Teamsters filed at USAir for representation

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/19/teamsters-head-hoffa-tries-to-squash-his-own-employees-union/#ixzz2V6hyavb8

Reactions: 1 person
LOL... That's the most lame thing you could possibly do.
Horse whinny, is that it?
Is that your reamster projection on how to represent your members?
Is that what you say in negotiations?
I can't stop laughing... :p :p :p
LOL... :p
Am glad i put a smile on your face have a nice IBT day. :D

Is that the best you can do?

No wonder why your gonna fail, m&r very receptive to the IAM response!

Teamsters pension crisis sapping Hoffa’s support, power
Posted By Patrick Howley On 12:14 AM 04/18/2013 In Politics | No Comments

International Brotherhood of Teamsters general president Jimmy Hoffa Jr.’s response to his union’s pension crisis is sapping Hoffa’s support among Teamsters members, according to insiders.
The International Brotherhood of Teamsters is one of the forces lobbying Congress for legislation based on the National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans’ report “Solutions, Not Bailouts.” The report urges new congressional legislation to allow “deeply troubled” funds to cut employees’ pensions.

The Central States Pension Fund, which serves Teamsters members across the country and which also happens to be “deeply troubled,” has joined the Teamsters in lobbying for the new legislation. Insiders believe that the Fund plans to make across-the-board pension cuts.

The Teamsters’ unwillingness to allow companies to move Teamsters members out of the fund and into more secure retirement plans has enraged Teamsters members and sparked backlash against Hoffa.

“In that they’re calling for pension cuts, they’re on the wrong track,” Ken Paff, national organizer of the reform group Teamsters for a Democratic Union, told The Daily Caller.
Approximately 3,000 active and retired Teamsters convergedon their Kansas City union hall Tuesday to voice their displeasure with Hoffa and the Central States Pension Fund.

“It should be about solidarity. In my 32 years as a Teamster, we have stood up for each other. … We should be doing the same to defend the pensions of all Teamsters,” one retired Teamster told Central States Pension Fund official Al Nelson at the Kansas City event.

The Central States Pension Fund was founded by Hoffa’s father in 1964 and supports tens of thousands of Teamsters members in 29 states. The fund now collects roughly $700 million per year in employee contributions while paying out $2.8 billion in benefits.

“There is a reasonable possibility that this plan could run out of money in about a dozen years,” Central States Pension Fund executive director Thomas Nyhan recently admitted.
Every time a company withdraws from the fund, that company’s share of the total pension payouts must be picked up by the other companies in the fund, according to Central States guidelines. This arrangement causes considerable pressure when major companies choose to pull out of the fund.

UPS paid $6.1 billion to exit the fund in 2007. Hoffa allowed UPS to withdraw from the fund in exchange for a card check neutrality pledge allowing the Teamsters to organize UPS Freight, which became a division of UPS after the company purchased the freight shipper Overnight in 2006.

A Central States Pension Fund official later called Hoffa’s decision a “mistake” and said that the Fund, but not Hoffa, wanted to stop UPS from withdrawing.
Insiders believe that Hoffa’s inability to keep UPS in the fund began to turn the tide of popular sentiment against him. One insider referred to the withdrawal by UPS as “Hoffa’s Iraq” — a reference to President Bush’s disputed decision to remove Saddam Hussein.

Hostess Bakeries, which recently filed for bankruptcy, can no longer pay into the fund, adding more pressure on other companies still paying into the fund.
Republic Services/Allied Waste, a waste management company, is now rumored to be mulling an exit from the fund. The company has already proposed that its garbage truck drivers leave the fund and move into the same 401(k) retirement plan as Republic Services management.

In response, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters launched a strike this month involving 106 Republic Services/Allied Waste Teamsters in Youngstown, Ohio. Though the Youngstown strike is now in its third week, nationwide enthusiasm for the strike among Teamsters members has been low.
Hastily assembled “sympathy strikes” by other Republic Services Teamsters outside Youngstown have been shortlived.

“The real reason for these pickets is to harass Republic into staying in the dying Central States Pension Fund,” a Republican Services official said Tuesday.

More than 150 Republic Services Teamsters broke with Teamsters leadership and crossed picket lines Tuesday to return to work in Ohio and Tennessee, expressing a lack of enthusiasm for the Youngstown cause and also dissatisfaction with Hoffa’s policies.

“Trash collection resumed in Toledo today — one day after Teamsters Local 20 delayed trash pickup by participating in a sympathy strike for workers in Youngstown. About 30-35 drivers crossed the picket line early today, allowing Republic Services to cover all commercial routes in northwest Ohio and more than half of the residential routes,” according to a statement by a Republic Services official.

A spokesman for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters declined to comment.

IS this the UNION many of you want to bring to AA?

Do You want our pension to be added to the IBT Pension plans?

Whoever wins this election, let's hope that the US AIRWAYS MX get additional retirement funds negotiated in something other than the Teamsters or IAM pension funds. 3 prong is always best, i.e., SS, defined benefit, 401k match. The IAM has reduced future benefits twice on actives. Now it looks like the IBT central fund wants to reduce 'current' benefits. No matter which union wins, any NC will need to figure out what is best for the members. If the IBT wins, then maybe there are some IBT pension that are more secure. If the IAM wins then maybe, if they insist on not putting money into a 401k, that retirement can get a bigger bump up. What's wrong with considering the IAM 410k contribution plan? regards,

Ask yourself how the IAM pension fund is compared to the IBT pension funds.
That alone should make you avoid voting for the Teamsters.
Guys a merger will be here soon. We all agree we need a union for AMT's and not another industrial union like the IBT, IAM and the TWU.

Vote AMFA when you get your ballot on the Write In option. It is allowed by the NMB and it is your right to chose other than what is printed on the ballot.
We at AA are getting the Write In Campaign going if an election should be called.
Our Write In will be AMFA. Lets try to get the same union that better represents the skilled workers in our craft. Our dues money will stay with us. We do not have to worry about our money funding other work groups and paying triple digit salaries to the International officers of the IAM, IBT and the TWU.

Please take the time to read the manual
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/representation-manual.pdf

At least look at section 13 and 14. It goes into detail on the voting procedures either paper ballot or electronic voting. It explains the WRITE-IN option in detail.
It is a no brainer if you want AMFA to be your union.

VOTE AMFA!!!

The IAM pension fund has not reduced for mechanic and related not one cent, I think its an $86 a month multiplier, I know its at least $81.

Mechanics for Change
UAL Mechanics Class and Craft
Providing a Democratic Voice for the UAL Mechanics and Related Class and Craft
Teamsters Broken Promises

Continental Mechanics Contract Betrayal 2005

In 2005 Continental Airlines was in concessionary contract negotiations with all its unions.
During the Teamsters mechanic contract negotiations the IBT entered into a stipulation
agreement that mechanics would enter into a concessionary agreement only if all other unions also accepted contract concessions. The mechanics ratified the contract with this condition in place for protection. If any union refused concessions the IBT mechanics concessionary agreement would be null and void.

During negotiations the IAM Continental flight attendants refused to grant concessions to
Continental management.

The IBT mechanic negotiating committee was betrayed and discovered only after ratification
that Teamster union leadership had forced concessions on the mechanics in violation of their written Tentative Agreement.

IBT Chief Steward and Negotiator – Writes an email blasting the Teamsters union leadership for betraying the Continental mechanics and the negotiating committee.
IBT Airline Division Coordinator Don Triechler along with IBT legal council violated the
written agreement and forced the Continental Teamster mechanics to accept concessions and then he pleads with the Continental membership for understanding.
Read IBT Betrays Continental Negotiating Committee 2005 at mechanicsforchange.com.
DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN WITH YOUR CONTRACT AT UNITED.

Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:19 PM
Subject: Ratified Agreement
All,
It is with great regret that I must write this letter.

As your Chief Steward and member of the Negotiating Committee we put together a T/A with a contingency clause that we would agree to concessions as long as all the other workgroups agreed to theirs.

There was a waiver to that contingency clause proposed to us by the company
in the final days of negotiations. That waiver is in the LOA covering the contingency. The premise was, the company did not want to see the whole deal be defeated should one of the two smaller ( Dispatchers, Flight Simulator) groups not ratify their agreements. It was our understanding that we would not ratify if the bigger (Pilots, Flight Attendants) groups failed to ratify.

At the very least, should one of those groups have not ratified (like the F/A's did not) it would have prompted some discussion as to whether or not we would still want to exercise that waiver, and how we should proceed.

When I awoke this morning and checked my email I saw "Company Bulletin #10". After reading it and realizing that we had exercised that waiver, I was in disbelief. I did not have any e-mail's or phone calls from the IBT to support what I had read in the bulletin. When I checked the IBT website all I found was an announcement from yesterday afternoon that we had ratified our agreement, and in that announcement I also saw that it stated the duration was until March 1, 2009. It's no coincidence that I did not show up at work today until 0845 today. There was no way I could walk into there and expect you to believe me when I had to tell you "I did not know anything about it" If I were you, it would only leave me wondering "what else is he lying to me about".

As I sit here today (Thursday evening) writing this letter there is still nothing on the
IBT website to confirm the IBT has granted the waiver nor clarification on the duration. For all I know he may have agreed to change that also. When we finally got a hold of Don today his explanation was that he did it to protect the strike price for the stock options. Guy's I'm sure you all understand the stock options are no great selling piece. The options that each of you will CAL IBT Chief Steward email -

Betrayed by IBT Airline Director The truth of the matter is, Don Treichler (Airline Director) made the decision on his own to grant the waiver. receive are anywhere from a new hire getting around 56 to a toped out guy getting around 190. At no time has anyone from our group here in CLE shown any great concern over even how many shares they would be getting. I'm sure that's in part, that you all understand how worthless they
really are. I was also told that we (the negotiating committee) don't know what we negotiated in relation to that waiver. That coming from a man that never sit in for one minute of any of our negotiations.

As far as the duration thing goes, I bashed Don when the ballots went out with the
cover sheet that reflected the March 2009 date. His excuse then was that the sheet was provided to him from Steve Greenwell and because of the last minute change by the pilots and our "me too clause" ours changed and he did not have time to correct it, as they had already begun making up the packages that were sent out. He said as long as we were telling everyone of the December 2008 duration that would be alright. When I read the posting on the IBT website from yesterday and it reflects a March 2009 duration I am lead to believe something has changed or he really doesn't have a clue. Personally I tend to believe the latter. I wonder what his excuse will be this time.

Having put forth so much time and effort into tiring to achieve what I feel is the fairest, least
painful, necessary thing that we as an organization and us as a company must do to survive
these turbulent times that our industry is facing, I am disheartened as to how it ended. Not that granting the waiver was necessarily the wrong thing to do, but the way it went about and the lack of communication from the Airline Director, that it was done. The negotiating committee and the business agents have been hammering on Don all day. The
phone number for the Don's office is (310) 645-9860. The phone number for the International is (202) 624-6800, ask for Hoffa or Keegel.

On behalf of the entire Negotiating Committee and Business Agents, I would like to extend my apologies for the way this all played out. Please take the time to call or write the International to express your opinions as I assure you, I will.

The address for the International is:
International Brotherhood of Teamsters
25 Louisiana Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Mike Meglich
P.S. I have a scheduled day off tomorrow (Friday), I'm done avoiding you.
CAL IBT Chief Steward email -

Betrayed by IBT Airline Director

Then to be belittled by the airline director that we (the negotiating committee) didn't know what we negotiated was a total insult.

That coming from the man who still probably doesn't know the correct duration of our agreement.

The IAM representatives have been hitting my station pretty had the past few weeks, seen more and have had more mailing from them the past 6 months than the previous 25 years? Last week the group included and individual from the international, forgive me because I did not get his name....when questioned he told us he was assigned 7 stations, questioned came up as to why this was his FIRST visit to ours which is one of the larger ones in the U system?

They were peppered with questions and every response involved "but you have a pension"....and that seemed about it?? Sorry but I believe the IBT is trying to step up to the plate and do something the IAM was supposed to be doing the past several years working for the membership and getting us a decent contract.

Latest posts