Spirit Becomes First Airline to Charge for Carry-On Baggage

The sad thing is that some people will do this just to avoid paying any bag fees.

I imagine if Spirit charged a fee for wearing clothes, some people would board the plane nude. :rolleyes:

GOOD LORD!!

DO NOT give Barry B any ideas :lol: Can't you see the promotion, $9.00 & Naked R/T ACY-LIM

NY Senator Chuck Schumer not happy with this move by Spirit.

Senator slams airline carry-on fee

Schumer is such a pig. What he's actually complaining about is that the federal excise tax is not being applied to a carry-on fee, and he says it should. Big deal, right? Nooo, he has to grandstand, looking for applause by "slamming" the airlines for running their business their way instead of someone else's way. :rolleyes:

Chucky Schumer is one of the poster children for what is wrong with the country.

Instead of worrying about how a private company choses to run their business within the current laws, he should instead learn some manners and show some respect to the common man/woman. Remember his verbal abuse of a US Airways Flight Attendant???

He's just another pus filled boil on the backside of humanity. IOW he's a Politician.

Kudos to NK, The LCC should be first with the new innovative ways of trying to make a profit. The legacy carriers seems to have difficulity time in making a small profit.

Let see, before deregulation, the legacy carriers had pretty much set fares, point to point. all baggage in the lower part of the plane, no overhead bins, just hat racks for coats and ladies and gentlemens hats, and if the luggage got lost or re-routed you may or may not have got them back.

Then the hat racks started to get business folders from business men and pakages from grandma and/or grandpa for birthdays or christmas gifts for the grand kids, the hostess had a fine time dealing with these additional items, general because of the FAA. The hostess were very innovative to keeps the customers and articles together.

The FAA did not like these harder and heavyer item in the hat racks because if they some how can airborne, they could injury someone, then the lawyers.

Some carriers made compartments to place these new articles in, One up front and two to four mid cabin near the overwing exits. The start of overhead bins.

With the start of the overhead bins came, briefcases, baby bags, CARRY-ON BAGGAGES, totes and other articles, and they just got harder, bigger,and heavyer. lately with-in the last 30 years they got wheels and fold-in handles.

Don't go there about the bulkly camers and now the electronic deivces.

When the Boeing 747 can along with overhead bins down both sides and down the middle on both sides, except in front of the movie projectors in each of the 5 sections on the main deck and the upper deck had small stowage bins along the sides between the wall and seats. thevy were all filled to the gills on a full flight.

Mann, on the international flights the overheads bins were bulging with articles, the bins just had netting over the top of the compartments, about half the area was netted and the other half had a soft panel over the rest of the area, the sides and bottom had harden panels with soft panel doors that latch.

The early Boeing 727, 737 and the Douglas DC-8s, early DC-9s had the hat racks removed and overhead bins installed, which had most harden panels and some soft panels and doors that latched, and they were filled to the gills on full flights.

Then the Douglas DC-10s, the overhead bins where small. the bins where along the sides a some down the middle in some area, On the early Lockheed L-1011s, The overhead bins where small and only along the sides. The DC-10s and L-1011 had motorized coat racks that were near a galley or entry or services door. No need for the HAT RACKS.

You had the US International carriers, national carriers, regional carriers all regulated by the CAB, Civil Aeronautical Board.

Then De-regualtion, 1977. Mr. Alfred E. Kahn 1977 to 1978, he was the chairman of the CAB, Civil Aeronautical Board. Mr. Kahn was the father of deregulation, this was during the President Jimmy Carter adminstration.

More competition, lower air fares, similar service. well two out of three was not bad,ok.

But when you have lower air fares the service will suffer for the legacy and national carriers. The Hub and spoke system, B-747-200 series, DC-10-30, DC-10-40, longer distances, more misplaced luggages.

Then the B-747-100 and 200 series got Big Bin Mods along both sides, removed the old small bins and install bins that were 4 time the size as the older bins, only at some carriers. and then B-747-300s, MD-11, and the L-1011-500 with even longer ranges.

Air fares got lower and lower and lower, some more LCC, and less service.

Well, then you have now. B-747-400s, B-777-200,300, B-767-200,300,400, Airbus A380, A340-300,500,600, A330-200,300, and the Boeing narrowbody fleet and Airbus narrowbody fleet.

I think Airbus got it right. Airplane are AIR BUSES, passengers and anything or item that will fit on the airplane that the DOT,TSA, or the airlines will let it ride for a fee.

NK was just thinking out of the box, and in to the overhead bins a lets make some money.

If we can try an make a profit with check luggage for a fee in the lower part of the airplane why not the overhead bin, weight is weight, and weight eats jet fuel.

Lets say NK pricing for the overhead bin for all the US airlines. Would the US airlines be willing to remove the check bag fees for the first two pieces of luggage that goes below in the baggage compartments.

If you want that item that bad with you, then there should be a cost for the engineering and manufacturing that the airlines paid for that spaces that was directed by the FAA. <_<

Kudos to NK, The LCC should be first with the new innovative ways of trying to make a profit. The legacy carriers seems to have difficulity time in making a small profit.

Let see, before deregulation, the legacy carriers had pretty much set fares, point to point. all baggage in the lower part of the plane, no overhead bins, just hat racks for coats and ladies and gentlemens hats, and if the luggage got lost or re-routed you may or may not have got them back.

With the start of the overhead bins came, briefcases, baby bags, CARRY-ON BAGGAGES, totes and other articles, and they just got harder, bigger,and heavyer. lately with-in the last 30 years they got wheels and fold-in handles.

Great post! Putting wheels on what is called "hand luggage" in many parts or the world was path down a slippery slope. I am surprised that the FAA ever signed off on placing heavy bags above peoples' heads in the first place, enclosed bin or not. In a hard landing or accident the bins can and do come open causing the bags to fall on those sitting below

Great post! Putting wheels on what is called "hand luggage" in many parts or the world was path down a slippery slope. I am surprised that the FAA ever signed off on placing heavy bags above peoples' heads in the first place, enclosed bin or not. In a hard landing or accident the bins can and do come open causing the bags to fall on those sitting below

One could argue that Customers brought on this whole charging for bags fiasco. I would not be that customer however.

All of this stems from the advent of Yield Management software being introduced into the pricing model long before I ever set foot upon a plane. While Yield Management might make perfect fincial sense as it can increase revenue per flight from three to six percent, it makes no sense to the average customer. To them it seems like there is a scam/game being played and to an extent they're correct. However this IMO was the beginning of the "Gotcha" mentality that now exists between customer and vendor.

So what we end up with is this never ending battle between Customer and Airline. Each trying to get over on the other. This is why the airline industry has such poor customer satisfaction numbers. Neither party trusts the other and that is never a good business relationship This creates no brand loyalty for the liesure flyer and the airlines either sell the seats at a loss or find another way to boost revenue.

It's a classic Catch 22

ANY Word in regards to whether SPIRIT will go ahead and impliment the carry-on fees as planned (I believe August)? Personally, I like the idea. Baggage needs to be placed in Cargo. Since the travelling public never seemed to follow or understand the policy of ONE Carry-On bag (and that goes for Mr. Entitled that feels HE IS someone 'Special' and is somehow 'exempt' from policies that the masses need to conform to), I feel the time has passed where the entire CABIN BAGGAGE Policy needs to addressed with an IRON FIST. And this goes for ALL AIRLINES. As if the Baggage Parade isn't bad enough...........Nothing Chafes My Arsce more than the Bimbos who feel "I need to lift their bags into the Bin" because they can't/won't/or don't think they should! "WHAT part of C-a-r-r-y-O-n is causing you fits today Clueless Wonder?" ..........Uhhm, I thought so! :rolleyes: :lol:

Reactions: 2 people