Survey shows Delta lags behind on "brand respect"

The 16% observation has NOTHING to do with unions. it is reflective of human nature.

Notice that the stats are not unlike bell curves about other topics.

Reactions: 1 person

Wow so a few random passengers complain, big deal.

I bet there are many complaints about your bank, and did your company take the TARP funds?

Funny US has been in the top tier of rankings and making money, even won the airline quality award, has AA?

I can pull up videos and links about how good or bad any airline is.

http://www.airlinequ...orum/us_air.htm

Josh

Not dismissing anything. I was serious about commercials. When's the last time you saw a commercial for Delta? Now, when's the last time you saw a commercial for Coke.

Not saying a commercial will solve it all, but getting your brand , out to the public, in a positive way, whether online or on tv, is a start !

We have CNBC on at the office around the clock and there seem to be fairly regular Keep Climbing ads for DL. I have also seen them on Bloomberg from time to time, probably has a lot to do with DLs focus on NYC and securing corporate relationships.

I am no marketing or advertising expert but the trend has been away from TV spots. Many companies have been cutting back in this area and focusing more online, SEO, social media, etc. Not saying TV spots aren't an effective way to market but they are increasingly being replaced with other online and mobile advertising platforms.

Josh

So what's the problem with letting someone go, if they are not doing their job, Kev?

Not a thing. Never've said otherwise.

True but you do know full well that in a collective bargaining structure it is difficult/impossible to terminate and hold employees accountable for their actions and performance. Case in point the drunk Chrysler workers in Michigan that the company was forced to rehire. You may not condone this practice but you have never condemned it or acknowledged that it is a problem that exists and one of the many reasons companies are concerned when employees organize. I've never understood why the labor movement hasn't capitalized on all the great things organized workers do and can do. Why not put a positive spin on things? Instead of wearing shirts attacking management and that say "will strike if provoked" why not tout their expertise and professionalism in their trade?

Josh

Ok company boy explain why the DOT received more complaints about USAIR than Delta, both on an absolute basis (number of complains) and relative basis since DL is a much larger airline carrying more passengers? You are just so emotionally attached to USAIR, seems you won't tolerate any legitimate criticism. Sometimes I wonder if you love the airline more than the IAM. Why isn't you handle N11AM, the reg for Buffy's Lear? (http://www.airliners...regsearch=N11AM)

http://www.dot.gov/s...2013AUGATCR.pdf

(See table 4 on p. 43)

Josh

IOW, so what.
It is precisely because DL recognizes that the legacy carrier segment of the airline industry is damaged that they are putting forth the effort to improve the quality of their product and are succeeding very well at doing it.

But it also doesn't change that airline travel receives poor marks relative to other brands. Consumer products companies will likely always score higher than airlines of any brand.

DOT consumer reports have long been one of the most widely used metrics for how well the airline industry and particular companies with it are doing.

DL's performance has been and continued to improve relative to its peers and the vast majority of DL employees do support the company's efforts and do their jobs well. And since many of the metrics are heavily influenced by airport employees, DL is seeing results from its strategies to work with its employees to improve the company's overall performance and they absolutely should share in the success of what they are helping accomplish.

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.dev/files/docs/2013AUGATCR.pdf

It is precisely because of DL's operational performance tied to its growth in key industry markets that explains why DL's financial results are strong and continue to grow.
Which is it WT? So what? ...or another wiki type post explaining away why it doesn't really matter?

Not that long ago, to be honest. For awhile, it seemed like I couldn't turn a TV on w/o hearing Donald Sutherland's voice.

Coke? That's a good question.

Not a thing. Never've said otherwise.

But remind us again what labor/unions has to do with the topic.

Surely, you're not saying that being unionized--> automatically a bad employee--> needs to go?

Or worse, buying into the myth that being pro-labor by default means you are anti-company?

No, not saying that union= lazy "Employee's" but union does = "Some Employee's who think they're bullet-proof and can goof off because the union has their back !

True but you do know full well that in a collective bargaining structure it is difficult/impossible to terminate and hold employees accountable for their actions and performance.

I don't know that at all. Fact is, if mgmt brings an airtight case to the table, there's not much any union rep (or CBA) can do.

However, many times mgmt. either shoots first and asks questions later (unjust discipline), or are simply lazy in their due diligence. They make grievance(s) really easy to win.

I've never understood why the labor movement hasn't capitalized on all the great things organized workers do and can do. Why not put a positive spin on things? Instead of wearing shirts attacking management and that say "will strike if provoked" why not tout their expertise and professionalism in their trade?

They do. It just gets drowned out by the "union thug" smear campaign and other anti-labor messaging. Like I say, there's a lot of work to wrt undoing 30+ years of messaging...

Which is it WT? So what? ...or another wiki type post explaining away why it doesn't really matter?

Hey GQ--

Seen this guy lately?

Buzz_Killington.jpg

A couple of points Kev. I see you conveniently skipped over the Chrysler part. Care to comment on it or even acknowdledge it?

Secondly, why do you often respond "labor has been in a downward spiral for 30 years, we are amidst a turnaround but you can't expect to see change immediately". If unions wouldn't strike on Christmas Day, sabotage company equipment/facilities, and not act like they live in a vacuum when discussing the need for concesions or health care/pension reform the public would overcome the "union thug" perception.

Josh

True but you do know full well that in a collective bargaining structure it is difficult/impossible to terminate and hold employees accountable for their actions and performance. Case in point the drunk Chrysler workers in Michigan that the company was forced to rehire. You may not condone this practice but you have never condemned it or acknowledged that it is a problem that exists and one of the many reasons companies are concerned when employees organize. I've never understood why the labor movement hasn't capitalized on all the great things organized workers do and can do. Why not put a positive spin on things? Instead of wearing shirts attacking management and that say "will strike if provoked" why not tout their expertise and professionalism in their trade?

Josh
I call BS, as long as a company uses Just Cause, there is no problem making a termination stick.

Just because you have a CBA doesnt stop a company from firing you, it just gives you a grievance procedure for the employee to seek a recourse.

I have seen many people get fired in my 20 year career at US, and at Freightliner and PM USA, all unionized companies.

And Alcoholism is a disease covered by the ADA.

How about the CEO of NW getting busted with weed at a security checkpoint, they didnt fire him!

Ok company boy explain why the DOT received more complaints about USAIR than Delta, both on an absolute basis (number of complains) and relative basis since DL is a much larger airline carrying more passengers? You are just so emotionally attached to USAIR, seems you won't tolerate any legitimate criticism. Sometimes I wonder if you love the airline more than the IAM. Why isn't you handle N11AM, the reg for Buffy's Lear? (http://www.airliners...regsearch=N11AM)

http://www.dot.gov/s...2013AUGATCR.pdf

(See table 4 on p. 43)

Josh
Off-Topic--Alert.gif

Funny how you are so obsessed with me, you have to make each post about me and not the issue.

Back to the topic:

Mgmt. emailed this video to everyone in my station earlier this week. It's but one of several related communications we've received in the last several days:

http://www.bloomberg...km5F9LkZeQ.html

Despite some trying to dismiss this survey, the company clearly feels otherwise.
just your station?

again, where did anyone other than you say to dismiss the survey?

I DID say that legacy airlines will likely never compete favorably w/ Coke and Pepsi

A couple of points Kev. I see you conveniently skipped over the Chrysler part. Care to comment on it or even acknowdledge it?

Other than to say that using an extreme example to make the case for the whole being a flimsy way to build an argument, no...

Secondly, why do you often respond "labor has been in a downward spiral for 30 years, we are amidst a turnaround but you can't expect to see large-or wholesale- changes immediately?"

Because it's true.

(Note: Bold text is my doing to more accurately reflect what I usually post )

If unions wouldn't strike on Christmas Day, sabotage company equipment/facilities, and not act like they live in a vacuum when discussing the need for concesions or health care/pension reform the public would overcome the "union thug" perception.

...And what exactly do you propose? How has playing nice worked out for everyone?

just your station?

Not sure.

On a related note, last night at work I received another email form our region's director that discussed the "brand." Those go out to all the stations he covers...

again, where did anyone other than you say to dismiss the survey?

You're going to need to show specifically where I said that. On the contrary, it was you who immediately tried to discredit it in the first response to this thread withyour "so what?" comments.

That's a pretty poor attempt at flipping from you. Looks like it was late when you wrote that though, so I'll give you a pass on it...