The unions are coming, the unions are coming!

Great Post Kev, the more information that is passed between the two airlines employees the easier it is to compare both companies. What I'd like to know is the benefits package that Delta Ramp and Customer Service have. I'd like to know about their retirement pension, 401k, or if they have both. Their medical, dental, is it an HMO or traditional type insurance coverage?, single & family costs. Profit sharing, flight benefits. Work rules, layoff protection, transferring to other stations, the list goes on and on. If this merger becomes reality I'd like to have some information on these important issues.

Maybe a Delta employee will be able to answer this post,, your information would be much appreciated.....

George NWA FLL ESE

Non Union DL employees had there pensions frozen like NWA so what was earned they keep. Same as NWA, conicedence?

They now get 2% of there pay put into a 401k for them. If they elect DL will match an additional 5% dollor for dollor. I.E. If you put in 5% of your pay your combined savings total is 12%.

self serving? There are 14,000 flight attendants at Delta. Someone has
to look out for the best interest of DELTA f/a's.. If that means better than
DOE, so be it. I understand the picture will be much clearer by thur/fri
Lets hope the news will be.....Delta/Northwest. Two airlines run by one company.
Just like big sister KLM/AirFrance.

So you think because you have worked for Delta for 20 years, that entitles you to more seniority than a NW f/a who has also labored the same amount of time. Why? If you don't have valid reasons, then YES, you have a self-serving, arrogant attitude.
As far as "someone" looking out for Delta's best interest, what have YOU done to try to make that a reality? Have you worked on behalf of union representation? Have you passed out cards? Have you even signed one?

From DeltaNet - Food for thought . . . . . .

Richard looks ahead to profit sharing, base pay announcements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
January 22, 2008

Richard Anderson confirmed that Delta will announce profit-sharing payouts to employees Wednesday as part of our 2007 earnings report. In his most recent Right from Richard message, he recapped compensation changes since we emerged from bankruptcy and said that the results of a study on base pay increases should be ready for release by the end of the first quarter.

“We had pay increases last July,†Richard said. “We had over $30 million in Shared Rewards payouts; we’re putting a similar Shared Rewards program in place [for this year]; on Valentine’s Day this year we’re going to have a very fulsome profit-sharing payout. And by the end of the first quarter, we’re going to complete our evaluation of base-pay increases for all employees, and operate on a similar timeline that we operated on last year with a July 1 effective date. We’re continuing our commitment to all of you. Our goal is industry-standard [pay], and we’re working hard on a business plan that allows us operating earnings and the cash flow to be able to provide a good place for you to work and a good return for our shareholders.â€

Hi aislehopper. The reposting below was found on one of your favorite sites. How do you spin the following?
1. Delta's max early retirement/severance package payout was $12,000---Northwest, $27,000
2. Delta's post-BK payouts which included the stock (down 8 points from it's reemergence price) and the upcoming profit sharing (which, based on an average f/a's salary will avergage around $2,000). --Northwest's post-emergence awards averaging $15,000.
3. Delta's retirement health insurance for those over 55-none. Northwest--pays 1/2 the premium.

What's also funny is that the Administrator over at that site highlited the fact (the highlighting doesn't show up in this format) that NW f/a's make $9,000 less since taking the cuts. Guess what? That's exactly how much less I'm making since our cuts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More than 1,000 flight attendants seek NWA buyout
Airline acted after holidays
BY JOHN WELBES
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 01/03/2008 09:05:11 PM CST

By the end of the month, 450 Northwest Airlines flight attendants will be making their last trip down an aisle with a beverage cart, as buyouts kick in for long-time employees.

The exit packages are part of a deal Northwest struck with flight attendants while moving through bankruptcy a year ago. The only uncertainty about the agreement was when Northwest would put it in motion.

A few weeks ago, the flight attendants found out. The first 225 will be done on Jan. 14. The other half will go Jan. 31.

Eagan-based Northwest, which has about 8,300 flight attendants, chose the January dates for implementing the program "to ensure that staffing levels more than met the holiday demand," the airline said in a statement Thursday.

To account for the buyouts that are looming, Northwest said it hired at an accelerated pace in the second half of 2007, and does "not anticipate any staffing difficulties as a result of the departing flight attendants."

Kevin Griffin, president of the Association of Flight Attendants at Northwest, said the company had until March 2009 to pull the trigger on buyouts. He said it appears the airline has enough flight attendants to maintain service, noting leaves of absence recently were offered to employees.

"But the attrition rate is high," he added. "So I'm not sure. It is quite a few people to walk out the door in one month."

The buyout deal gives each qualifying flight attendant $1,000 per year of service up to 20 years, with an additional payment for service beyond that to a maximum of $27,000. Also, if the attendants are 56 or older, they can treat the buyout as a retirement and qualify for Northwest's health-insurance package, though they have to pay half the monthly premium, Griffin said. Those 55 and younger who take the buyout are on their own for health insurance.

Even though those terms are nowhere near as generous as other high-profile buyouts at local employers who have been in cost-cutting modes - such as the Ford plant in St. Paul, where some workers walked away with $100,000 or more - there was no shortage of takers among the Northwest attendants.

"There was twice as much demand" for the buyout above the number that Northwest offered, Griffin said. "There were over 1,000 who wanted it."

The buyouts were awarded based on seniority, and the least senior employees who qualified had 20 years experience, he said.

The contract with Northwest that attendants approved as the airline exited bankruptcy last spring included wage concessions, and the package didn't sit well with many employees. The cuts capped top flight attendant pay at about $35,400 a year, down from $44,000 before the bankruptcy filing, the union said.

That contract passed with 50.9 percent voting in favor and 49.1 percent voting against it.

The flight attendants did get to split up a $182 million claim in Northwest's bankruptcy reorganization, which brought each of them roughly $15,000.

--------------------

Administrator
Deltafa.org Talk

This is all I'm going to post on how Delta "cares" about its flight attendants:

Monday, December 10, 2007

Richard Anderson, Chief Executive Officer
Department 940
1010 Delta Boulevard
Atlanta, Georgia 30354

Joanne Smith, Senior Vice President - In-Flight Service and Global Product Development
Department 013
1010 Delta Boulevard OC-2 Bldg 5th Floor
Atlanta, Georgia 30354

Dear Richard and Joanne,

On January 30, 2007, the Delta flight attendant activists working to join the Association of Flight Attendants wrote to Paulette Corbin, our then Senior Vice President of In-Flight Service. In our letter we wrote:

“...we would like to learn to trust Delta management so let us begin with a respectful request for a copy of Delta's current flight attendant seniority list. You claim that Delta flight attendants enjoy all the same rights and benefits as our peers with a union contract; therefore, you should have no problem disclosing this list to us so that we can know how many flight attendants are within our ranks and verify the accuracy of our placement on the seniority list. Flight attendants with a union voice have access to their seniority lists, enabling them to verify proper processing of leaves, furloughs and seniority placement. We would like the same. To be clear, we are not requesting contact information – just a list of current FA employees and their status (leaves, retirements, IVF, VLT5, etc.).â€
Unfortunately Paulette did not see the value in engaging us and denied our request. Today, almost a year later, our company and department are being led by a new management team so we are again submitting our request.

On October 25, 2007 IFS concluded the recalling of 503 furloughed flight attendants. Additionally, Joanne Smith informed the Atlanta Business Chronicle on December 7th that Delta will be hiring "1,000 new domestic, 400 new international, and rehiring 500 furloughed attendants." Each of these proposed changes in staffing are on top of the many changes to our seniority list since 9/11 and bankruptcy. To clarify, at the height of IFS employment we had nearly 21,000 flight attendants ... today we have almost 14,000. These dramatic changes to our seniority list present fundamental opportunity for oversight and error and the Delta flight attendants have no opportunity to ensure its accuracy. We, the employee’s whose names appear on the Delta flight attendant seniority list, believe this list should be readily available and accessible to any flight attendant at any time ... and not solely under the supervision of management.
Furthermore, with merger and acquisition speculation being reported by the press almost daily, it is incumbent on the Delta flight attendants to have a greater sense of ownership with regard to our seniority list. If the day does come where we are merging our seniority list with another airline’s seniority list we’ll want to participate in that process. And the best way to prepare ourselves is to ensure our current list is completely accurate.

Our goal as frontline flight attendant activists is not just about joining the Association of Flight Attendants. We are career professionals who are actively working to improve and rebuild our very profession. We are stepping up to the ‘leadership plate’ to help our management ensure our seniority is guarded and protected. In the past, management has said that the IFS seniority list is the property of Delta Air Lines. In response, we would like to say that “WE,†the Delta flight attendants, are Delta. The Delta flight attendant seniority list is “OUR†list – who else is affected by it? We would like to have ownership in the structure, maintenance and accuracy of our list. Our request is our offer to work with management for the benefit of all Delta flight attendants.
We thank you for your time and consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

THE DELTA-AFA NATIONAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Jean Marie Cinotto – ATL
Georgia Base Mobilization Chair
John Jablonski – ATL
Georgia Regional Phone Chair
Stephen Jerge – ATL
East Base Mobilization Chair
Linda Sorenson – ATL
East Regional Phone Chair
Marianne Bicksler – SLC
West Base Mobilization Chair
Toni Weinfurtner – SAS
West Regional Phone Chair
Al Corry – ATL
Strategy and Tactics
Signe Homstad – ATL
Strategy and Tactics
Kirk Purvis – NYC
Strategy and Tactics
Marilyn Bowden – ATL
Strategy and Tactics
Paul Tanner – SLC
Communications
Mark Stell – SAS
Communications
Carol Cragg – FLM
Data Coordinator
Inge Fischer-Whitaker – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Rebecca Fitzgerald – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Erin Keen-Hansil – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Mara Levene – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Lillian Martinez – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Kay Thomas – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Amy Yon – ATL
ATL Base Co-Chair
Gilbert Livingston – NYC
NYC Base Co-Chair
Charlie Rodgers – NYC
NYC Base Co-Chair
Andrea Taylor – NYC
NYC Base Co-Chair
Tammy Yeager – NYC
NYC Base Co-Chair
Desi Leal – BOS
BOS Base Chair
Jim Laird – CVG
CVG Base Co-Chair
Oregon Phone Chair
Celeste Snyder – CVG
CVG Base Co-Chair
Tracey Shover – DCN
DCN Base Chair
Stephen Coplen – TPM
TPM Base Chair
Sally Pancoast – MCO
MCO Base Chair
Gabe Perez – FLM
FLM Base Chair
Janet Trau – SWS
SWS Base Chair
Darren Au – LAX
LAX Base Co-Chair
Dudley Ogata – LAX
LAX Base Co-Chair
Rick Smaglo – LAX
LAX Base Co-Chair
Norbert Diaz – HLS
HLS Base Chair
Deanne Rohe – SFS
SFS Base Chair
Gerda Christensen – SLC
SLC Base Co-Chair
Mary Koester – SLC
SLC Base Co-Chair
Glen Chase – SAS
SAS Base Chair
Jeff Vessey – ATL
Georgia Phone Co-Chair
Joan Harvey – ATL
Georgia Phone Co-Chair
Sheree O’Conner – ATL
Alabama Phone Chair
Sherry Johnson – NYC
Connecticut Phone Chair
Leyda Adams – NYC
District of Columbia Phone Chair
Danny Valdez – ATL
Florida Phone Co-Chair
Emily Ceshker – ATL
Florida Phone Co-Chair
Marcos Garcia – ATL
Florida Phone Co-Chair
Jamie Alvarado – NYC
Maryland Phone Chair
Corinn Darby – NYC
Maine Phone Chair
Pamela Breckenridge-Buselli – NYC
New Hampshire Phone Chair
Niko Papathanasiou – NYC
New Jersey Phone Chair
Megan Northam – NYC
New York Phone Chair
Robert Alsager – ATL
South Carolina Phone Chair
Gayle Meyer – NYC
Arizona Phone Co-Chair
Nicolee Ober – ATL
Arizona Phone Co-Chair
Denise Corsello – LAX
California Phone Co-Chair
Linda Madsen – LAX
Steve Markham – LAX
Kelli Parsons – ATL
Kansas Phone Chair
Tammy Whisman – SLC
Montana, North Dakota,
South Dakota, Nebraska Phone Chair
Terry Friese – SLC
Nevada Phone Chair
Luanne Morrison – ATL
Texas Phone Chair
Tom Doering – SLC
Utah Phone Chair
Marieda Sawyer-Conley – CVG
Kentucky Phone Chair
Dianne Shelton – SLC
Utah Phone Chair
David Jacob – CVG
Wisconsin Phone Chair

Delta Management Response:

Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Post Office Box 20706
Atlanta, Georgia 30320-6001
December 18, 2007

MOD NOTE: PERSONAL INFORMATION DELETED BY REQUEST

Dear Mark,

I am responding to your e-mail letter dated December 10, 2007, in which you requested a copy of Delta’s flight attendant seniority list.
As you know, we place significant emphasis on protecting the privacy of Delta people, so I am surprised that you would again ask for us to disclose this information. In recent months, and particularly over the past few weeks, we have heard numerous complaints from Delta flight attendants about receiving unsolicited call and emails from AFA supporters. Although you did not request that we supply contact information for the individuals on the list, with modern internet capabilities such information often is not difficult to obtain once there is a list of names. For that and related reasons, it is Delta’s policy not to disclose personal information regarding Delta employees except as required by law or as authorized by the employee.

You also stated that your group wishes to ensure the accuracy of Delta’s seniority list and to have a greater sense of ownership of the list if there were a merger. We do not receive many complaints or questions regarding the accuracy of our seniority list. If a flight attendant has a concern, he or she can always view the list and can have his or her concerns addressed and questions answered. If there were a merger, our Board of Directors’ commitment to assure that there is a fair and equitable process for seniority protection means that Delta flight attendants not only will participate, but will help lead that process as we have historically done.
Mark, we welcome your offer to work cooperatively with management for the benefit of all flight attendants. There are many avenues available for you to do so. But we don’t believe it is necessary for you to obtain a list of flight attendants’ names and status for that purpose.

We would be pleased to hear your ideas about working jointly with management to help make Delta a more successful airline and a great place to work.

Sincerely,

Joanne Smith
Sr. Vice President
In-Flight Services and
Global Product Development
JS:gb

Believe me ,I don't agree with a lot of the crap that has gone down at Delta, but having a union would probably not have changed any of that ?

Also, as far as I know, employees at other airlines (unionized) have taken major hits !

What did their unions do for them during all of this is what I'm asking !

Did they take paycuts ?...........check
Do they pay more for benefits ?..............check
Did any of them have CEO's take the money and run ?...........check

So, what did the unions do during all of this ?

We all lost pay and benefits during BK, but which airline has better benefits now? I really don't know, because I have no way of comparing the two companies benefits unless someone from Delta (ramp)posts some information on this message board.
As far as I know if you get laidoff at Delta, the company tells you were to go, at Northwest Airlines, I get to use my seniority and "bump" into another station, (NWA has 40 cities with ESE/ramp employees). I think Delta Airlines has 15 cities that have their own ramp employees. NWA posts permenent and temporary positions at the stations were stationed, so you can actually "check out" a new city/station on a temporary assignment and then put in for a permenent positon when it opens up.

During negotiations, NWA wanted to set up a new ground company and funnel the ramp positions to the hubs, the union said "dont even go their", because we knew that if the Company starts a subsidiary with the same functions as the ramp we would end up with another "Delta Global Services." The subsidiary died on the negotiation table.

Our pensions were frozen during the BK but NWA and the IAM negotiated a new pension plan where NWA now funds the National IAM Pension Plan (iamnpf.org). I have a retirement from the Company (frozen with 17 years vested service x $51.00 per year) and one from the Union (which is new, 0 years x $37.00 per year) and a 401K plan (NWA/State Street Bank, NWA does not match). I still have over twenty years to go before I retire.

Medical Insurance $177.02/month (my family of four), it would be $60.00 (single)
Dental Insurnace $17.82/month (my family of four), it would be $ 6.00 (single)

LTD (Long Term Diability Insurance) $28.05/month. after using up your sick/OJI time, you get 66% of your salary. I currently have 1063 hours of sick time and 1552 hours of OJI time (with 18 years of service.

OJI (On the Job Injury) no max; after 5 to 7 days it pays 2/3 of your weekly wages (varies with state).
Sick time accruel no maximum.

Vacation Accruels ramp and Customer Service

less than 4 years 1 week
4 but less than 9 2 weeks
9 but less than 16 3 weeks
16 but less than 24 4 weeks
24 but less than 29 5 weeks
29 or more 6 weeks

7 paid holidays @ Double time rate New Years Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, Company Anniversary (hire date), and Birthday Holiday.

What we need is an honest exchange of ideas between both employee groups.

George NWA FLL ESE

Medical at DL sounds very close to NW. There are several options but for the most popular here is a quick rundown.

Single $67, DL pays first 500 of 1000 deductable. 80/20% split in network after that.
Family $191, DL pays first 1500 of 1000inv/3000family deductable. 80/20%.

Preventative services are payed 100%.

My reaction was to the following post:

I just wonder how union blowhards feel about giving non-union people, who have'nt paid a cent in union dues, full seniority.

My reaction was to the following post:

I just wonder how union blowhards feel about giving non-union people, who have'nt paid a cent in union dues, full seniority.

I've answered that question before BABABOOY, the last post i mentioned the word "dovetail" look it up in a dictionary. And thanks for the complementary "blowhard" comment.. Very classy indeed!

I wouldnt want it any other way BABABOOY. Full seniority or date of hire seniority being dovetailed so you bring your years of service up to the table and let the chips fall where they may... and the AF/KLM model would just be fine with me!...Good luck to all my fellow Northwest Airlines employees and all the Delta employees,,, were sure going to need it!

You see the difference in tone and subject matter BABABOOY...

Believe me ,I don't agree with a lot of the crap that has gone down at Delta, but having a union would probably not have changed any of that ?

Also, as far as I know, employees at other airlines (unionized) have taken major hits !

What did their unions do for them during all of this is what I'm asking !

Did they take paycuts ?...........check
Do they pay more for benefits ?..............check
Did any of them have CEO's take the money and run ?...........check

So, what did the unions do during all of this ?
Yes you're right they did take pay cuts but the cuts weren't not that deep. I remember when we at Delta took the first cut. Ok I agree we needed to take a cut but come at us again after 6 months with another one. Come on and the whole time the pilots that are union didn't take the first til bankruptcy. Who do you think was looking for my best interest.

I've answered that question before BABABOOY, the last post i mentioned the word "dovetail" look it up in a dictionary. And thanks for the complementary "blowhard" comment.. Very classy indeed!

Your obvioulsy confused

That quote was from ipbrian on page one. my reaction was to ipbrian.
re-read. Blowhard wasn't from me. I don't get into calling names or personal attacks.

So you think because you have worked for Delta for 20 years, that entitles you to more seniority than a NW f/a who has also labored the same amount of time. Why? If you don't have valid reasons, then YES, you have a self-serving, arrogant attitude.
As far as "someone" looking out for Delta's best interest, what have YOU done to try to make that a reality? Have you worked on behalf of union representation? Have you passed out cards? Have you even signed one?

What in the hell does working for union representation, passing out cards or even signing one have to do with "Delta's Best Interest"?

Last time I checked Delta fended off a hostile take-over, which I would consider to be in "Delta's Best Interest,................without a unions input !

What in the hell does working for union representation, passing out cards or even signing one have to do with "Delta's Best Interest"?

Last time I checked Delta fended off a hostile take-over, which I would consider to be in "Delta's Best Interest,................without a unions input !

Follow the thread, Southwind. If you go back to Baba's original posting, he/she states "Someone has to look out for Delta FLIGHT ATTENDANT'S best interest." I shortened Delta FLIGHT ATTENDANT'S to "Delta's best interest" in my reply. That, I admit, was poor writing and I understand how that caused confusion but again, people on boards like this take one posting out of context and respond to that one posting without following the thread back to its origins. Do you think that anyone is naive or dumbed-down enough or has such and absolutist way of thinking (or all three) to believe that Delta doesn't make any decisions that don't benefit the company or its employees? That's the problem with people today...they look at everything in absolutist terms instead of intelligently weighing pros and cons and then coming to the best decision for them.
I've done that and I believe having union representation, clear cut rules, mgt/scheduling accountability inherent in a contract is best. I do not believe that Delta's primary role is to make a touchy-feely family feeling for its employees. Those days are over. They watch their bottom line and I have to look at what's best for me and my family. Again, I have a family...I don't need a skewed emotional attachment to my company.

Follow the thread, Southwind. If you go back to Baba's original posting, he/she states "Someone has to look out for Delta FLIGHT ATTENDANT'S best interest." I shortened Delta FLIGHT ATTENDANT'S to "Delta's best interest" in my reply. That, I admit, was poor writing and I understand how that caused confusion but again, people on boards like this take one posting out of context and respond to that one posting without following the thread back to its origins. Do you think that anyone is naive or dumbed-down enough or has such and absolutist way of thinking (or all three) to believe that Delta doesn't make any decisions that don't benefit the company or its employees? That's the problem with people today...they look at everything in absolutist terms instead of intelligently weighing pros and cons and then coming to the best decision for them.
I've done that and I believe having union representation, clear cut rules, mgt/scheduling accountability inherent in a contract is best. I do not believe that Delta's primary role is to make a touchy-feely family feeling for its employees. Those days are over. They watch their bottom line and I have to look at what's best for me and my family. Again, I have a family...I don't need a skewed emotional attachment to my company.

Amen, Luke! Amen!

Former Delta COO Jim Whitehurst always spoke with an emotional attachment to Delta and look what happened to him! :blink: