The new Northwest...named "Delta"

Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Visit site
The new Northwest...errrr, excuse me "Delta" senior management.

Richard Anderson, CEO - Delta Air Lines (FORMER NWA)
Ed Bastian, President and CFO -
Mike Becker, EVP, Chief Operating Officer - NWA (FORMER NWA)
Mike Campbell, EVP - HR, Labor & Communications
Steve Gorman, EVP - Operations (FORMER NWA)
Glen Hauenstein, EVP - Revenue & Network
Ben Hirst, SVP - General Counsel (FORMER NWA)
Laura Liu, SVP - International (FORMER NWA)
Theresa Wise, SVP - Chief Information Officer (FORMER NWA)

Northwest just took control of Delta. You folks are in for a rude awakening. Northwest has a new name, larger Euro Div, S.A., and a warmer HQ.

That is IF...this goes through.

Northwest just took control of Delta. You folks are in for a rude awakening. Northwest has a new name, larger Euro Div, S.A., and a warmer HQ.

Hi NxNW-
That's what the 40% of us who voted YES were trying to impart on the others...that's it's not "your mamma's Delta" anymore. Not that I think AFA is without its own faults. It has plenty, and ultimately, I would prefer it if we had our own, STRONG, independent union like AA ..but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, if ever.
It's just if you believe in a system of checks and balances in an unprecedented time such as this, then you will vote in the next election.
If you're confident that it will be business as usual in all areas..that this new "NW" mgt team will act in accordance with Delta's "guiding principles", then you should not vote.
It's like the bulls and bears in finance. If you're a bear (in this market), you'll want to diversify, ensure that you don't have over 100k in any one financial institution (IndyMac and now possibly WaMu folding). However, if you're a bull, you'll ride out the storm and hope your funds will at the very least remain at the level they were when you invested.
The way things are going today...I'm a bear.

An finally, NxNW, I think "acceptance" is in order, don't you?? This thing is going through...I see nothing to the contrary. We're all just one shoe-drop away from real trouble. I don't think Justice will be getting into the weeds too much on this one when they know we're all just trying to survive.

Hi Luke,

I hope there are no hard feelings from the AFA vote. If you remember I am pro union but was not in agreement with some of AFA's policies. This next go around I am quite sure I will vote for a union. I would rather us create our own in house union since we will be the largest airline in the world, I think there could be a lot of merrit in having our own union who would be concerned with just our issues. If that is not possible I will most likely support AFA. I look forward to working with all NWA f/a's.

Luke....

Yours is a voice many at the "old" Delta should have/should heed. This announcement today was the funeral of the "old" Delta, one can only hope the "old" NW as well, but with this group in charge, that is highly unlikely...esp. with the likes of Rat Face sitting on the BOD.

Their past performance at NWA over the last 17 years is most likely a harbinger of things to come. It will hit old Delta folks VERY HARD...cause there is NOTHING warm and fuzzy about this gang. The word "family" is fighting words to them, and they come to the table with Brass knuckles on. You are a necessary SLAVE to them...nothing more. And even that won't be the case if they can find a way to replace you with Foreign outsourcing...i.e. FAs, Mechanics, ground...and IF they can hire foreign pilots like BA with "Open Skies"...well, they won't be so special either.

The only thing they understand is STRENGTH...as in numbers.

That's the reality of their past actions.

If you are a share holder of either Delta or nwa, you have a chance to vote in September for the merger....I would suggest if you oppose it, that you pass the word .......by the way...I have a couple hundred shares of nwa stock...I will be voting "NO"....

I noticed Ed Bastain is listed as president and CEO NWA as well as CFO of Delta. Is Steenland out starting today? When does this take effect?

I am willing to at least give this team a chance at being the best in the airline industry. Sounds to me as if some don't trust any of the exNWA senior management. Was Mr. Anderson that bad a leader? Can someone list the names on the management team who were horrible and what they did wrong? In this economy, what would some of the masterminds/genious people in this forum do differently?

I have to say I like the way Delta is doing something different in the industry. We have elected to merge as a proactive participant as opposed to sit and wait to see who fails first. I am bullish!! If we fail, it won't be from a lack of trying different tactics.

Richard Anderson, CEO - Delta Air Lines (FORMER NWA)
Ed Bastian, President and CFO -
Mike Becker, EVP, Chief Operating Officer - NWA (FORMER NWA)
Mike Campbell, EVP - HR, Labor & Communications
Steve Gorman, EVP - Operations (FORMER NWA)
Glen Hauenstein, EVP - Revenue & Network
Ben Hirst, SVP - General Counsel (FORMER NWA)
Laura Liu, SVP - International (FORMER NWA)
Theresa Wise, SVP - Chief Information Officer (FORMER NWA)

You are correct. Today was the unvailing of what the strategy has been all along; cut the head off of Delta and put the NW managament head on while hoping nobody notices.

You are correct. Today was the unvailing of what the strategy has been all along; cut the head off of Delta and put the NW managament head on while hoping nobody notices.

You really flatter your self by thinking that it is NWA taking over DAL. There are still quite a few DAL leaders and it really doesnt even matter. It is a new company and we should wait and see before we condem them. I do believe there is a strategy that the new management team has in mind however I will wait and see before I lash out at them. By creating the largest airline in the world hopefully will allow Delta to opperate from a position of strength in the market place. If Delta can do this they probably will not come back to the employees for more concessions.

Yes. Definitely a conspiracy here. If you look more closely at the resumes, some of them have AA and CO experience. IMHO, this is a plot by Bob Crandall and Gordon Bethune to take over the world using their proxies. :shock:

:shock: :shock: Mwa Ha Ha Ha HA ha Ha. :shock: :shock:

Yes. Definitely a conspiracy here. If you look more closely at the resumes, some of them have AA and CO experience. IMHO, this is a plot by Bob Crandall and Gordon Bethune to take over the world using their proxies. :shock:

LOL, ok aislehopper...I admit that was pretty funny. I can see the diabolical duo rubbing their hands together in their old grey castle with lightening flashes, etc...

You're a "bull" in this "market". That's cool; I hope you're right.
Delta's earning statement on the Delta Web today sounds like Larry Kudlow wrote it (talking head who's known for being bullish). Ok, I admit--I'm no Suzy Orman or anything but how did a 1 billion loss come out as a profit of $137 million--is that excluding fuel charges? And if so, why do they exclude that? And then what are those "one-time" charges? That must mean one-time charges per quarter as they had those last quarter as well, right?

Cooper--No hard feelings at all. I don't believe in holding long(-wink-) grudges. Life's too short.

From Delta's press release.
Bold added by me. Hope this clears it up for you.

June Quarter Financial Results

Including special charges of $1.2 billion, net of tax, primarily related to the impairment of goodwill and other intangibles, Delta reported a net loss for the June 2008 quarter of $1.0 billion. Excluding special and reorganization items in both periods, Delta had net income of $137 million in the second quarter of 2008 compared to net income of $274 million in the second quarter of 2007 4. The year-over- year decrease in net income was driven primarily by unprecedented fuel prices, partially offset by an increase in operating revenue from international expansion.

In March, Delta announced it had recalibrated its 2008 business plan with a focus on preserving liquidity in light of the significant increase in crude oil prices. During the June quarter, as fuel prices continued to rise, the airline reevaluated its flight schedule, targeting additional reductions in capacity. Delta now expects system capacity for the second half of 2008 to be down 4% compared to 2007, with domestic capacity down 13% and international capacity up 14%. The company is now targeting to remove the equivalent of 100 regional aircraft from the system by the end of the year. Through aggressive revenue and cost initiatives, including expansion of its international network, and utilization of its fuel hedge strategy, the company expects to cover approximately $3 billion of the estimated $4 billion raw impact of higher fuel input costs in 2008. Delta expects to end the year with a liquidity position of $3.2 billion, including $1 billion available under its revolving credit facility.

“The fact that we mitigated nearly 80% of the impact of higher fuel input cost this quarter while improving our liquidity is a testament to both the strength of our action plan and the can-do spirit of the Delta people,â€￾ said Edward Bastian, Delta’s president and chief financial officer. “Unprecedented fuel prices have created a real crisis in the airline industry, and Delta has been a leader in responding with quick, decisive action.â€￾

LOL, ok aislehopper...I admit that was pretty funny. I can see the diabolical duo rubbing their hands together in their old grey castle with lightening flashes, etc...

You're a "bull" in this "market". That's cool; I hope you're right.
Delta's earning statement on the Delta Web today sounds like Larry Kudlow wrote it (talking head who's known for being bullish). Ok, I admit--I'm no Suzy Orman or anything but how did a 1 billion loss come out as a profit of $137 million--is that excluding fuel charges? And if so, why do they exclude that? And then what are those "one-time" charges? That must mean one-time charges per quarter as they had those last quarter as well, right?

Cooper--No hard feelings at all. I don't believe in holding long(-wink-) grudges. Life's too short.

Hi LAW,

Another thread in this site explains the $1billion paper write down. http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php...10&start=10

I hope that link takes you there. I didn't understand the write down either until I read the linked thread. I do believe we will recieve a profit share check for the quarter profit.

Yes I am bullish! LOL Or is it bull headed?? :blink:

Oh and LAW, I am down to rereading 3 times as opposed to 5 times after my hospital trip last winter. I'm much better now. :D

You can spin it any way you like...if it makes you feel better. Your spin, however doesn't change reality. Their resumes do not say "old Delta" on them, moreover, ALL of them spent most of their careers @ NWA during a period when they took the most consistently profitable US major and enriched themselves, leaving the company surviving ONLY via paycuts. They have a longggg history at NWA (regardless of your quip about their short stints at other carriers) Their only ability to show a profit was via employee paycuts (extending decades)...TWICE. There is a grand difference in the meaning of consipiracy and REALITY...I know some live in both worlds. I tend to live in reality based on past actions...not in dreamland, far off in the future with sweet feel good words. Keep thinking it's new day and a new gang...they like prey like that.

The reality is NWA made profits for decades prior this gangs arrival, based on product and business savvy. That was NOT the case after their arrival. RAnderson is a protegee of John Dasburg and Gary Wilson, Steenland is a minion of RAnderson. Cheap lawyers trained by the same thieves.

Now you just keep hoping and wishing for things to be rah rah. Some people just can't grasp reality...as in over 17 years of it at NWA. If you really think they will be different because the name of the airline changed, and...George Bush is a Rhodes Scholar.

You can spin it any way you like...if it makes you feel better. Your spin, however doesn't change reality. Their resumes do not say "old Delta" on them, moreover, ALL of them spent most of their careers @ NWA during a period when they took the most consistently profitable US major and enriched themselves, leaving the company surviving ONLY via paycuts. They have a longggg history at NWA (regardless of your quip about their short stints at other carriers) Their only ability to show a profit was via employee paycuts (extending decades)...TWICE. There is a grand difference in the meaning of consipiracy and REALITY...I know some live in both worlds. I tend to live in reality based on past actions...not in dreamland, far off in the future with sweet feel good words. Keep thinking it's new day and a new gang...they like prey like that.

The reality is NWA made profits for decades prior this gangs arrival, based on product and business savvy. That was NOT the case after their arrival. RAnderson is a protegee of John Dasburg and Gary Wilson, Steenland is a minion of RAnderson. Cheap lawyers trained by the same thieves.

Now you just keep hoping and wishing for things to be rah rah. Some people just can't grasp reality...as in over 17 years of it at NWA. If you really think they will be different because the name of the airline changed, and...George Bush is a Rhodes Scholar.
So what would suggest we do? Become negative and grumpy like yourself? Maybe get representation? I would bet even the represented took pay cuts at NWA. I will stick to at least having some hope for the survival and thriving of this airline. Regardless of how we feel about the new management team, we have to live with them, our BOD says so. I choose to be positive about our outlook and I will do my best to strive for success.

So what would suggest we do? Become negative and grumpy like yourself? Maybe get representation? I would bet even the represented took pay cuts at NWA. I will stick to at least having some hope for the survival and thriving of this airline. Regardless of how we feel about the new management team, we have to live with them, our BOD says so. I choose to be positive about our outlook and I will do my best to strive for success.

I'm glad you asked. If you call being a realist, and dealing with reality based on past actions as negative and grumpy...that's unfortunate. You could bet that the represented at all carriers took pay cuts...you can also bet that Delta's non union work force is the lowest compensated of all the majors when full pay (benefits/work rules) are compared. That is what allows present Delta to bragg about having the "best" (sic:lowest cost) cost structure.

My suggestion to you is to develop a strategy...starting FIRST with getting Union representation (and NO Union out there is perfect..just ask ALPA). And if you think you don't need it...take a look at the FORCED TERMS of EMPLOYMENT during BK at NWA, developed by your new NWA bosses..sans pit face. With out a UNION, you are "see ya later charlie, been nice knowing ya, Now hit the bricks"

Frankly, you have VERY little to be happy about at present. All you have are promises..promises in the business world aren't worth the air it takes to speak them. As the potentially largest union on the property, if this deal goes through, the Cabin Crew of the new company can demand to be involved and share equally with a "ME TOO Clause" with any other labor group...INCLUDING pilots. Or...they SHUT the airline down. (Something that 60% who DIDN'T vote will eat for the next two years instead of enjoying the benefits immediately...LIKE the pilots)

That is the power of collective bargaining. Some people prefer to live with dreams, others prefer to lay out a plan to make them happen with out relying on the "kindness" of others, and many at Delta will learn a HARD lesson when depending on the "kindness" of this gang. One has only to look at their past involvement. Did they promise NWA employees the world when they arrived in the early 90s..YES, and NWA employees responded with placing NW as the #1 carrier in America in service, on time, baggage, and complaints during the early 1990's. Their reward...they were force to strike or face the threat of BK as fulfillment of "promises"...over and over and over. So, you see, we've a long LEARNED history with how this gang operates. For them to have allowed Steenland to remain on the BOD speaks volumes about the contempt with which they hold for labor.

The only thing they understand is litigation, how much to steal (legally) with out causing a strike, and give them no more than necessary. And do not forget..they are always scheming on how to get rid of you and replace you with someone cheaper.

Latest posts