Surprisingly, NO ONE has thought of this ....................

Aug 20, 2002
A. 1st qtr abortion numbers($$$$$) come out tomorrow (Wed).
B. Carty resigns by day's end.
C. Uncle Bobby RETURNS by (the same)days end.
AND,
(drum roll plz.)
(with RLC's connections) he buys a little time $$$$$$$$,
and SHRINKS THIS ****** AIRLINE(LIKE HE DID IN 70's/80's,) AND DOESNT HAVE TO GO BK-11.

Down the road EVERY UNION person gets RE-CALLED(if they so desire)( most non union ??, oh well, you should've voted one in when you had ample chances), AND EVERY ONE LIVES HAPPILY EVER AFTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds GOOD to me !!

?????

NH/BB's

That's what I like about you NH/BB's! You think just like me.
Those are my predictions in some shape, way, or form.
Everyone is speculating that DC is out and RC is in.
If RC was still at the helm, right after 9/11, we would have seen more immediate and drastic actions at AA. Until now, AA has really done nothing. No major trimming of flights, no major grounding of aircraft. I would rather see RC come back, restore management numbers back to pre-DC numbers. I believe RC would have just cut heads and shrink somewhat. Better to have a reduced number of happy workers as opposed to a greater number of pissed off ones.
And please spare me the Bob Crandall S.O.B. nonsense. Look who we have now!

Crandall would have acted immediately following 9/11. Good or bad, he would have ACTED to curtail the losses. Carty has done NOTHING.
It really gets old comparing Crandall to Carty.
Crandall was simply the best in the airline game. I'm not saying he was labor's biggest friend,or any friend at all, but he knew how to make a profit. With his leadership, AA tripled in size over 10 years and was quite profitable doing it. In turn, the workforce grew as did union memebers' ranks. And for starters, the first thing Carty did when he took the reins was to increase managements' ranks at least two fold. FOR WHAT REASON? Do we need more supervisors than crew chiefs? This is productive?

Everyone realizes that AMR needs to be profitable again. Everyone realizes sacrifices have to be made. But Carty is NOT THE ONE WHO CAN PULL THIS OFF1

Please don't give me the lesser of two evils rhetoric. As a union member in the airlines for over 30 years, I still say LAYOFF! That is the way to cut costs!

Bears, someone has thougth of this in a reply to you on another topic...how original...You see WXguesser had this reply yesterday:

On 4/22/2003 11:21:48 PM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:

WXGuesser;
You have NO idea, how correct you ARE.
(little) CRANDALL "2" is a shoe in, with one VERY BIG exception.
Uncle Bobby Himself.
NH/BB''s

----------------

Bears:

If you''re right, how long do you think "Uncle Bobby" would stay? If Crandall were to come back, I''d bet it would be for a year, 18 months at the outside,(enough to "right the ship" as they say) then hand it over to Arpey.

Do you think Crandall would come in and file for Ch. 11 to accomplish his "right-sizing" of the airline?

You want to make a friendly wager on who the replacement will be?

TANSTAAFL

----------------
On 4/23/2003 12:08:23 AM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:

B. Carty resigns by day''s end.
AND,
(drum roll plz.)
(with RLC''s connections) he buys a little time $$$$$$$$,
and SHRINKS THIS ****** AIRLINE(LIKE HE DID IN 70''s/80''s,) AND DOES"NT HAVE TO GO BK-11.

Down the road EVERY UNION person gets RE-CALLED(if they so desire)( "most" non union ??, oh well, you should''ve voted one in when you had ample chances), AND EVERY ONE LIVES HAPPILY EVER AFTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds GOOD to me !!

?????

NH/BB''s

----------------​

And the Easter Bunny just flew out of my &%#! Keep dreaming Bears. I can''t believe that the same union people who want Crandall back, are the ones who hated him not so long ago....remember his comments about flight attendants? I am not sure he is the one the unions want back. He will shrink this airline in a NY minute. I thought you guys wanted to save jobs. If you think it is bad with Carty, just wait to Crandall would do. I would love to see Crandall back, but it''s all just smoke and mirrors.

Golfer,
Who do you think would come back after the 18 monthys. I agree with you, If Crandall came back, it would only be temp. ANd you are right we all did hate him (Hate is too mild a word here). But everyone that I knew RESPECTED him. We did not agree with his personal tactics(ie:no personality etc..)but are those really essential to a good CEO?

Any Union person who claims they did not hate him, is either lying or on drugs.....

and would the unions have applauded those drastic cuts that Crandall would have done, or would they have screamed to the press that we did not need such drastic cuts. I would love to see Crandall back...but the union people asking for him back is just too funny....you guys hated him when he was here....I predict if he does come back it will be in an intrim basis and Arpey would be successor in training. Crandall and mini me baby Crandall.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 7:30:35 AM Imagolfer wrote:

----------------
On 4/23/2003 12:08:23 AM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:

B. Carty resigns by day''s end.
AND,
(drum roll plz.)
(with RLC''s connections) he buys a little time $$$$$$$$,
and SHRINKS THIS ****** AIRLINE(LIKE HE DID IN 70''s/80''s,) AND DOES"NT HAVE TO GO BK-11.

Down the road EVERY UNION person gets RE-CALLED(if they so desire)( "most" non union ??, oh well, you should''ve voted one in when you had ample chances), AND EVERY ONE LIVES HAPPILY EVER AFTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds GOOD to me !!

?????

NH/BB''s

----------------​

And the Easter Bunny just flew out of my &%#! Keep dreaming Bears. I can''t believe that the same union people who want Crandall back, are the ones who hated him not so long ago....remember his comments about flight attendants? I am not sure he is the one the unions want back. He will shrink this airline in a NY minute. I thought you guys wanted to save jobs. If you think it is bad with Carty, just wait to Crandall would do. I would love to see Crandall back, but it''s all just smoke and mirrors.

----------------​

Imagolfer;
If you''ve read my(almost daily) posts, for the last 6-9 months, you would have seen me say that"when it comes down to the 2 most difficult choices a union has to make(saving jobs, OR SHRINKING the airline, which unfortunately means losing more jobs TEMPORARILY), you "would" have seen me say "SHRINK"

WHY,
Because the Greatest and most "begrudgingly" RESPECTED Airline CEO in US aviation history(I DID"NT SAY THE MOST "LOVED"),was faced with a quite similiar situation in the late 70''s/early 80''s , and he virtually REBUILT this airline into a powerhouse, for over 15 years.

PLUS,
Crandall DID, and would have done it "this" time, "WITHOUT going anyway near BK-11.

Back to jobs losses for a second.
Any union person, who was laid off during that "previous" period, ALL got a RE-CALL to come back to work.

THAT, "imagolfer" is the correct way to handle a bad situation like this !!

NH/BB''s

"Any Union person who claims they did not hate him, is either lying or on drugs....."

Yes, but it was a love/hate thing. Many said, "He might be a SOB, but he''s our SOB".

Well, maybe not love/hate, but a hate with some qualifications, even grudging respect.

NHBB,

Shrinking the airline will NOT work. It might have worked in the 80''s but that was twenty years ago and times have changed. Shrinking the airline only makes life easier for the low-fare carriers that AA has to compete against. If AA shrinks and reduces services, you''re just handing your passengers over to WN,JBLU,FL,etc on a silver platter.

Plus, you''re not fundamentally changing your bloated cost structure. Getting rid of all the young employees and leaving work rules as they are, just leaves you with a bunch of highly paid senior employees. How will AA compete against low-fare carriers who have a younger, more efficient work force?

If your only solution is to shrink AA, then AA will not remain a force in this industry for the long-haul.

Back