Temporary Fleet Service Clerk Holiday Help

Rogallo

Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Haven't ever heard of this. Is it new, or has it been done before?

Date:
Oct 25, 2018
Req ID: 23638

Additional Locations: None
Requisition ID: 23638

Overview

This is a temporary position and the duration will not exceed 45 days. Successful candidates will work at MIA.

Temporary Fleet Service Clerks load baggage onto and off of aircraft, and/or move baggage to and from the bag room. Due to flight operations, Temporary Fleet Service Clerks may be scheduled to work irregular and/or extended hours, weekends and holidays.

Qualifications

• High school diploma or GED or international equivalent
  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Must be able to secure appropriate airport authority and/or US Customs security badges, if applicable

Nearest Major Market: Miami
Job Segment: Transportation, Clerical, Operations, Administrative, Aviation

Date:
Oct 25, 2018

Overview

This is a temporary position and the duration will not exceed 45 days. Successful candidates will work at MIA.

Temporary Fleet Service Clerks load baggage onto and off of aircraft, and/or move baggage to and from the bag room. Due to flight operations, Temporary Fleet Service Clerks may be scheduled to work irregular and/or extended hours, weekends and holidays.

Qualifications

• Must be able to secure appropriate airport authority and/or US Customs security badges, if applicable

8B02DA44-8989-409C-AD97-E0C4E6F53AC6.png

Ok, it is in the contract. Thank you.

Has it been common practice to do this in fleet?

Please excuse my ignorance!

Of course and thank you for the professional courtesy.

I believe it goes back to even before I hired on in 1995. If AANOTOK is reading he may be able to confirm it existing even longer?

BTW where did you find the posting? AA Careers?

prior to 9-11, we hired temps every nov. for holiday mail volume.

since 9-11 and subsequent growth of RJ service, i haven't seen temps.

sounds like they are needed from nov. 17 - dec 30. expecting the busiest holiday season ever.

Of course and thank you for the professional courtesy.

I believe it goes back to even before I hired on in 1995. If AANOTOK is reading he may be able to confirm it existing even longer?

BTW where did you find the posting? AA Careers?

Yes, jobs.aa.com.

prior to 9-11, we hired temps every nov. for holiday mail volume.

since 9-11 and subsequent growth of RJ service, i haven't seen temps.

sounds like they are needed from nov. 17 - dec 30. expecting the busiest holiday season ever.

Yup, that's why I asked. I didn't know it was done.

well, since aa has gone RJ, i know it's not for mail.

shaping up to be to be busiest holiday passenger traffic ever.

There are 58 requisitions for Fleet system-wide..

I just looked at AA Careers and the posting states the only offerings for Temporary help are here in MIA.

Are you saying instead that they are wanting 58 individuals for the position?

Ok this is what’s come back to me but it’s all hearsay.

Supposedly the Company wants the Temp help system wide cause their numbers last Holliday season were terrible.

They want 45 people here in MIA but so far have only been able to scrounge up 25 takers. And also supposedly we’re 80 heads short here?

Ok this is what’s come back to me but it’s all hearsay.

Supposedly the Company wants the Temp help system wide cause their numbers last Holliday season were terrible.

They want 45 people here in MIA but so far have only been able to scrounge up 25 takers. And also supposedly we’re 80 heads short here?
For all practical purposes a national unemployment rate of 4% is full employment. That 4% unemployed are the unemployable--people who (due to lack of education, training and/or physical capability or other handicap) do not fit any employer's requirements. We don't need to shut off immigration. We need to increase it. The labor problem in this country is not due to the closing of heavy industry, it's due to the lack of people available to do the work.

One of my 5 careers was working at Texas Employment Commission (now called the Texas Workforce Commission) helping people find jobs. This was in the 1970s. Houston and Dallas were growing so fast then that we "ran out of bodies" to send out on job interviews. The official unemployment rate was below 5%. What was left over was people who needed extensive training and/or education to do any job other than basic menial work--janitor, maid, etc. We had a job listing for a company janitor. The job involved basic maintenance (replacing burned out light bulbs, etc) in addition to cleaning duties. The people willing to do the job were illiterate and unable to fill out the minimal paperwork the employer needed to account for building maintenance expenses.

Fleet clerk--temporary or permanent--is hard work. Good luck finding people who will take the job AND stay--particularly since the employment premise is that you will work Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, and come January 1st, your unemployed again.

Date:
Oct 25, 2018

Overview

Qualifications

This has definitely been done before. I was hired as temporary help at LAX for the holidays in 1987 for the 45 days. I was then offered part-time permanent employment the following March and went on to work 25 years as an FSC, retiring out of SJC in the buyout when they tossed the TWU out in 2012. Those 45 days never counted towards my seniority.