The GOP's New Strategy

Oct 30, 2006
In a Thursday conference call with lawmakers and campaign strategists, National Republican Congressional Committee Chair Tom Cole argued candidates should steer clear of the party’s summer convention in Minneapolis, calling it a “waste of time†in a tough year when every day on the campaign trail counts.

Moreover, he urged Republican lawmakers to feel free to criticize the party – including prospective future colleagues, citing dismal congressional approval ratings. “These ratings are worse than we had on the eve of losing the majority,†he said. “Don’t be afraid to say you are disappointed in fellow Republicans… don’t hesitate to be anti-Washington, D.C.’â€

Criticize your colleagues

A Good/Informative article...Lily. :up:

HEY......fellow "Coolers",

Lets do an "interesting" exercise here, on the GOP, as they prepare to criticize fellow REPUG's.

I say, they'll CRITICIZE..........Larry..(the Toe Tapper).. Craig,.....BEFORE they "bad mouth"..TED(I just got nailed with "7" FELONY COUNTS)..Stevens !

C'mon now,....everybody "chime in"

"Who wants to go First" ?

"Delldude" ?

"Tuggo" ?

Just because some hammer head says they should does not mean that they will. I fail to see how beating up on each other would help further their cause. Although having said that, this is politics and they are politicians so logic will probably play little if any part in the decision making process.

Just because some hammer head says they should does not mean that they will. I fail to see how beating up on each other would help further their cause. Although having said that, this is politics and they are politicians so logic will probably play little if any part in the decision making process.

Well, despite him being a "hammer head," they are indeed.

Another Senate Republican is officially skipping the party's national convention next month, the latest sign vulnerable Republicans may be wary of linking themselves to the GOP brand this election cycle....

Pat Roberts, the two-term senator from Kansas who finds himself in a closer re-election bid than initially expected, won't be on hand to see Sen. John McCain accept the Republican presidential nomination in Minneapolis, his spokesman Molly Haase confirmed to CNN.

Roberts joins a handful of vulnerable Senate Republicans who have flatly said they will not attend the convention, including Susan Collins of Maine, Gordon Smith of Oregon, Ted Stevens of Alaska, and Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina

Repubs skipping the convention

I thought I read that Sen Check Hagle will not endorse McCain or any candidate. Supposedly he is on the possible short list as a possible VP for Obama. It's like watching rats jumping off a sinking ship.

I thought I read that Sen Check Hagle will not endorse McCain or any candidate. Supposedly he is on the possible short list as a possible VP for Obama. It's like watching rats jumping off a sinking ship.

Yep. He has been on the very short list since early June... atleast that is when i first noticed and posted it. In July, he even traveled to the Middle East for Obama.

And now there is word that powell may endorse Obama...

Yep. He has been on the very short list since early June... atleast that is when i first noticed and posted it. In July, he even traveled to the Middle East for Obama.

And now there is word that powell may endorse Obama...
Bill Kristol of the Weekly Standard declared that former SoS Powell was set to endorse Senator Barack Obama, and that he would speak at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

“Turns out…. Kristol got played by an Obama campaign staffer. And, in case you are into reading the tea leaves - here is Powell’s statement, where he blames Kristol - not the Obama campaign leakâ€￾

http://medializzy.wordpress.com/2008/08/13...a-speak-at-dnc/

Powell’s response came via ABC News:

“I do not have time to waste on Bill Kristol’s musings, I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear.â€￾

“After telling ABC News by phone that he would not be going to the Democratic National Convention, Powell ended the conversation without entertaining any follow-up questions as to whether he would be crossing party lines to endorse Obama.â€￾

Bill Kristol of the Weekly Standard declared that former SoS Powell was set to endorse Senator Barack Obama, and that he would speak at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

“Turns out…. Kristol got played by an Obama campaign staffer. And, in case you are into reading the tea leaves - here is Powell’s statement, where he blames Kristol - not the Obama campaign leakâ€

http://medializzy.wordpress.com/2008/08/13...a-speak-at-dnc/

Powell’s response came via ABC News:

“I do not have time to waste on Bill Kristol’s musings, I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear.â€

“After telling ABC News by phone that he would not be going to the Democratic National Convention, Powell ended the conversation without entertaining any follow-up questions as to whether he would be crossing party lines to endorse Obama.â€

No doubt that he was played regarding the convention; but Powell is still leaving open the idea of supporting Obama. In short time, we will know.

I still fall back though on Powell's rhetoric that I noticed and posted in another thread in February:

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says, "I will vote for the candidate I think can do the best job for America, whether that candidate is a Republican, a Democrat, or an Independent." He then praises Obama for energy and says he is definitely worth listening to.

Sounds like he was laying the groundwork for something... I would venture a guess that the "something" is not McCain.

Latest posts