Spirit Airlines' Next Fee? Talking to a Human

Why not? Many banks charge a fee when you use a teller to make a transaction instead of an ATM or online banking program.
Agree. The day has come where people need to STOP acting clueless and NEEDY just because THEY CAN. Next time You are at the airport in a Gate Area and watch the demeanor of people who sporting a Boarding Pass (In hand) get annoyed and PO'd because they have to wait in line to speak with an Agent only to ask an irrelevant question of "Am I checked in for this flight?"..........mind you, the ticket has THEIR Name on it, destination correct and a seat assignment given.Customer Service is NOT what it was and need to accept it for what it is. You shouldn't expect to pay Less and get More.............it doesn't work that way. Never has, never will. There is much that I don't care for in the travel experience/horror but people need to get their head out of the sand and realize what was offered years ago CANNOT be offered complimentary Today. Hotels, car rentals, entertainment venues, Banks and an endless list of companies operate on an Ala Carte model, yet the airlines seem to take the BRUNT of the complaints because people have unrealistic expectations. I don't go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac and expect to pay the price of the burger when it debuted in the 70's.

Reactions: 1 person
Kelly over at NK said that the next fee for service will be Must Ride Program. Its is a oversales protection insurance to prevent a customer from getting bumped, cost is 10% total fare value oneway, up $100 for the 1st 1500mi. the return flight will be the same 10% and/or $100 for the 1st 1500mi.

The way Kelly explained it was that if I purchased a ticket, say $249 form point A to point B oneway, if I payed $24.90 at the time of purchase that I would be protected from being bump vs a unprotected passenger.

If at the gate, I need to get to point B and it may look like it maybe oversold I can purchase the Must Ride protection for $50 oneway.

Kelly said its may start for the holiday travel time. 1 Nov,2010 until 10 Jan,2011. If I travel during the holidays and I got to be there, I pay the 10% up front both ways, and not even think about get bumped from oversales.

DW

Spirit is going no place but up. The business model is solid and clearly communicated. They do things their way and frankly if their way is not your way then options exist.

Anyone with half a clue knows that Spirit is a bit of an "Odd Duck" in this country in the way they price and market their product. They are a model of consistency in that regard. Back when some of their leadership worked at US, I was in their good graces and I spoke at length with them and much of the topic was Ryan Air and their business model and would it work here? My reply was essentially, as long as the rules are communicated clearly and concisely I think you should run your airline as you choose and YES I do think with the leisure oriented route structure it will work.

My beef with them and US in it's current form remains the same. Be who you say you are. US promotes itself out of both sides of its mouth. With a stock ticker LCC and some the highest CASM's in the industry, they are a walking contradiction. The amenities offered are minimalist at best and the CoC is a mind boggling document to behold. Their marketing message is mixed because there really isn't one. In short US can't be who they say they are because they don't know themselves.

OTOH, Spirit KNOWS exactly who they are, Who their customers are and have a solid message to their target audience. They are great at floating these trial balloons to gain publicity which is nothing more than free advertising. Truth is people squawk and then they look at a fare that on average is $100 LESS then most carriers and they pony up the dough and buy the ticket and bring their own drinks, check bags and make sure that the al la carte add ons aren't more than the next cheapest ticket. Which is actually easy to do.

It's a business model that works very well for a leisure destination dominant, 40 plane carrier. Will it work at 100 planes? I think we're about to find out.

Reactions: 1 person
No big deal. Check out the fees that low cost airlines in EU charge. I believe Wizz already charges a decent per minute rate to talk to a human when you call them (and if you're roaming on your mobile while, well it may not be so low cost afterall).