Stage one

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
I've decided that i'm tired of just bitching and now i'm going to try and see if i can't get something done in this company . To that end i'm going to work in my freetime to try and improve our crappy magazine Here's a letter which i've just sent today , i'll let you know what their reply is when/if i get it . Just so you know , i do have a plan and i think it has some chance of sucess .

Hello us airways publications ,I’m a us airways employee , Recently i took a flight and during the course of the journey decided to read your publication , i was not impressed . Your magazine represents 37,000 us airways employees and puts a face on our company . When I read through this months and last months publication I was saddened to find that 90% of the magazine is devoted to Advertising . There is another publication that we put on the aircraft devoted to advertising things , it’s called sky mall , and I don’t think we need two different versions of it in each seat back .I’m not in nor have I ever been part of the publications business , but I know that we can do better , and I along with others want to build a winning airline . It is my belief that the first step to a better airline is a better in-flight publication .There are a lot of us who have a lot of ideas for improving the in-flight magazine , but first we’d like to hear your side of the story along with any history and future plans you might have for the magazine .

A few questions for you

1.Who are you ?Are you a part of us airways or a vendor ?

2. In last months edition (june) it stated that this magazine had won awards , please list the awards , who did the judging and any web links to this information .

3. i would like a history of this magazine and we also want to know your plans for the future .

I look forwards to hearing from you in the very near future.

Freedom

I've decided that i'm tired of just bitching and now i'm going to try and see if i can't get something done in this company . To that end i'm going to work in my freetime to try and improve our crappy magazine Here's a letter which i've just sent today , i'll let you know what their reply is when/if i get it . Just so you know , i do have a plan and i think it has some chance of sucess .
My guess is that you will get one of two responses:
#1---Dear Sir/Madame: You obviously have too much time on your hands...you need to work more hours for even less pay.
#2---Dear Sir/Madame: If we ever figure out how to run this company, we will then turn our attention to the inflight magazine.

Good luck !

Hello us airways publications ,I’m a us airways employee , Recently i took a flight and during the course of the journey decided to read your publication , i was not impressed . Your magazine represents 37,000 us airways employees and puts a face on our company . When I read through this months and last months publication I was saddened to find that 90% of the magazine is devoted to Advertising . There is another publication that we put on the aircraft devoted to advertising things , it’s called sky mall , and I don’t think we need two different versions of it in each seat back .I’m not in nor have I ever been part of the publications business , but I know that we can do better , and I along with others want to build a winning airline . It is my belief that the first step to a better airline is a better in-flight publication .There are a lot of us who have a lot of ideas for improving the in-flight magazine , but first we’d like to hear your side of the story along with any history and future plans you might have for the magazine .
A few questions for you

1.Who are you ?Are you a part of us airways or a vendor ?

2. In last months edition (june) it stated that this magazine had won awards , please list the awards , who did the judging and any web links to this information .

3. i would like a history of this magazine and we also want to know your plans for the future .

I look forwards to hearing from you in the very near future.

Freedom

Why don't you post your ideas instead of some lame questions for a starter?

The current magazine is NOT THAT BAD but is certainly no ATTACHE' either. Then again, the current customer base is NOT what it used to be either (and don't fool yourselves). Advertisements PAY for the publication but a better representation of goods/services and destinations that appeal to the CUSTOMER are what is needed.......selling million dollar condos in Charlotte or spa weekends in Sedona are really not what today's traveller on US are all about. Some of them still can't believe "YOU CHARGE for HEADSETS?" and the thought of selling luxury jewels/gems to this crowd is as promising as finding Noah's Ark. KISS.

#2---Dear Sir/Madame: If we ever figure out how to run this company, we will then turn our attention to the inflight magazine.

Good luck !

Hopefully, this is exactly the response you do get, because it's true.

Pace publishes the magazine for US for what amounts to be free of charge bc of all the advertisements. In reality, the magazine contains most of the features that Attache did, along with the 3 dozen extra pages of advertising. It's not that big of a deal IMO, though I did like the Your Turn feature that Attache had.

You're not going to win or lose any customers because of a good/bad inflight magazine but you will lose customers because of a poor FC product. I say we focus on the more important issues first!

Who cares about the damn magazine. We have more important issues.

Good point:
  • Lets try and match passengers with bags, first
  • Let's try and get a plane on time, first
  • Let's try and get more planes so our Mech. have more time with them to fix the old ones properly, First
  • Let's put some customer service back on the airplane, first
  • Let's fix the RES system, first
  • Let's put a reasonable seat pitch back on the widebodies, first

Good point:
  • Let's try and get more planes so our Mech. have more time with them to fix the old ones properly, First
Also, Let's bring in a Management Team that knows HOW to run an airline. NUMERO UNO, FIRST!

Pace publishes the magazine for US for what amounts to be free of charge bc of all the advertisements. In reality, the magazine contains most of the features that Attache did, along with the 3 dozen extra pages of advertising. It's not that big of a deal IMO, though I did like the Your Turn feature that Attache had.

You're not going to win or lose any customers because of a good/bad inflight magazine but you will lose customers because of a poor FC product. I say we focus on the more important issues first!

There's your answer: "Cost neutral"!!!

Your Turn was the best feature in Attache, but far too classy of a column to make the "US Airways Magazine" cut.

And I agree that US has much bigger problems on its hands than worry about the magazine layout. "US Airways Magazine" is just a symptom of the overall disease.

There's your answer: "Cost neutral"!!!

Your Turn was the best feature in Attache, but far too classy of a column to make the "US Airways Magazine" cut.

And I agree that US has much bigger problems on its hands than worry about the magazine layout. "US Airways Magazine" is just a symptom of the overall disease.

Yeah, I love those "ask dividend miles" questions in the new magazine - the replacement for "your turn."

Example:

Dear Dividend Miles, how do I redeem my miles with USAirways? Can I travel overseas with my miles:

Answer: Thank you for taking the time to write us concerning our world-class Dividend Miles program. We've partnered with over 15 airlines worldwide to get you where you need to go. Yes, you can use your miles, just log on to www.usair.com for details.

How about this... Wanna get better gas mileage? Dump the magazine. How much does each weigh times every seat on the plane? Oh yeah, how about the floor of the 737/757 closets loaded with them or the first overhead bins? Nobody really "gets into" the magazine. How about a small flyer with all the info that's in the back such as the airports, beverages and all the movie stuff. Who really cares about the damn thing. Get rid of it. I say get rid of the seatback pocket PERIOD. Nothing to clean and nowhere to throw your snotrags and bananna peels. Put the emergency info on the seatback like the E-190 exit rows.

How about this... Wanna get better gas mileage? Dump the magazine. How much does each weigh times every seat on the plane? Oh yeah, how about the floor of the 737/757 closets loaded with them or the first overhead bins? Nobody really "gets into" the magazine. How about a small flyer with all the info that's in the back such as the airports, beverages and all the movie stuff. Who really cares about the damn thing. Get rid of it. I say get rid of the seatback pocket PERIOD. Nothing to clean and nowhere to throw your snotrags and bananna peels. Put the emergency info on the seatback like the E-190 exit rows.

:up: :up: :up:

Dear Dividend Miles, how do I redeem my miles with USAirways? Can I travel overseas with my miles:

Answer: Thank you for taking the time to write us concerning our world-class Dividend Miles program. We've partnered with over 15 airlines worldwide to get you where you need to go. Yes, you can use your miles, just log on to www.usair.com for details.

laugh.gif

Good point:
Those are all good points , why don't YOU pick one and see if you can do something about it , as for me ,i'm going to try and get something done with the magazine .

If there are more imporant issues then those of you who feel deeply on those issues should attempt to make things better .

i'm out of the loop right now so i have NO idea whats going on with my union and the "talks " they are having with the company , the last update to the IAM webcite said things are going swell , so as far as i'm concerned for the time being that's that .

Latest posts