Southwest suspends 737 MAX flights until August!

With all our Max birds grounded now thru 2020, and still not receiving new Max's as they roll off the assembly line. Our hit in 2019 will double by end of 2019. 1st half was hit by 34 Max's being grounded. In 2Q and for end of year 2019 we will take a bigger hit for the loss of 75 Max's that should be generating revenue. Not only the 34 grounded but the 41 we were suppose to get by end of 2019. This will more than double loss revenue. Although, we are not purchasing any Max's either but, still a big hit we are taking by not expanding internationally, Hawaii, as well as our usual new cities and flights always announced for Oct.
Can Boeing not **** out a bunch of 800's for us to use in the meantime? Now we are killing Newark in order to expand Hawaii and Mexico. That is just sad. How will Boeing make up for that?? Maybe it's time to look at another aircraft GK. Could we not benefit from the Max 10? More seats, still in the Boeing and 37 family. New hangers in Hou and Denver will hold 777's as we were told.
You can easily tell GK is not happy with Boeing right now. Yes it will pass, but look how disruptive it will be before it passes?? Especially for our employees affected by all this in Newark. Hope for the best for them. I know, welcome to the airline business.

LUV
American City Business Journals • Fri 01:34 PM
Southwest Airlines CEO's memo on MAX and more: 'This too shall pass'

With all our Max birds grounded now thru 2020, and still not receiving new Max's as they roll off the assembly line. Our hit in 2019 will double by end of 2019. 1st half was hit by 34 Max's being grounded. In 2Q and for end of year 2019 we will take a bigger hit for the loss of 75 Max's that should be generating revenue. Not only the 34 grounded but the 41 we were suppose to get by end of 2019. This will more than double loss revenue. Although, we are not purchasing any Max's either but, still a big hit we are taking by not expanding internationally, Hawaii, as well as our usual new cities and flights always announced for Oct.
Can Boeing not **** out a bunch of 800's for us to use in the meantime? Now we are killing Newark in order to expand Hawaii and Mexico. That is just sad. How will Boeing make up for that?? Maybe it's time to look at another aircraft GK. Could we not benefit from the Max 10? More seats, still in the Boeing and 37 family. New hangers in Hou and Denver will hold 777's as we were told.
You can easily tell GK is not happy with Boeing right now. Yes it will pass, but look how disruptive it will be before it passes?? Especially for our employees affected by all this in Newark. Hope for the best for them. I know, welcome to the airline business.

LUV
American City Business Journals • Fri 01:34 PM
Southwest Airlines CEO's memo on MAX and more: 'This too shall pass'
The problem Swampy is no parts are being manufactured for the 800NG, everything was geared to the Max, the only 800 based aircraft is the P8 Orion for the Navy, still being built. The only problem with the Max, with a stab in full down, they can not trim manually with the aerodynamic load, on the tail. So they going to have to come up with and alternate trim motor. There are still the Leap Engine issues. It's more than just software. Plus we have the Trade wars, with the world. The rest of the world is against this Airplane. We will have some decisions to make!

Very Bad news especially for WN (and other MAX operators).
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/27/business/boeing-737-max-faa.html

Boeing will undoubtedly cut it's losses the easiest way out. Therefore it's a good bet that the MAX will Never see the sky again!
Maybe Southwest can buy Denver based Frontier. FT has a bunch of AIRBII.
Not too sure about Frontier or Spirit due to their heavy AirBus fleets. I really think ALK would be the better purchase as far as the fleet goes. Not real sure about routes at this point.
With ALk's 166 boeing 37's
71 AB
35 Bomb
26 Emb
Easier to blend the 37's. Return to lease or sell off remaining aircraft. All airlines love to pick up used aircraft cheap.
It would also very quickly add Alaska to SWA's route map, which they want to anyways. Purchasing ALK would also expand, immediately, Hawaii. Would also better expand along the entire west coast especially in the NW corner. And BTW, isn't ALK at the new Paine Field terminal? Remember SWA wanted to go in there, but decided to focus on other priorities at that time. Which was to get Hawaii, international, Mexico etc. going.
Hey maybe throw in Sun Country Airlines with ALK. Only 30 a/c at SC but all 737's. With both ALK and SC that would be right at 200 737's instant growth in aircraft...

Fleet | Alaska Airlines

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr...Airlines/RK=2/RS=dqSbCJJHi_s9lWMrPX.b1_Im9qE-

Be careful what you wish for. Alaska enjoys enormous brand loyalty from its passengers. They may not take kindly to WN wiping out their favorite airline. And, if you don't rebrand after purchasing what was the point?

We
The problem Swampy is no parts are being manufactured for the 800NG, everything was geared to the Max, the only 800 based aircraft is the P8 Orion for the Navy, still being built. The only problem with the Max, with a stab in full down, they can not trim manually with the aerodynamic load, on the tail. So they going to have to come up with and alternate trim motor. There are still the Leap Engine issues. It's more than just software. Plus we have the Trade wars, with the world. The rest of the world is against this Airplane. We will have some decisions to make!
Well driver, looks like the final decision on the 700's are in. SWA and UAL just signed an agreement for our used 700's that we are sending back early. Currently set 19 700's going to UAL from GECAC. I'm a little surprised they are still doing this with not knowing the final outcome of the Max's. Maybe GK knows something we don't. Like a new model or a/c coming to the fleet. Or as you have stated, will there soon be an announcement of us purchasing another airline? Just seems odd timing to me not knowing the end results of the Max's. Hopefully GK knows best...

We

Well driver, looks like the final decision on the 700's are in. SWA and UAL just signed an agreement for our used 700's that we are sending back early. Currently set 19 700's going to UAL from GECAC. I'm a little surprised they are still doing this with not knowing the final outcome of the Max's. Maybe GK knows something we don't. Like a new model or a/c coming to the fleet. Or as you have stated, will there soon be an announcement of us purchasing another airline? Just seems odd timing to me not knowing the end results of the Max's. Hopefully GK knows best...

Well I smell really cheap Maxs, or Airline buyout coming , only time will tell!

Then maybe a combo of WestJet and Sun Country.
With WestJet we would get 120 37's, plus a few larger 767's and 787 DL's. Maybe "try" using the larger aircraft to see if we would want to keep them or sell them off or return to lease.
WestJet would also give us instant Canada, as SWA wants to expand into.
Then Sun Country's 30 aircraft would put us at 150 instant 37's.
So if ALK and Sun Country don't go thru, maybe a WestJet/Sun Country might be easier to get thru. Not to mention, like driver said, ALK would be expensive. WJ and SC would be way cheaper but still gain a large amount of badly needed aircraft.
I would even tease a little with a Hawaiian Air purchase, but mainly for the Hawaii flights and not so much the AirBus aircraft. Just thinking out loud for a very quick fix to all this stagnant expansion due to the groundings. Something is gonna have to give and soon.

Sun Country Airlines Fleet Details and History

Then maybe a combo of WestJet and Sun Country.
With WestJet we would get 120 37's, plus a few larger 767's and 787 DL's. Maybe "try" using the larger aircraft to see if we would want to keep them or sell them off or return to lease.
WestJet would also give us instant Canada, as SWA wants to expand into.
Then Sun Country's 30 aircraft would put us at 150 instant 37's.
So if ALK and Sun Country don't go thru, maybe a WestJet/Sun Country might be easier to get thru. Not to mention, like driver said, ALK would be expensive. WJ and SC would be way cheaper but still gain a large amount of badly needed aircraft.
I would even tease a little with a Hawaiian Air purchase, but mainly for the Hawaii flights and not so much the AirBus aircraft. Just thinking out loud for a very quick fix to all this stagnant expansion due to the groundings. Something is gonna have to give and soon.

Sun Country Airlines Fleet Details and History
Saw a Sun Country 737-800, no winglets doing a charter at work today! :)

Fantasize all you want, but the days of WN, AA, DL, or UA being able to entertain participating in a merger are long over.

Merging with a Canadian airline? Even less likely.

I was also surprised to see WN disposing of the -700's, but those plans were set in motion before the groundings and probably harder to stop once WN committed to return those to GECAS. I also don't see how there's any agreement here between LUV and UAL. It looks like GECAS is simply taking back an aircraft and selling it to someone else who just happens to be UA.