State Of The Airline

If you are going to hang on, realize you are growing older by the day, a less desirable choice to future employers who will take into account the synaptic connections, the very negative synaptic connections that working for any airline produces. Don't believe it, neither did I and thousands of others but here we are. If you have a good marketable skill that is currently in demand, then it's my opinion you are extremely foolish to let it set idle and fantasize about the great future you will have with this new airline lead by a "wonder" boy who puts his pants on the same way as you do and "wonders" every morning what the hell he got himself into.

Calibrator,

Wow you just summed up my life with one exception. After my second furlough I caught the distinct smell of coffee one morning and left this joke of an industry. I wasted over 15 years of my life in it. Get out while you can!

Career Furloughee

I would say he sounds like a rational thinking person who understands that two losers coming together doesn’t equal a single winner. Clicking your heels together whispering a prayer that everything will be alright is a self help measure to reassure a semblance of sanity in a insane industry. Dreaming that Parker is something different, special, enlightened with statements such as: "Today we start a new chapter in aviation history," won’t assure and solidify a golden future by any stretch.

Calibrator,

Most of your comments are rationale and well thought out, but "two losers coming together doesn't equal a single winner" must be challenged on at least one front: AWA was not a loser, and while US Airways was having it's difficulties, the employees held the airline together long enough for a second chance. The reality of the situation is this....there are no guarentees, only hope that with the right leadership we will have a future. Many are willing and hungry for good leadership. Leadership that will make wise and sound decisions. Do we have that type of leadership now? Time will tell, but at least most will agree the right things are being said. We only have to wait to see if the things being said are put into action. Equipment and other resource improvements in Philly is a good start. Will all the decisions be "good" ones? Hopefully more good than bad. Indecision would lead to certain death in our changing environment, but all can be assured that indecision won't happen on DP's watch. Most of us that are left have aviation in our blood and while it may be difficult to turn away from the aviation calling....your advice is good advice for those unprepared or not willing to take more heartache in an industry that has yet to shake out. There is life after aviation.

Already there are signs in PHL. The beltloader situation has been addressed by GSE who eliminated the fuses. Now people can't disable the beltloaders. Today, I had one on my gate for the entire shift. My hat's off to the genius who thought of that one.

Growth 2-3 years out.

this is an old U strategy we've used in the past and it didn't work then and it won't now...we will be passed up and have to catch up.....this is a sad history lesson once again.... :down:
Yea remember the big aribus order that the pilots bought hook line and sinker

Already there are signs in PHL. The beltloader situation has been addressed by GSE who eliminated the fuses. Now people can't disable the beltloaders. Today, I had one on my gate for the entire shift. My hat's off to the genius who thought of that one.

Wouldn't be surprised if our GSE folks are helping to assess the situation. Our GSE folks are very innovative and have been empowered to find ways to make things better. They have all kinds of equipment they have modified.

The beltloader situation has been addressed by GSE who eliminated the fuses. Now people can't disable the beltloaders

Could you please elaborate? There have been rumors about equipment being sabotaged in PHL; how widespread is it? And have efforts been made to find the knuckleheads doing it?

Uh-oh, I see thread creep ahead!

You sound like the ultimate pessimist.

When the three prior management groups uttered the same, exact sound patterns, and subsequently defaulted on all promises deriving from such utterances, it is really hard to hear the same sound patterns and expect different.

Growth for a brand new merged airline should not occur until the operation that AWA inherited is sound and customers have been given some attention. As much as I would like to see growth, I think we need to straighten things out before we add to the mix.

Inherited? Yes, let us "straighten things out" right now before we grow, shrink or just stay the same!!!!

As a victim of three mergers, soon to be four, I say, put your cards on the table so you can enlighten us.

For the court record, are you saying that beltloaders were disabled by pulling fuses? Would not any mech worth their salt figure that out right away? Are you saying PHL did not stock enough fuses, just in case?

I have personally ordered one beltloader away from my aircraft in PHL, it had a flat, the dude was running on the rims. I have ordered one bag loader to rest, in FLL, two days before Christmas. The idiot station manager had four people to load and unload aircraft all day, at the time there were nine aircraft on the ground needing servicing and the dude had been working seven hours straight and was reduced to zombie-like behavior, just so the station manager could get a bonus for himself by understaffing, according to ops.

Can you figure out there is more than one problem in FLL?

Could you please elaborate? There have been rumors about equipment being sabotaged in PHL; how widespread is it? And have efforts been made to find the knuckleheads doing it?

If there isn't enough equipment employees who want to keep what they have on their gate pull a fuse so no one can start it. When the flight comes in the fuse is replaced.

It is a result of endless equipment shortages. Rampers adapt.

SOP in PHL. If you want to keep equiptment on your gate and have to leave for a minute or two, you disable it. Problems arise when agents neglect to replace the fuses and GSE runs out of new fuses. Rewiring the belts should alleviate this problem.
There is, however, an acute tug shortage, which could if not fixed immediately, result in another 'meltdown' situation here. The express takeover by mainline has put pressure on to an already stressed operation. I forsee a problem Thanksgiving in PHL.

Like some of us have nothing to do over the holidays and we remember when U asked their employees to come to PHL to work.
How about it gang. We could show that we're really ready to work together and make this thing work.
Well when the OLD U did that it was a slap in the face for our folks.But Lets dont go there on this.
I think its addmirable that you would be willing to come out and help.It reminds me of the old days when airlines were family and we all chiped in,no matter what.Thanks for the offer. :up: :up: :up:

Uh-oh, I see thread creep ahead!
I will hold of for proper thread to be started it could get real ugly real fast.The fuses are not the problem the problem is they are taking the fuse holders,,and now have found new ways to dissable the equipt since the fuse mode to stop it.

I will hold off till the proper post.

Back