Stars boycott Beverly Hills Hotel over Brunei 'sharia'

xUT

Veteran
Dec 28, 2009
SanFranFreako, KommieFornia
Stars boycott Beverly Hills Hotel over Brunei 'sharia'

Stars of Hollywood are boycotting one of the area's most famous hotels because of a harsh Islamic penal code introduced by Brunei's government.
Comedians Jay Leno and Ellen DeGeneres are among the celebrities supporting the boycott against the Beverly Hills Hotel and other hotels owned by Brunei.

FYI, Brunei's GDP is 90% Oil!
Bet they drove their gas guzzlers to the protest... LOL

Virgin group founder Richard Branson tweeted on Saturday that his employees and family would not stay at the luxury hotel chain "until the Sultan abides by basic human rights".
Yet fills his planes with fuel... LOL

But Christopher Cowdray, the chief executive of the Dorchester Collection chain, said those protesting have ignored local hotels owned by countries with poor human rights records.
"There are other hotel companies in this city that ar owned by Saudi Arabia... you know, your shirt probably comes from a country which has human rights issues," Mr Cowdray said, adding a boycott would hurt local employees the most.
BuBuBuBuBuBuBuBuBuBuBut that's different.... LOL

_74679649_74679644.jpg

I wonder if the picture was taken by an ipad assembled in a Chinese sweatshop by 15 year olds... :p

Reactions: 1 person
I guess i am missing the connection. Because we live in a world unwilling to break it's dependence on fossil fuels we can not be outraged by human rights abuses? Odds are its not just the electronics we use are made in sweat shops. Some of the components in our cars, our clothing, home fixtures ... are also made by cheap labor. That does not preclude us from being out raged by human rights abuse. Stoning is pretty out there. I don't see a problem with the protest especially when someone in our own back yard supports such practices. We cannot force Brunei to change its policy. We do have the ability to influence the owner of the hotel. Why is that a bad thing?

Oh since the idiot celebrities, that are worshipped by their mindless fans, are for it I'm sure to wave half a peace sign!

Ms Tree said:
I guess i am missing the connection. Because we live in a world unwilling to break it's dependence on fossil fuels we can not be outraged by human rights abuses? Odds are its not just the electronics we use are made in sweat shops. Some of the components in our cars, our clothing, home fixtures ... are also made by cheap labor. That does not preclude us from being out raged by human rights abuse. Stoning is pretty out there. I don't see a problem with the protest especially when someone in our own back yard supports such practices. We cannot force Brunei to change its policy. We do have the ability to influence the owner of the hotel. Why is that a bad thing?
You won't hurt the owners, just the people who work there.
Saudi Arabia has the same laws but no one protests at their businesses.
The hotel itself does not discriminate.
It's a hollow protest.

Not sure why it would be a hollow protest.  The owner runs the hotel to make a profit.  Hurt his bottom line and it is effective.  Does it hurt the employees.  Yes.  I do not see a way around that in any similar situation.  There will always be collateral damage.  Does he get a pass because of his employees?  Same could be said of the companies you mentioned earlier.  The Ipads may be made with what amounts to slave labor but with out that meager wage the people are making, they have nothing.  It is a moral dilemma.

What Saudi Arabia or Brunei are doing is not the issue.  The issue seems to be what this guy supports.  

There is not 'one' owner. The Dorchester Collection owned by Brunei invester group Brunei Investment Agency.

The hotel does not discriminate. It's a protest against the investors which happen to be owned by Brunei.
A better place for the protest would be the Brunei embassy but that is in DC.

Seems like the Hotel is the perfect place to protest.  The government instituted the stoning penalty.  There is no penalty if the consulate is marched at.  There is a financial penalty at the hotel.  Will it have an effect.  Hard to tell, probably not but it will be more effective than marching at the consulate.

Not sure why it would be a hollow protest.  The owner runs the hotel to make a profit.  Hurt his bottom line and it is effective.  Does it hurt the employees.  Yes.  I do not see a way around that in any similar situation.  There will always be collateral damage.  Does he get a pass because of his employees?  Same could be said of the companies you mentioned earlier.  The Ipads may be made with what amounts to slave labor but with out that meager wage the people are making, they have nothing.  It is a moral dilemma.

What Saudi Arabia or Brunei are doing is not the issue.  The issue seems to be what this guy supports.
Says the hypocrite who doesn't work there, and won't be hurt either way. And why are peoples' freedoms being taken away, by the mindless masses? Who cares what people support? EVERY HUMAN BEING IN THE HUMAN RACE HAS SKELETONS IN THEIR CLOSETS. The problem is that those who live in glass houses are throwing stones. Along the way they are choosing which houses to throw their stones at, while criticizing others that throw stones.

If they are so worried about 'sharia' maybe they should look at what is on your own back door.

We can't make Brunei change its policy, but we can influence the owner of a hotel. Why is that a bad thing?

The twist continues, and the ignorance shows. Our problem is with Brunei, why should we hurt a business that can't help your stupid cause?

Too bad we can't make this into one of those darn Christian-thingy where they protest something and people arrive in droves just to counter their protests!

Ms Tree said:
Seems like the Hotel is the perfect place to protest.  The government instituted the stoning penalty.  There is no penalty if the consulate is marched at.  There is a financial penalty at the hotel.  Will it have an effect.  Hard to tell, probably not but it will be more effective than marching at the consulate.
There will be no effect.
Grandstanding with no substance.
The financial penalty is covered by insurance.
Big boys won't loose a dime.
Short term penalty is more MeriCans loose jobs.
Hoo Rah!
:p

xUT said:
There will be no effect.
Grandstanding with no substance.
The financial penalty is covered by insurance.
Big boys won't loose a dime.
Short term penalty is more MeriCans loose jobs.
Hoo Rah!
:p
Insurance for loss of bookings?

Latest posts