SWA adding 1000's of jobs at Denver DIA

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Always good to hear of growth. As mentioned Pilots and F/A's and of course mechanics once the new hangars are built and the new gates are done too. Southwest will more than likely get the majority of these new gates coming if not all of them. That could boost SWA flights to around 140-200 added flights easily. With DIA being a base for mechanics now they will have to add several mechanics once this huge project is completed. Average wages in the 120,000's a good fit for the Denver area.

Confirmed: Southwest Airlines to add more than 1,000 jobs at DIA

Reactions: xUT
Always good to hear of growth. As mentioned Pilots and F/A's and of course mechanics once the new hangars are built and the new gates are done too. Southwest will more than likely get the majority of these new gates coming if not all of them. That could boost SWA flights to around 140-200 added flights easily. With DIA being a base for mechanics now they will have to add several mechanics once this huge project is completed. Average wages in the 120,000's a good fit for the Denver area.

Confirmed: Southwest Airlines to add more than 1,000 jobs at DIA
Awesome!

Do u know bout when the new hangars at bwi will be open n how many planes itll handle?

Awesome!

Do u know bout when the new hangars at bwi will be open n how many planes itll handle?
Broke ground in 2019 with completion in 2021. The facility will have 3 seperate bays, but I'm told we could probably squeeze in or maybe even nose or tail in 5. In Dallas we modified all our hanger doors to accommodate 2 more aircraft nosed in or tailed in half way where the doors will close around the fuselages.
We have several new hangars going up right now or planned. BWI, HOU, DEN, LAS and a remodel in Florida somewhere and I believe one more hangar on the west coast. The biggest is in HOU where it will be a 6 bay hangar. SWA will be hiring several mechanics over the next few years as these hangars get done.
Another hangar rebuild was just completed in Dallas where our hangars #1 and 2 were damaged from the storms this past summer. Maint. at SWA will be booming for the next 3-5 years and all over the United States. More and more in house maint coming in the future at SWA and that is always great news.

Thx bro. Thats awesome. With more hiring wonder if SWA will bid to work some other air carriers
Seriously doubt that. With doubling our current number of maint hangars (from 6 now to 12 when all the hangars are complete) and with our fleet reaching 1000 as our CEO said he wanted, we will be busy enough.
Just glad we got our contract finally, and as promised by the co. the maint depts are growing rather quickly and adding the heads as promised too. Heck we are even adding maint heads in Dallas. We haven't seen that for quite some time. A big thx to Kinder for coming in and working directly with AMFA and getting it all done. He really has given the mechanics a boost in faith once again.

Great news! Maybe some of the AA guys on here will come over and give WN a shot.
AA fellas are welcome to come. They flooded in a while back after the BK filings and layoffs. Some had 16-20 something years at AA and pulled that trigger to come over. They were a bit curious once they got here as to how the co. was treating us in nego's as maybe they made a big mistake but now are glad they made the move. Well worth it. Just suks starting over, but, part of the bus...

DEN operation will be massive in DEN, just as Gary Kelly said it would be, once ALL those gates are up and running. I believe the phrase G K used was that DEN WILL BE....... " The CROWN JEWEL " of WN. Den sure as helll would take a huge load of congestion off of MDW, for flights connecting from the upper east coast to the west coast, and vise versa ! The #2 biggest hub will pale in comparison to DEN, largely due to the fact that DEN has something other airports would sell-their-eye-teeth for, THAT being many,many acres of available LAND !!!!

Reactions: swamt
Indeed Black Bear. As long as Den keeps their word on the taxes (which was a huge nego's factor before SWA would even fathom going back in there) then SWA will grow and expand greatly and will very well become the "crown jewel". I don't know all the ins and outs but SWA was leasing a hangar before, which I think we own now and there is another hangar getting built or added on to or something like that. With all the talks of new buildings and hangars going up around the system I am a little off on what is taking place in each city until more news is released. Just so glad we are expanding and growing once again and more so than we have in the past.

And here is a little more on the Denver expansion coming. SWA to get 16 new gates all to themselves as well as the new hangar we previously spoke of. New hangar at Den has not been given a final decision as of yet as far as the size. Typically SWA builds them 3 bays to hold up to 5 37's. But they are now pondering upgrading to a larger size for an even larger maint base. Could be 4-6 like the one on Hou. at 6 bays. When we get the final I will let ya know.
Average salaries will be 128K, that is just sweet.
Adding headcount as we speak. There will be several mechs added in Denver. They have been adding slowly in Denver this year but that will pick up once the hangars are built.
Below is a nice news video on the added 1,000's of jobs being added in Denver;

Southwest Airlines Receives Tax Credits For Denver Expansion ...

Good luck. Out of state candidates who can pass a drug test will have a leg up. Local hiring in DEN and a few other places where pot is legal has been problematic for some employers. Sure, pot is legal, but drug tests still continue to rule out candidates with THC and other substances in their bloodstream....

Agree with the legalization of weed there. But I feel the local existing workforce already employed by other airlines and other contractors that also drug test will have a bit more advantage than out of state folks. Previous experience will overrule some issues. There are a few smaller commuter airlines in Co. that may want to move on to better QOL and treatment by their employer, and I am including even the biggie airlines too.
And who knows, maybe, just maybe SWA might look at Frontier again as a merger partner in the future after investing so much in Denver, ya never know. The Frontier Pilots blew it big time back when SWA wanted to purchase Frontier. Just thinking out loud here E., I have heard of no such rumors or here say on this as of yet...

Flights from Denver to Steamboat seems a bit odd. There is only 1 ski resort to support that route--Steamboat Springs. Other airlines--such as AA--have non-stop flights from all over the U.S. to Steamboat during peak ski season. Having to change planes in Denver not necessary. Also, Eagle Airport (EGE) serves a lot more ski country--specifically Vail which is largest ski resort in Colorado.
Not judgin'. Just sayin'.