Star Alliance Expansion

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Star Alliance welcomes Air China
Tuesday May 23, 2006
Less than two weeks after establishing a foothold in China with the addition of Shanghai Airlines, Star Alliance yesterday solidified its presence with the addition of Air China, the country's most profitable carrier.Once the two airlines become full members, Star will have bases in both Shanghai and Beijing, giving it a leg up on rivals SkyTeam, which signed an MOU with Guangzhou-based China Southern Airlines in 2004, and oneworld, which still is without a member based in mainland China and eventually may look to Shanghai's China Eastern Airlines.

(full story)
http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=5137

Air China has improved in its operational and service areas in recent years(or they would not have been able to join *A). But I thought I would ask the fine posters on this board for their views of CA (and what you think of what this will mean for UAL)

What it means for UA is tapping into a stronger base of traffic/revenue in the very hot Chinese market. It also solidifies UA's relationship in China. Let's not forget that AC is a state-run carrier. The more UA cultivates their relationship in China, the more it will help them get increased expansion opportunities down the road.

What it means for UA is tapping into a stronger base of traffic/revenue in the very hot Chinese market. It also solidifies UA's relationship in China. Let's not forget that AC is a state-run carrier. The more UA cultivates their relationship in China, the more it will help them get increased expansion opportunities down the road.

Exactly - Welcome to the STAR Air China - and way to get the one up on Sky Team - UAL is headed in the right path in the asian market - I wonder what AA thinks about that -- I heard they are pulling one of their west coast flights to NRT as well (supposedly to use the aircraft in the china market)

Just rumors at this point goodgirl37. May or may not happen, it is under review. It might just be moved to SFO, ORD or some other city. Never know.

Back