The unions are coming, the unions are coming!

bagboy

Advanced
Sep 30, 2007
If a merger between UA or NW comes this year so does the fact that the unions will be knocking. How will the Delta ramp, counter, techs, and f/a vote on this issue? The name of the airline may stay the same but the employees at work will certainly fly only with the power of the union. Like it or not, here we come.

If a merger between UA or NW comes this year so does the fact that the unions will be knocking. How will the Delta ramp, counter, techs, and f/a vote on this issue? The name of the airline may stay the same but the employees at work will certainly fly only with the power of the union. Like it or not, here we come.
We will see.They have come before ..it's the argument that they have not won.

We will see.They have come before ..it's the argument that they have not won.

...And they'll have a chance again, as each and every group at NWA is unionized, and there are no less than 7 unions in the house (IAM, AFA, AMFA, TWU, NAMA ALPA, and ATSA).

If I was a DL ramper, I'd weigh my hourly wage (nominally more than NWA) vs. scope (much better than DL's even after NWA's BK).

In my 30+ years on the workforce I have been part of a union for 25 years.

Unions aren't as strong as they once were, but God help you without them. You become a pawn and are easily expendible. Management can fire you because you are a liability. Ask the Air Wisconsin employees in NY!

Thanks for the persistence of union humor. :lol:

There would probably be a vote required if DL's employees make up at 35% of the total employees of the combined airline.

There would probably be a vote required if DL's employees make up at 35% of the total employees of the combined airline.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing I GREATLY fear if DL+ NW do become a reality, is that(I think) the DL f/a's far outnumber the NW F/A's......same for the AMT's.

As for the ramp(ESE's), DL does'nt have many of the original rampers. They created a "watered down" group called "Delta Global somethingorother", and I'd Imagine that NW has equal or More IAM ESE's that REGULAR DL Rampers.

Should things proceed, NW ESE's MUST BE very VIGILANT to ensure that Anderson doesn't try to MIX the two DL ramp groups together when it comes time for a representational vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing I GREATLY fear if DL+ NW do become a reality, is that(I think) the DL f/a's far outnumber the NW F/A's......same for the AMT's.

As for the ramp(ESE's), DL does'nt have many of the original rampers. They created a "watered down" group called "Delta Global somethingorother", and I'd Imagine that NW has equal or More IAM ESE's that REGULAR DL Rampers.

Should things proceed, NW ESE's MUST BE very VIGILANT to ensure that Anderson doesn't try to MIX the two DL ramp groups together when it comes time for a representational vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe there are around 9,000 rampers at Delta.

As you probably know Delta combines departments unlike other airlines. So ramp and gates and ticket counter are all the same department...therefore the number is much higher then 9000.I am not sure if res is under the same umbrella . I'm not saying that they are anti union but the drumbeat for a union is just not there.Plus I do not know how much loyalty there is for the unions at NWA . With out overwhelming pro union support from that group and a substantial pro union vote from DAL groups I think a pro union outcome would be in doubt. Anyone know what the numbers are ? With soo many different representative groups at NWA and different unions representing them what would be the ratios? Notice I do not mention UAL. That is not in the cards .

I don't know what department you're in 9000 is really high. I work in Dept 120 here in LAX. I know Delta only has 14 to 15 stations that are Delta ramp. LAX ATL SLC HNL CVG EWR LGA JFK BOS FLL TPA MCO SJU MSY DCA these are the only Delta Ramp stations. The rest are all contract being DGS(Delta Global Service) or some other contract service.

As you probably know Delta combines departments unlike other airlines. So ramp and gates and ticket counter are all the same department...therefore the number is much higher then 9000.I am not sure if res is under the same umbrella . I'm not saying that they are anti union but the drumbeat for a union is just not there.Plus I do not know how much loyalty there is for the unions at NWA . With out overwhelming pro union support from that group and a substantial pro union vote from DAL groups I think a pro union outcome would be in doubt. Anyone know what the numbers are ? With soo many different representative groups at NWA and different unions representing them what would be the ratios? Notice I do not mention UAL. That is not in the cards .
Delta tried already to do just that add dept 120 ramp and dept 125 passenger service in 1999 but fail. That's the year we tried to unionize with TWU unfortunately we fail to unionize. National Mediation Board told Delta that 120 and 125 had different work fuctions, 120 has no pax contact.

The ramp, counter, res agents, and security at NW are all under the IAM. bout 14000 strong last check. I may have left someone out, sorry. We had Mechanics, aircraft and plant maint, along with fleet service cleaners before the AMFA divided us. Don't worry about the "drum beat for a union". Our first day together on the ramp I'll bang that drum loud and clear for all of you. You are right about the loyalty to the union on the part of NW employees but that has more to do with the constant turn over and plentiful part-time help that is looking for a flight pass rather than big picture. There are plenty of us ready to put in our yes vote for the union. If you only new what a bunch of cold, heartless, SOB are running things at NW and soon at the new DL, you'd be bangin that drum too.

If you only new what a bunch of cold, heartless, SOB are running things at NW and soon at the new DL, you'd be bangin that drum too.

Valid point! How will Northwest managers fit into the new DAL/NWA corporate culture? After so many years of of infighting with the unions, can they manage a non-union workforce--or will they just drive that workforce into voting for a union?

From what I understand, according to some AFA activists working on the DL campaign, they have signed cards from approx. 50% of the DL f/a population at this point in time. (Only 35% req'd for a vote...a passing vote must have 50% + 1 ballots returned marked "yes")
If you add in even just 80% of NW f/a's who will want to remain with AFA, you've got enough for a YES vote on Delta f/a's beicoming AFA.
That's why if/when this thing is announced, DL f/a's who have not signed a card, should just go ahead and do so as AFA is stating that if we vote a in a union before the actual transaction (the merger), we (DL f/a's) will be assured of date-of-hire for the combined seniority list, rather than Delta's policy (and the new law just passed thru Congress) which only states "fair and equitable" integration. "Fair and equitable" is subjective and open to interpretation. Date-of-hire is cut and dried.

Latest posts