Special Jetwire

Exactly. Not only did Arpey skimp on pistachios, he was the CEO when somebody added soy nuts to the mix (soybeans were cheaper than almonds, cashews, pistachios and pecans). Premium cabin passengers complained loudly, and finally, the soy nut experiment was over.

AA has become more transparent with the warm nut mix, as the price of almonds and cashews has fluctuated, and AA has told FAs and passengers that the mix was being adjusted due to steep increases in price of one or the other.

I like pistachios more than almonds, but shelled pistachios are a lot more expensive than almonds or cashews.

FWAAA said:
Exactly. Not only did Arpey skimp on pistachios, he was the CEO when somebody added soy nuts to the mix (soybeans were cheaper than almonds, cashews, pistachios and pecans). Premium cabin passengers complained loudly, and finally, the soy nut experiment was over.AA has become more transparent with the warm nut mix, as the price of almonds and cashews has fluctuated, and AA has told FAs and passengers that the mix was being adjusted due to steep increases in price of one or the other.I like pistachios more than almonds, but shelled pistachios are a lot more expensive than almonds or cashews.
Thankfully I must have missed the Soy Nut experiment. And also glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the disappearing Pistachios. If they haven't returned I'll have to remind myself to buy a small bag before I head to the airport to travel again.

I haven't flown in almost 4 years because the experience just became so horrible in all respects. Definitely prefer just driving to the beach now or the Keys.

When people speak of reverence towards Robert Crandall this is what runs through my mind.
I have to say I'm with WeAAsles on this one. Crandall was a bastard who built the airline off the givebacks of his employees. I call the employees who love him battered wives.

Wow. You agree with me on something? Anyway I'm still thinking about Pistachios right now.

Maybe this is the real reason we lifted sanctions with Iran?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-05/never-mind-oil-iran-s-about-to-shake-the-world-pistachio-market

Zom JFK said:
I have to say I'm with WeAAsles on this one. Crandall was a bastard who built the airline off the givebacks of his employees. I call the employees who love him battered wives.

Here's a story that never made the papers I guess. In October of 95 when Jr Fleet was agreed to and passed everyone systemwide (except in NYC thankfully) who had been hired and was not yet passed probation was laid off between the passage and implementation of the new contract. When they were brought back was when they were told "Welcome back, you're now a Junior Fleet Service Clerk"

Check out the seniority list for early 95. Not many members there.

Those people were thought of no different than that removed olive.

WeAAsles said:
ame="Zom JFK" post="1230392" timestamp="1462210918"]

Wow. You agree with me on something? Anyway I'm still thinking about Pistachios right now.

Maybe this is the real reason we lifted sanctions with Iran?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-05/never-mind-oil-iran-s-about-to-shake-the-world-pistachio-market
Yes Weez Iranian pistachios are superior to California's. I wouldn't touch a California pistachio.While we wait for Iranian try Turkish Antep.Antep only not the other Siirt. Antep can be found on the internet  at  a hefty $17.99 per pound so you might want to wait until (or if)we get a raise. Do you remember the Bronx  based Zenobia nut company from when you were a little ferret?

WeAAsles said:
Here's a story that never made the papers I guess. In October of 95 when Jr Fleet was agreed to and passed everyone systemwide (except in NYC thankfully) who had been hired and was not yet passed probation was laid off between the passage and implementation of the new contract. When they were brought back was when they were told "Welcome back, you're now a Junior Fleet Service Clerk"

Check out the seniority list for early 95. Not many members there.

Those people were thought of no different than that removed olive.
Whats A 'junior fleet clerk"?Its a amazing the olive thing from  aLUS perspective I see a lot of waste at AA so much so I wonder why it wasn't cut before you farmed out some stations. Just because you have been doing a certain thing for years and  years doesn't make it right you know,

Worldport said:
Whats A 'junior fleet clerk"?Its a amazing the olive thing from  aLUS perspective I see a lot of waste at AA so much so I wonder why it wasn't cut before you farmed out some stations. Just because you have been doing a certain thing for years and  years doesn't make it right you know,
Jr Fleet Service was an agreement accepted in late 1995 that lasted until our next contract in 2001. New members started out at the bottom and topped out in 9 years at only $10.00 and change. It was a disgusting thing excepted by both the then negotiators and then voted in by the membership. It's what I liked to call at the time a "No Hope" contract.

Tons of turnover.

WeAAsles said:
Jr Fleet Service was an agreement accepted in late 1995 that lasted until our next contract in 2001. New members started out at the bottom and topped out in 9 years at only $10.00 and change. It was a disgusting thing excepted by both the then negotiators and then voted in by the membership. It's what I liked to call at the time a "No Hope" contract.

Tons of turnover.
Wow We a LUS were put through the wringer,kicked to the ground you name it we never had something that bad. Looks like the TWU doesn't mind screwing the new guys although we did have class 2 stations

Worldport said:
Wow We a LUS were put through the wringer,kicked to the ground you name it we never had something that bad. Looks like the TWU doesn't mind screwing the new guys although we did have class 2 stations

Here's all I could find on it. Not much. I hired on in May of 1995 and thankfully didn't get scewed by it. As a matter of fact my friend warned me it was coming and I needed to get in at the time I did or he would never offer me the job again.

I got lucky too because so many people in LGA were putting in their retirement papers and scramming around that time that they couldn't lay me off or they would have been doomed. It was a hiring tear because of that contract.

And I didn't vote on it because I had no clue being a new hire what any of it meant and the suggestion from my friend was if I didn't understand it, just stay out of it. But lord knows those old timers were tugging on me to vote yes so they could get there blood money.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/08/15/business/american-airlines-in-tentative-union-pact.html  

The blood bath of 92 was worse than anything when you were non-union.

Worldport said:
Actually it would have been the guys that were negotiating the contract that sold out the new hires big time. By accepting the hard ball tactics of the wonderful Mr Crandall they also hurt the Union actually too. TWU dues is two times the hourly rate that the member is earning. They weren't getting too much money coming in off those guys.

700UW said:
The blood bath of 92 was worse than anything when you were non-union.
Was there a B scale implemented I don't remember? I do remember PDOs but I kept and still have a catastrophic bank. I think we were locked at like $17.82 with differential for years and people were constantly getting downgrade but we never had a $10 top out