Southwest to end MEX service

However, I have to admire WN for admitting that they couldn't make the route work; so, they are not pouring anymore money, personnel, or aircraft down that money-losing hole.

I suspect those a/c will become very useful in the new inter-island service in Hawaii. They don't have to be ETOPS certified because they would never be far enough offshore for it to matter.

However, I have to admire WN for admitting that they couldn't make the route work; so, they are not pouring anymore money, personnel, or aircraft down that money-losing hole.

I suspect those a/c will become very useful in the new inter-island service in Hawaii. They don't have to be ETOPS certified because they would never be far enough offshore for it to matter.
First of all WN isn’t basings crews nor airplanes at HI.

Two the planes would have to be ETOPS qualified as they would have to get rotated to the US for scheduled maintenance.

Three CFM56 engines don’t like short flights with a quick turnaround as the engines don’t get a chance to cool down

And cancelling one flight only frees up one plane and WN just leased an additional 12 738Ms with delivery starting in July besides their Boeing orders.

Last edited:
We will see. There is a market there for inter-island flying. I can't imagine WN ignoring an opportunity to make money. I have a friend who lives in Honolulu and whose job involves travel to every one of the Hawaiian islands. As flying is the only way to get from island to island, people like my friend are hoping WN will offer inter-island flying. I have no idea whether this is because they don't like Hawaiian (the airline) or the fact that no competition means higher airfares.

There is a point to be reached in WN expansion plans that may require an airplane other than the 737. Instead of going for larger and larger versions of the 737 (see also MAX8-10), there might be opportunities for a smaller airplane. There is a test case coming soon with DFW-LGA flying on DL using that new 102 seat airplane (ostensibly an Airbus, but being built by Bombardier). Not judgin'. Just sayin'.

Some airline is going to move into that vacant space left by Island Air going bankrupt. Hawaiian now has 90% of the inter-island flying. According to Google, only Mokulele (never heard of it myself) competes with Hawaiian. Hey, maybe American Eagle could move some of their very nice 76-seaters to the islands!:):D

Reactions: swamt
We will see. There is a market there for inter-island flying. I can't imagine WN ignoring an opportunity to make money. I have a friend who lives in Honolulu and whose job involves travel to every one of the Hawaiian islands. As flying is the only way to get from island to island, people like my friend are hoping WN will offer inter-island flying. I have no idea whether this is because they don't like Hawaiian (the airline) or the fact that no competition means higher airfares.

There is a point to be reached in WN expansion plans that may require an airplane other than the 737. Instead of going for larger and larger versions of the 737 (see also MAX8-10), there might be opportunities for a smaller airplane. There is a test case coming soon with DFW-LGA flying on DL using that new 102 seat airplane (ostensibly an Airbus, but being built by Bombardier). Not judgin'. Just sayin'.

Some airline is going to move into that vacant space left by Island Air going bankrupt. Hawaiian now has 90% of the inter-island flying. According to Google, only Mokulele (never heard of it myself) competes with Hawaiian. Hey, maybe American Eagle could move some of their very nice 76-seaters to the islands!:):D
SWA will only operate 737s, unless we go to Europe, then they might consider the 787 or equivalent to the B757 replacement, Boeing is working on.

We are hearing some rumblings about SWA moving up the inner island hopping sooner rather than later with all the calls from the public flooding HQ. Jim, tell your friend to constantly be calling SWA and encouraging the island hopping, the more calls they get the quicker it will get moved up the activation ladder. SWA is always glad to take interest phone calls on flights they are considering.
I hope we are successful at challenging Hawaiian Airlines at the I. H. routes. Pretty sure we can do it very well.
Also you are correct about a different aircraft, I too strongly believe we will be entertaining another larger size a/c, if I were a betting man, I would put my money on the 737 Max 10, unless they end wanting to go even larger for back and forth from Hawaii.
I know your watching with great interest but we still have to complete 6-7 more test flights. When you really want something, it's seems to always take forever, doesn't it?
The sooner the better for you and your buddy in Hawaii as well as all of us. Like you have also said though, the non-reving will be pretty much null and void to Hawaii on us. Pretty sure the prices will be too low to pass up and the planes will be completely full.

...The sooner the better for you and your buddy in Hawaii as well as all of us. Like you have also said though, the non-reving will be pretty much null and void to Hawaii on us. Pretty sure the prices will be too low to pass up and the planes will be completely full.

Full planes are a good problem to have!

SWA will only operate 737s, unless we go to Europe, then they might consider the 787 or equivalent to the B757 replacement, Boeing is working on.
Not so fast there. I do agree with you about SWA's strong 737 love fest, however, GK as well as others have stated they will be looking at other models in the future other than the 737 family. And yes the 757 replacement was one of them mentioned as well as the 737 Max 10.
I also still would not put it past SWA to purchase another small airline to get more planes as well as larger ones quickly if need be.

Not so fast there. I do agree with you about SWA's strong 737 love fest, however, GK as well as others have stated they will be looking at other models in the future other than the 737 family. And yes the 757 replacement was one of them mentioned as well as the 737 Max 10.
I also still would not put it past SWA to purchase another small airline to get more planes as well as larger ones quickly if need be.
Well technically we still own some 717s that we lease to Delta, but knowing SWA they would want a new aircraft, the C series might be something to consider.

Well technically we still own some 717s that we lease to Delta, but knowing SWA they would want a new aircraft, the C series might be something to consider.
SWA doesn't want anything to do with those 717's. Too much maint required on engines. Too much down time for the way SWA flies the a/c.
Good points though.

SWA doesn't want anything to do with those 717's. Too much maint required on engines. Too much down time for the way SWA flies the a/c.
Good points though.
Delta fixed their BR715 , through their engine shop. However with them getting the C series the oldest 717s are now 20 years old , so if they really like the A220 ,-they might eventually dump the 717s.