The Coyote "May Re bid"

To clarify I don't believe the line should get a premium. They are hired to do a job and they have options if they rather work at the base. I spent 12 years at that base. I have seen you guys completely refurbish an aircraft over and over again. I think you do fine work.

If I don't believe the line deserves premium pay I certainly don't think the base does just because their days off change. I understand your point I just don't agree with it. The company dictates the schedule. You have known that your whole career.

That being said I can see no good reason for implementing a policy that appears to have little to no benefit that will negatively impact the lives of employees and their families. Remember my wife works for the base so this impacts my family and standard of living to. I am just as upset about this as anyone else.
Again what you think is irrelevant because it's what the union negotiates for you. Fair or not, deserving or not that's the way it is.

Alright. Why?

Seriously. I am not a mechanic so I don't know of such things. Tell me why you deserve a line premium. What about your job makes it worth more compensation than a base mechanic?
Because on the line you have to deal with flight crews, flight attendants, passengers, ramp and CSM antics for one, while attempting to get a flight out while being second guessed by knuckle head supervisors and managers. You have variable lunch times and breaks. May not seem like much to you, I'm sure.

In AO you pretty much have a set schedule or pace unless you're on a drop-in line. A lot like a factory work environment. I worked in T town for 13 years in the hangars before coming to the line. Night and day difference. At the end of the day, maintenance is maintenance, but there is a difference between AO and Line, and the unions have recognized it over the years.

La Lo I'm sure will have a rebuttal.

Reactions: swamt
And to top that off you've got a double brake change out on the ramp on midnights in a blizzard in Chicago.

But hey, you can always uproot your family and move to Tulsa if you don't like it.

To add to the reasons. If you get a gate call, you're the difference in having a flight having an on time departure and a delay, affecting peoples schedules and connections. Overhaul doesn't have live flights that affect revenue.

Because on the line you have to deal with flight crews, flight attendants, passengers, ramp and CSM antics for one, while attempting to get a flight out while being second guessed by knuckle head supervisors and managers. You have variable lunch times and breaks. May not seem like much to you, I'm sure.

In AO you pretty much have a set schedule or pace unless you're on a drop-in line. A lot like a factory work environment. I worked in T town for 13 years in the hangars before coming to the line. Night and day difference. At the end of the day, maintenance is maintenance, but there is a difference between AO and Line, and the unions have recognized it over the years.

La Lo I'm sure will have a rebuttal.
No rebuttal other than I can't comprehend why someone would be paid a premium simply for doing their job.

Well, La Li, apparently you're unable to be convinced. Those are three good responses as to why line deserves a premium.

They're not "just doing their job" -- they're doing it under time pressure and in most cases, outside regardless of the hour of day or the elements.

I don't have any problem with a line premium any more I do for getting a shift differential for working midnights. The guys working in hangars and climate controlled backshops simply aren't under the same pressure or expectations.

Reactions: Slopoke
No rebuttal other than I can't comprehend why someone would be paid a premium simply for doing their job.

E is correct all reasons above are very good reasons. The biggest IMO is the "pressure" to get it done in time for revenue service, and yes the elements suck to work in especially up north (I myself could not imagine being outside @ midnight to AM doing double brakes and an APU change in 20-35 mph winds while snowing extremely hard with wet snow.
The hangar guys are spoiled with climate controlled hangars, shops and maint bays under the roofs. the biggest hazzard working in the hangars are having to work next to someone with Justin Beavers music blasting loudly...

Adding: Line guys are signing off the Aircraft's log book several times per day. Hangar guys don't and they also have the full check to change or fix any paperwork misprints and goofs. Logbooks are less friendly once they are signed and logged electronically...

Last edited:
Fair enough, but not being in maintenance is maybe why you can't see the difference. You came from fleet back in the day, correct?

This is just another reason why we in maintenance, need to break away to a class and craft union. They can see and comprehend the differences.

Fair enough, but not being in maintenance is maybe why you can't see the difference. You came from fleet back in the day, correct?
That is correct.

This is just another reason why we in maintenance, need to break away to a class and craft union. They can see and comprehend the differences.
Seeing how the TWU has a line premium it would appear they can see and comprehend the differences as well.

I guess my perspective is different. I am of the school of thought that I am being paid for my time and expertise not my labor. I am given a task and regardless of circumstances I do my best to accomplish the task. I mean there are times you have nothing to do and you sit on your butt for hours right? You still expect to get paid. There are times I work 0 minutes out of a 10 hour shift (nothing scheduled) but I still expect to be paid for my time just like I would if I work 10 hours straight with no break (which I have done).

Part of my perspective may come from the fact my grandfather was a drill sergeant during the Korean War. He had a real "do it now, whine about it later" kind of attitude and my father had the same mentality as do I. In the military you are told to do something and you do it, period.

I guess my attitude for shift differential is different because my natural "sleep" time is more valuable to me then my natural "wake" time. Also it has been proven that people that work night shift tend to have shorter life spans. Since I am in essence selling time, the law of supply and demand come into play. My time (life) is statistically shortened (supply) so I "demand" more compensation my time.

Anyway maybe that will help some of you understand my perspective a bit better.

really couldn't care less about your perspective on how and why i do my job, when admittedly you have no idea what we do.

really couldn't care less about your perspective on how and why i do my job, when admittedly you have no idea what we do.

Couldn't have said it better, maybe this will kill the back and forth on lic prem for line.
Now back on topic:
Anyone heard how the asso. is going to fight what the company is allowed to do?
Just FYI; my airline tried the same thing years back to get more coverage on the weekends, didn't last long at all as moral went down the tubes, so they ended up changing it again back to higher % off on weekends and part weekends and finally broke down and hired the extra folks required to cover the weekends and schedules.
Although we did not return to the full blown weekends off we had before but most that were required to work the weekends were fairly young in years 1-10 and SWA changed the graveyard schedules to 10 hour, 4 days a week with all graveyard workers getting paid lunches. The 3 days off were more desired along with the paid lunches as well as an increase in eve and grave shift premium.
Does the asso. even have a fighting for the new schedule the co. is going to start???
The grievance may get thrown out as most companies already have in their language that they have full control of schedules, shifts and times unless covered by the contract with specifics...
If the verbiage says as such, expect the typical asso. phrase of "THEY CAN DO THAT BROTHER" ; "IT'S IN THE CONTRACT"
Hopefully no longer will you guys hear all the excuses from this asso. and get "RESULTS" from the NEW representation :)

Reactions: richardhead
I have no idea what you do?

I spent 12 years working shoulder to shoulder with mechanics at a maintenance base. Believe me, I have an idea what you do.

Just because I don't have a license does not mean I don't have eyes.

Couldn't have said it better, maybe this will kill the back and forth on lic prem for line.
Now back on topic:
Anyone heard how the asso. is going to fight what the company is allowed to do?
Just FYI; my airline tried the same thing years back to get more coverage on the weekends, didn't last long at all as moral went down the tubes, so they ended up changing it again back to higher % off on weekends and part weekends and finally broke down and hired the extra folks required to cover the weekends and schedules.
Although we did not return to the full blown weekends off we had before but most that were required to work the weekends were fairly young in years 1-10 and SWA changed the graveyard schedules to 10 hour, 4 days a week with all graveyard workers getting paid lunches. The 3 days off were more desired along with the paid lunches as well as an increase in eve and grave shift premium.
Does the asso. even have a fighting for the new schedule the co. is going to start???
The grievance may get thrown out as most companies already have in their language that they have full control of schedules, shifts and times unless covered by the contract with specifics...
If the verbiage says as such, expect the typical asso. phrase of "THEY CAN DO THAT BROTHER" ; "IT'S IN THE CONTRACT"
Hopefully no longer will you guys hear all the excuses from this asso. and get "RESULTS" from the NEW representation :)
You know it is possible this whole thing is a dog and pony show so that the Association can get a "win".

Ive worked 20 years at overhaul and 10 years on the line. No comparison on the jobs. Appels to oranges, a lot of guys cant take the pressure of working a live flights, in any weather at any time. No your shoulder to shoulder observation is nothing. You have no idea what your talking about. Again.