changes required would not get done in time for Aug.
I still say there should be an added 2nd AOA back up system as well, and I still think they should. Now here's the final question. When in 2020? 1st Q?? 2nd Q???

Boeing 737 Max may not fly until 2020, report says

More woes for Boeing as 737 Max groundings will likely extend into 2020: WSJ

Boeing should buy back the damned planes and start over. Build a plane that can accommodate the bigger engine UNDER the wing and not some half over/half below setup like the Max, and then rely on computers to manage the aerodynamic changes. And if you ARE going to rely on computers, then I want rule number 1 to be "if the system is pushing the nose down and the pilot is pulling back with enough force - concede to the pilots decision and let him or her fly the plane".

I spent 30 years in IT. I've my share of computer glitches. But when I board an aircraft, I am putting my life into the pilots hands. I would prefer that it STAY in their hands and not have a computer system decide that the pilot is wrong. From everything I've ever read, the 737 is a great plane. But IMHO, the Max is NOT a 737.

When I spoke before about SWA changing models I was referring to them switching over to the Max 10. More seats, not grounded, and RASM's would increase without adding extra Max 8's. I forget the max seats available on the Max 10 (I think in the 200's +) and we all know SWA would load every seat they possibly can. I can only pray we never buy Airbus.
I'm afraid if you decided to go with MAX326, you still wouldn't get any customers to fly it. MAX any number is poison in the press right now.

I'm afraid if you decided to go with MAX326, you still wouldn't get any customers to fly it. MAX any number is poison in the press right now.
Yea. I know and figured as much. The "Max" line is doomed for life in my opinion. A rebranding is in order, if not a complete destroyed Max line all together for the public to feel safer. Not even sure if the public can or will get over the Boeing co. hiding all the facts too.

SWA pushed Max's off through Nov 2 following AA's move as predicted. Also has postponed any further Pilot hiring as well as further Pilot training and Captain advancements training too. What a domino affect this is inducing for the airlines. And let's not forget missing a big Oct. expansion on added flights and cities by SWA that they always do in Oct.
I still say Max no fly until 2020.

Southwest removes Boeing 737 MAX from schedule until November 2, freezes pilot hiring

Oh wow! Even as far as closures and layoffs coming to RyanAir over the Max's. Sure hope that does not come to that with our SWA Pilots and Flight Crews. Hopefully they are still getting some flights in by sharing with other Flight Crews willing to help out. That's just the culture at SWA. If needed, pld feel free to reach out to us mechanics in the hangars. Maybe we could throw down some BBQ's to raise some extra cash for our fellow employees. I really don't even know if any of them need some help or not, but I assume they are not getting full pay since they are canceling 180 flights from the Max's.

Boeing's 737 Max crisis hits pilots at Southwest, European airlines