Spirit pilots strike. Merged topic

You have my full support along with the rest of the PHX based US Airways pilot group. Anything we can do to help out here in Phoenix, let us know. We (former America West) know full well the evil that is Bill Franke. Anyone trying to jump on a flight, make sure the gate agent lets the captain know your up there....we'll get you where you need to go.

Stand Firm and stay resolved. You will prevail.

Thanks Cactus Girl for your extremely astute observation. Between Franke and the rest of the NK team, a team that watched Jerry Glass successfully bludgeon the unions at US, ALPA has an uphill battle. ALPA also has an agenda that doesn't really IMO serve the pilots of NK well as in a way there is evidence that the NK pilots are mere cannon fodder for the bigger contracts upcoming.

Bottom line no one really wins in a situation like this.

Negotiations will continue tomorrow in FLL. The MEC had waited in DC, but Ben and Bill had to return to FLL because they had a Spinning class at the Y and didn't want to fail it for non-attendance.

That is ridiculous to say that pilots at other carriers should not fly "struck work". They don't work for Spirit! Spirit still loses money during the strike, having to pay another airline to carry their passengers.

What if a Spirit would-be passenger got a refund from NK and bought a ticket on AA? Would the captain eject him from the flight? :rolleyes:

I don't believe Spirit has agreements with other airlines so can't endorse the tickets over, but if they could I believe Spirit would get a portion of the revenue. Spirit so far seems to only be offering either vouchers or refunds for unused portions of tickets and leaving passengers to fend for themselves.

The most expensive for Spirit would be every passenger taking the refund (cash flows out) and other airlines carrying (selling tickets to) the passengers (no revenue to Spirit).

I think the intent of the Spirit pilots is that the passengers suffer the least possible given the strike. If another airline wanted to fly Spirits routes and passengers (not that any airline has the spare planes sitting around to do that) it would help the passengers get where they wanted in a more timely manner. (Ignoring anyone wet leasing planes to Spirit since that would give the ticket revenue to Spirit).

Your are right about one thing. If a pilot is adamant about not doing "struck work" despite the Spirit pilot's request, he/she shouldn't even accept Spirit passengers - carrying those passengers is the work being struck. However, tell one of those adamant pilots that and you'll get the "but that's different because blah, blah, blah". They want it both ways - the ability to pat themselves on the back for their "strong union principles" yet have their company reap the financial rewards of carrying the extra passengers.

Jim

The MEC has been asking management to come to the table for nearly 4 years without success. Finally, management was ordered to come to the table on Friday. Negotiations didn't begin until late and not for real until 7:30 PM. It's hard to hammer out a contract in a few hours. Now the company has been notified by the MEC that the MEC stands ready (and is still in DC) to negotiate.

Where is Ben? Is he in DC still? Or is he busy putting out spin that the pilots turned down $200,000/year?
Good luck to you guys. We are getting some guys together to go to AC for some picketing. Did Chris Grazel resign or is he still DO?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't believe Spirit has agreements with other airlines so can't endorse the tickets over, but if they could I believe Spirit would get a portion of the revenue. Spirit so far seems to only be offering either vouchers or refunds for unused portions of tickets and leaving passengers to fend for themselves.

The most expensive for Spirit would be every passenger taking the refund (cash flows out) and other airlines carrying (selling tickets to) the passengers (no revenue to Spirit).

I think the intent of the Spirit pilots is that the passengers suffer the least possible given the strike. If another airline wanted to fly Spirits routes and passengers (not that any airline has the spare planes sitting around to do that) it would help the passengers get where they wanted in a more timely manner. (Ignoring anyone wet leasing planes to Spirit since that would give the ticket revenue to Spirit).

Your are right about one thing. If a pilot is adamant about not doing "struck work" despite the Spirit pilot's request, he/she shouldn't even accept Spirit passengers - carrying those passengers is the work being struck. However, tell one of those adamant pilots that and you'll get the "but that's different because blah, blah, blah". They want it both ways - the ability to pat themselves on the back for their "strong union principles" yet have their company reap the financial rewards of carrying the extra passengers.

Jim

I love your posts, Jim. They are very informative. :)

The union has made it clear that other airlines are encouraged to add flights as long as it's not a code share with Spirit. That helps the passengers and puts economic pressure on management to settle this thing already.

Spirit Airlines flight attendants receive furlough notices

As Spirit Airlines and its pilots resume labor talks today, the airline's 600 flight attendants got notice they were furloughed.

Negotiations between Miramar-based Spirit Airlines and its 500 pilots on strike are taking place today at an undisclosed location in Fort Lauderdale. But that bit of positive news has been overshadowed by flight attendant lay-offs and the airline canceling flights through Thursday.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-spirit-airlines-0614-20100613,0,6379963.story

Looks like Falcon Air flew a flight for Spirit, Two Pilots from FA are now strikebreakers:

Video

Spirit and pilots reach strike settlement; flights could resume Friday

After a five-day strike that has ruined travel plans for thousands of passengers, Spirit Airlines and its pilots have settled their labor dispute and flights could resume as soon as Friday.

"We have a tentative agreement," said Art Luby, assistant director of representation for the Air Line Pilots Association. The agreement is subject to a back-to-work agreement, final language, and union membership approval.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-spirit-airlines-0614-20100613,0,6379963.story

As of 8:28 PM, the strike is called off. Pilots are free to accept calls to work on Thursday.

All the PM's of support have been appreciated (as well as the public messages).

Hope you got everything you wanted, or at least close enough to be satisfied. Congrats on standing tall and unified.

Jim

We'll see, but I have ultimate faith in my negotiating committee. Thanks for the support.

This is just the beginning as there are a lot of airlines with contracts beyond expiration that want some resolution. The RLA needs to be overhauled. We're now negotiating 10 year contracts.

So glad that you will make a difference time for Americans ,Airline Employees to get a fair wage...............................................I watched your videos and the message was clear.

Any information yet about the contract improvements gained in the tentative agreement? Did the company back away from most or all of their more ridiculous proposals?