Still Think this is The Land of Liberty?

Not going to waste time watching the video but I think if the police have probable cause they can legally come in with or with out your permission. Feel free to test out your theory and let us know how it works out. I am curious.

Ms Tree said:
Not going to waste time watching the video but I think if the police have probable cause they can legally come in with or with out your permission. Feel free to test out your theory and let us know how it works out. I am curious.
 Don't watch the video? Then your opinion is irrelevant.

Entry into a home requires a search warrant. The only probable cause a police might have is if they witness the person inside intentionally hurting themselves or others. If it is a criminal matter, unless they see a subject enter a resident, they require a search warrant.

But search warrants can be obtained in as little as a few minutes to an hour max. Go ahead and delay the inevitable.

These two boneheads never came back because they were thugs/rogue officers with no respect for the citizens who they are sworn to protect.

These past weekend I had the pleasure to work with a professional local police force. Respectful and courteous to all of the festival attendees. Handled two emergencies with compassion and speed. They worked hand in hand to ensure the safety of our attendees.

These folks aren't the problem

SparrowHawk said:
Don't watch the video? Then your opinion is irrelevant.
I did not need to.listen to Ms Cleo to know she was a fraud. By all means test your theory. I'm am curious how it will work out for you.

These two boneheads never came back because they were thugs/rogue officers with no respect for the citizens who they are sworn to protect.

These past weekend I had the pleasure to work with a professional local police force. Respectful and courteous to all of the festival attendees. Handled two emergencies with compassion and speed. They worked hand in hand to ensure the safety of our attendees.

These folks aren't the problem
I'm not going to knock police officers or disrespect the men and women in blue.

I respect the police and I have worked with them in various occasions.

If you were working with them you were subject to as much PR as a choreographed Kardashian show. What were they going to do? Take you on a police brutality emergency? OK so I might exaggerate, but cops deal with different personalities. Even simple routines can turn deadly and our society is becoming more violent.

By the way, in reality To Protect And Serve actually refers to their government. From municipal to federal.

signals said:
I'm not going to knock police officers or disrespect the men and women in blue.

I respect the police and I have worked with them in various occasions.

If you were working with them you were subject to as much PR as a choreographed Kardashian show. What were they going to do? Take you on a police brutality emergency? OK so I might exaggerate, but cops deal with different personalities. Even simple routines can turn deadly and our society is becoming more violent.

By the way, in reality To Protect And Serve actually refers to their government. From municipal to federal.

I've had many conversations on this topic with many officers of various ranks.

The "Thin Blue Line" BS will be their downfall. The thugs and REO's (Revenue Enhancement Officers) need to be ferreted out NOW or the thin blue line collapses into chaos like Ferguson.

The police department as revenue generator is an even worse temptation for local municipalities then poorly trained mentally unstable officers. In order to have a law abiding society people have to trust their police. 

BTW, the police in the other post weren't always the way they are now. Three years ago they got a new chief after the old one "Retired", had something to do with a 20 year old and some kinda shenanigans. The entire tone of the department went from Storm Troopers to Public Servants.

SparrowHawk said:
BTW, the police in the other post weren't always the way they are now. Three years ago they got a new chief after the old one "Retired", had something to do with a 20 year old and some kinda shenanigans. The entire tone of the department went from Storm Troopers to Public Servants.

Wait a minute.  I thought the new face of law enforcement were these thugs you keep talking about. 

777 fixer said:

Wait a minute.  I thought the new face of law enforcement were these thugs you keep talking about. 
Not everywhere and not all the time. You have a percentage of officers and leadership that think they are above the law. A gun and a badge DO NOT confer extra rights and you do not promote American Ideals through Un-American actions

When is a Warrant Not Required?
There are times when police can perform a search without a warrant, and most searches actually do occur without warrants being issued. That is not to say the police can barge into your home and search it without a warrant; if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and there is not probable cause, a search warrant is required. However, if probable cause does occur, such as the suspect runs away, a gunshot is heard from another room in a home, or even when an individual makes a sudden movement, a search becomes legal without a warrant. Even with a reasonable expectation of privacy, the police can legally conduct a search without a warrant in situations in which certain exemptions apply.
Exemption 1 – Consent: If an individual freely and voluntarily agrees to a search of his or her property, without being tricked or coerced into doing so, the police can search this property without a warrant. Police do not have to inform you that you do, indeed, have the right to refuse a search, and individuals have been arrested and even sent to jail because they did not know they had the right to refuse search and seizure.
If two or more people live at the same location, usually one tenant cannot consent to a search of areas owned by another tenant. A tenant can, however, consent to a search of the common areas of a home, such as the living room or kitchen. A landlord is prohibited from giving consent to the search of his or her tenant's private belongings, and the Supreme Court has also ruled that an individual cannot consent to the search of a house on behalf of a spouse. An employer, however, can consent to a search of a company, which includes an employee's work area, but not an employee's personal belongings.
Exemption 2 – The Plain View Doctrine: Police officers can legally search an area and seize evidence if it is clearly visible. If the police see an illegal act occurring outside of your home, they may perform a search and seize evidence from your home without a search warrant. For example, if a police officer stops a driver for speeding and sees marijuana in the window, a search can be conducted without a warrant. The police must still have probable cause, however, that the items are indeed illegal.
Exemption 3 – Search Incident to Arrest: Police officers do not need a warrant to perform a search in connection with an arrest. If you are arrested for a crime, the police have the legal right to protect themselves by searching for weapons, evidence that could be destroyed, or accomplices to the crime. For example, if you are arrested for drug possession, the police can search for additional drugs by searching you, your home, or your car, and any evidence found can be used against you in a court of law.
Police can also perform what is called a “protective sweep” following an arrest. This is done if the police believe a dangerous accomplice or accomplices may be hiding inside a specific location. The police will walk through the location and can legally visually inspect places in which an accomplice may be hiding. In addition, the police can legally seize any evidence located in plain view during the sweep.
Exemption 4 – Exigent Circumstances: If the police feel that the time it would take to get a warrant would jeopardize public safety or lead to the loss of evidence, they can perform a search without a warrant. For example, the police can forcibly enter a home if it is probable that evidence is being destroyed, if a suspect is trying to escape, or if someone is being injured. The police officer's responsibility to preserve evidence, arrest a suspect, or protect an individual outweighs the search warrant requirement.
Know Your Rights…
If the police show up at your doorstep claiming they would like to look around, you are legally allowed to refuse this request. However, many times it is in your best interest to allow access in order to avoid injury or being charged with interfering in a police investigation. That being said, you are not required to give consent to a search without a warrant, and you should always ask the police officers for identification and an explanation as to why they are at your location. If the police do have a warrant, you can ask them to read the search warrant to you.
If a search of your home or vehicle has already occurred and you are not sure if it was done legally, you should contact a criminal defense attorney and be apprised of your legal rights going forward.

Reactions: 1 person
SparrowHawk said:

Doesn't that contradict the entire theme of your post? 

777 fixer said:

Doesn't that contradict the entire theme of your post? 

In a way YES.

But who allows those types of Police Chiefs into a position of power for 20 something years. Under the old regime civil forfeiture laws were used to purchase over $750,000 worth of what I'll call "toys". This is the best equipped 20 person police force I've ever encountered.

So in the end the issue of loss of Liberty comes down to two things in this example. 

1. Civil Forfeiture is the real issue. These laws are a heinous violation of civil liberties to varying degrees nationwide. Now you really can't fault small police departments in cash strapped communities for exploiting these laws.

2. When police use the technology they've acquired through leveraging civil forfeiture in inappropriate ways. Using this police force as an example, under the old chief they bought advanced license plate scanners. Neat technology BTW. Under the old Chief they used these scanners as Revenue Enhancement tools, scanning nearly every plate that passed them looking for whatever they could find with no probable cause and often precious little oversight. New Chief they have stricter guidelines.

The generic problem is a near total lack on accountability. Arrest a fellow officer who clearly would be arrested and it could cost you your job or even your life. If a cop is convicted by some miracle there is almost always minimal jail time if any compared to what you and I might get. 

The point remains that a Gun & Badge don't grant cops extra rights.

Latest posts