This is why Unions are dying.

EastUS1 said:
I think we can stop right there. While no great fan of the SEIU, by any means, well, before further shining up your knee-pads, and mindlessly spewing forth yet more typically anti-union, minor-corporate-slave-mentality-but-yet-big-league-wannabe-rhetoric you have to offer: How many millions did your mighty masters just reap/pocket from just this "merger" alone, you slobbering sycophant? ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111512/
Truth.

UPNAWAY said:
You guys are just showing how sad, manipulated and uninformed you  are, you might not like his salary but he earned every penny of it. Just ask the share holders at AWA, US and now AA. To compare that to a union and politician passing underhanded legislation to take dues out of old peoples medicare checks, just sums it up better than even I could.
Are they, or are your posts in this thread just a testament to how well you've been messaged into advocating against your own best interests?

Reactions: 3 people
and yet thousands of union members ditched their membership when given the chance and weren't bound by state laws to be a union member.

further, forcing family member caregivers into a union in order to collect union dues is the height of desperation of how bad unions are to stop their losses.

The union movement is dead in the US.

the only unknown is when the last spade of dirt will be thrown on the grave.

I'm not saying that middle class has a great future but labor has been able to do nothing to stop the overall trends.

Big government and rampant unbalanced global trade coupled with American hyperconsumerism is finishing off America's middle class.

Kev3188 said:
Truth.

Are they, or are your posts in this thread just a testament to how well you've been messaged into advocating against your own best interests?

Advocating against your own best interests?

Last I checked, unions have become what they want you to despise.

I'd be more concerned as the how's and why's some 89% of the workforce could give a crap about union representation.

...And you'll be right there to dance on it's grave...
absolutely wrong.

I am as opposed to any organization that fails to deliver what it says is its mission - whether it be government the Church, Rotary Club, or anything else.

Ah Trade Unionism!

A bit of a sore subject with me as I feel the problems are two fold from the standpoint of Individual Liberty. Now I know you're all thinking "He's one of them right to work guys" and as far as that statement goes you'd be right. In a free society, NO ONE should be coerced, extorted of forced into paying for things they do not wish to pay for. Be it Union Dues, ObamaCare or Car Insurance. Those should always be voluntary.

Conversely the Federal Government with all of it's rules and alphabet labor regulators telling unions and companies what they can and cannot do is equally wrong.

A Union taking money illegally is no different then say Bernie Madoff or Tom Petters defrauding people.

Bottom line is that when government gets out of the way and sticks to the enforcement of contracts and ensuring there is no initiation of force allowing a free labor markert. Then unions could properly address their concerns with much more leverage.

Now it's just a political shell game with dues revenue the only thing unions care about and not having a union is all corporations care about. NOWHERE does the welfare of the time card punching rank and file enter into the equation beyond being a funding source.

Reactions: 3 people
If they had to prove their value on an ongoing basis in order to keep the dues coming in, perhaps they'd actually start looking out for the members interests.

Right now, it seems they do the bare minimum to avoid being replaced.

Eliminate the closed shop, and you'll see unions change.

Requiring re-certification on a regular basis in a closed shop would accomplish similar results.

Get airlines out of the RLA, and you wouldn't have to worry about PEB's.

The unions will never allow any of that. Perhaps their power is finally diluted to the extent that legislators could push those changes down without worrying about the impact at the ballot box?

Reactions: 2 people
That's all great in theory- and I'm all for a union having to show it's value- but having to recert annually means that an organization will constantly have to be in campaign mode, diverting resources that would be better used elsewhere.

My vote (no pun intended) would be to eliminate the "no raid" clause, and on the surface I'm for the elimination of the RLA, and moving to the NLRB rules if only for the "drop dead" dates CBAs would then have.

Let's also close some of the loopholes in labor law, give some teeth back to organizations such as the NMB and Labor Boards. Let's also do away with things like Citizens United (yes, it's relevant here).

Tighten it up all around, rebalance the power between capital and labor, and let the chips fall where they may.

every year is too much. Not even the President is subjected to that.

Lifetime membership with no realistic way to get out of the union without having state legislatures intervene is why Americans don't want to get into a union in the first place.

A closed shop is negotiated between the employer and the union.

Closed shops are only normally under the RLA, not the NLRA, the majority of union members are under the NLRA, only airline and railroad are under the RLA.

And under the NLRA they are an open shop, they dont have to join nor pay anything union dues, yet they reap the same benefits from the CBA and the union has to represent someone who isnt a member nor pays dues, is that fair?

And under the RLA you dont have to join the union, you can be a no-agency fee payer or a dues objector and you only pay dues in what is germane to the enforcement and negotiation of the CBA.

You are spreading misinformation once again.

Under the NLRA they can hold a desertification vote, so no one is forced to join the union nor pay dues under the NLRA.

read the article again.

and then tell us again what thousands of workers in WI and MI have walked away from their union membership when they had the opportunity to do so.

Americans increasingly see no value in union membership.

Reactions: 1 person