Terror plot in Canada targeted railroad bridge at Niagra Falls

snapthis

Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
RCMP thwart 'major terrorist attack' in Canada

REUTERS

FIRST POSTED: MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2013 02:03 PM EDT | UPDATED: MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2013 03:04 PM EDT

TORONTO - A potential bomb plot on a passenger train over the Niagara River has been averted, a police source says.

While officials have not confirmed the train bombing plan, the RCMP are holding a news conference at 3:30 p.m. Monday to outline details of the arrest of what they say was a planned terror plot.

One police source said there were several scenarios being looked at during the year the suspects were tracked, including the train plot.

One of the plots uncovered by the RCMP and other agencies was a planned bombing of a passenger train on the bridge that connects Canada and the United States at Niagara Falls, a police source says.

“The plan was to take out a train with passengers on board and the crossing trestle,” said a source. “It was meant to be spectacular and there would have been a lot of carnage.”

The source was not clear of the planned date.

“It didn’t happen,” said the source. “It was stopped.”

The source said he believes five people will be arrested and the investigation continues.

“There is an Ontario component and a Quebec component.”

As for who was behind the terror plot, the source did not confirm al-Qaida, as some are reporting.

“I can tell you it’s the big boys,” he said. “I can tell you it’s heavy stuff.”

U.S. officials said the alleged plot was not linked with last week’s Boston Marathon bombings.

The arrests follow not only the Boston bombings but revelations that Canadians took part in an attack by militants on a gas plant in Algeria in January.

It also recalls the arrests in 2006 of a group of more than a dozen Toronto-area men accused of planning to plant bombs at various Canadian targets.

Video of news conference:

http://m.citynews.ca/2013/04/22/rcmp-confirm-2-arrests-in-alleged-via-rail-train-terror-plot/

Let me guess. A white conservative male, committing the act, in the name of Jesus !

Some people will be disappointed. They were not from Alabama.

Analysts surprised by alleged Al Qaeda in Iran tie in Canada plot

Assistant Commissioner James Malizia of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police announces the arrest Monday of two men suspected in an alleged plot to derail a passenger train.
BY EMILY ALPERT
April 22, 2013, 6:40 p.m.
Police in Canada said Monday that two men suspected of plotting to derail a passenger train were guided by Al Qaeda elements in Iran, but the statement surprised many experts who study terrorism in the Middle East and Iran.

“It frankly doesn’t compute for me,” said Barbara Slavin, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council. "If there is any link, I would think it was extremely tangential."

Iran and Al Qaeda have frequently had chilly relations, according to Slavin and other experts. Iran is majority Shiite, while Al Qaeda is firmly Sunni. In Syria, Al Qaeda has jumped into the fray alongside opposition fighters while Iran has backed President Bashar Assad. Iran has also held Al Qaeda members in the country under house arrest, monitoring their activities. Documents confiscated from Osama bin Laden's hide-out in Pakistan and released last year suggested discord between the two.

Canadian police said there was no reason to believe that the plotted attacks were sponsored by any state, which would mean the Iranian government was not involved. Police provided no further details regarding the alleged involvement of Al Qaeda elements in Iran in the plot.

Even if Iran and Al Qaeda share some of the same enemies, “it’s not like Iranians are going to allow a Sunni terrorist group to plan an attack that might result in more hostilities against the Shiite nation of Iran,” said Rick “Ozzie” Nelson, a former U.S. counter-terrorism official and a senior affiliate at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. “There’s no love lost between them.”

If Al Qaeda members detained in Iran were able to continue orchestrating attacks, that could mean members of the terrorist group have more freedom there than previously believed, Nelson said. That might mean they were able to plot an attack without being detected by Iranian authorities.

The question could be, "How much of this was them just not paying attention?" Nelson said.

Not everyone has been skeptical of the idea that Iran and Al Qaeda could team up, however. “Iran appears willing to expand its limited relationship with Al Qaeda,” Rand Corp. senior political scientist Seth G. Jones wrote in Foreign Affairs magazine last year. Al Qaeda would probably reject any direction from Iran, he wrote, but “any support or tentative permission to plot on Iran’s soil would be helpful.”
The U.S. Treasury Department said in October that Iran has allowed Al Qaeda to operate a pipeline moving money and fighters to support Al Qaeda activities in South Asia. While Sunni extremists often consider Shiites to be “heretics,” some Shiite extremists have tried to forge alliances, said Jeffrey M. Bale, a senior researcher at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Al Qaeda members are believed to have gotten training from Iranian-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon in the past.

Turns out a Imam turned in the suspects. Did not want the south corrupted by extremists. Go figure, a good Muslim.

Sorry NHB. Did not see your post.

Reactions: 1 person
Again, never said "ALL" Muslims were out to get us !

But, I will use this equation.............Maybe 10% of Muslims hate any religion, other than theirs but 98% of terrorist acts, are committed by Muslims.....................prove me wrong..................NEXT !

They were RATTED-OUT by 'tips from the Toronto Muslim community !

(Sorry to disappoint you with this very important piece-of-the-puzzle...........Bird Brain) !!

Now,.........'Get BACK in your CAGE' !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to disappoint you, that the culprits were not White, Male, Conservative, Christians............................DOLT!

98% of terrorist acts, are committed by Muslims.....................prove me wrong..................NEXT !

Not in the United States, Doorknob

Al Qaeda/jihadist 4 fatal terrorist attacks in the United States 9/11, 17 deaths. Add 1 and 3 for the Boston marathon.

Right-wing extremists 9 fatal terrorist attacks in the United States, 15 deaths.

By Iran do they mean the Iran-sponsored terrorist group, Hezbollah, or as I call them Hezbullshiite? Funny how the world stage is currently revolving around the Axis-Of-Evil. Syria is in on it, too, one way or another. So this must be Bush's fault.

Not in the United States, Doorknob

Al Qaeda/jihadist 4 fatal terrorist attacks in the United States 9/11, 17 deaths. Add 1 and 3 for the Boston marathon.

Right-wing extremists 9 fatal terrorist attacks in the United States, 15 deaths.

If you go back to '95 you can add in the OKC bombing.

Reactions: 1 person