Three 13 hour Shifts

Would you be willing to work three 13 hour shifts with four days off

• Total voters

Ronin

Aug 15, 2012
Just taking a poll whether you would consider working a 13 hour shift to have four days off.

you mean like UPS? Four tens= mon thru thurs. And three thirteens= fri sat and sun. BUT WITHOUT THE UPS PAY? HELL NO!!

Having worked both 4 10s and 3 13s before, but while sitting at a desk with breaks whenever I wanted one, I can tell you that either one will wear you down to a nub eventually. I can not imagine doing that while working as a mechanic or a ramper. Ewww.

Reactions: 2 people
We are worn out anyway, many work doubles, thats 17 hours, simply to try and survive. I used to do two doubles and a single every week, then I could work a second job two full days and still have a weekend. What I see guys doing with this is working two shifts and giving away the third, this way they could work full time somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 person
Can you guys make a logbook entry when a jet gets worked on by a guy pulling a 13 hour shift or a "double"?

Because I have ZERO interest in flying it in that case.

Reactions: 4 people
Can you guys make a logbook entry when a jet gets worked on by a guy pulling a 13 hour shift or a "double"?

Because I have ZERO interest in flying it in that case.

Happens all the time..

How about 42 hours straight on a DC10 #2 engine change in DEN....

Still want to fly?

We are worn out anyway, many work doubles, thats 17 hours, simply to try and survive. I used to do two doubles and a single every week, then I could work a second job two full days and still have a weekend. What I see guys doing with this is working two shifts and giving away the third, this way they could work full time somewhere else.
Many in Tulsa are now losing their second jobs since the company has decided to treat us all like we are in prison. Absolutely no C/S allowed. Fixed start/stop times so those who either worked it out to start a little early or late to accomodate another job to try to make up loss of pay from AA are now going to be out of luck. Of course the TWU has been mum on all this. We will have to stick to a strict schedule and watch management come and go as they please. Traffic jams are now common occurance in the parking lot. It seems management in Tulsa is going out of their way to make us as miserable as they can, with the TWU's blessing it looks like. How would no C/S allowed go over at the line stations? Get ready. I am thinking if it is not allowed in Tulsa it won't be allowed elsewhere.

With the fence they installed it LOOKS like a prison.

Lets look at how AA does things as far as time.

Odd hours (making sure you can't work another job)
No weekends (unless your super senior)
No requesting vacation days (mixed with loss of CS's is a huge problem)
Restrictive sick time (only 5 days a year and they harass you if you use them)
No holidays off (learn to love working holidays, forget getting Christmas off.... for most of your life.... if ever)
Loss of double time (if you work a holiday your working for four hours of pay, because you can sit at home and collect eight)
Out of control part time (at a UNIONized place no less)

This is nothing more than manipulation to control the workforce. If you could work two jobs you could be less dependent on American Airlines and they can't have that, no way.

If you work for American Airlines you better be prepared to make it your life. Be sure when you meet a young person interested in working for an airline you share this.

My second day at American Airlines one of the senior people told me I work for a company that hates my guts. I should have listened.

Reactions: 3 people
Many in Tulsa are now losing their second jobs since the company has decided to treat us all like we are in prison. Absolutely no C/S allowed. Fixed start/stop times so those who either worked it out to start a little early or late to accomodate another job to try to make up loss of pay from AA are now going to be out of luck. Of course the TWU has been mum on all this. We will have to stick to a strict schedule and watch management come and go as they please. Traffic jams are now common occurance in the parking lot. It seems management in Tulsa is going out of their way to make us as miserable as they can, with the TWU's blessing it looks like. How would no C/S allowed go over at the line stations? Get ready. I am thinking if it is not allowed in Tulsa it won't be allowed elsewhere.
Believe it or not, AA in Tulsa is the only place I've worked at that allowed (custom shifts) to fit your personal life.

Believe it or not, AA in Tulsa is the only place I've worked at that allowed (custom shifts) to fit your personal life.
So you're saying that you were never allowed to C/S off and C/S on at any station you have been at? In my humble opinion, a C/S is a C/S. Doesn't matter if you C/S to work a double shift, work a day off or change your start stop time. The point is, C/S is allowed at line stations and now it is not allowed in Tulsa. Bottom line is line guys can C/S to accomodate a part time job and Tulsa guys can't. But, 74% of the koolaid drinkers in Tulsa were stupid enough to vote for a contract that had work rules and overtime rules to be written later.

Keep in mind that if you are a shop weenie, it doesn't matter what time of day you are there. You work on your widget regardless. This would not work on the line, so line guys were always allowed to work days off so they could take other days off. There is also "Super C/Sing" allowed where you work double or triple shifts for time off. This would never be allowed in Tulsa. This whole thing just shows us that AA is not concerned with their employees needs. This is why I was always set against working together. When the company wants something we are supposed to jump, but when we want something it is too bad. In the old days, everyone would have gone out on the ramp and waited until the policy was changed. But not now. We have weak leadership in our union and it goes hand in hand with a weak membership. At this point in my life I am not going to endure much hardship with this policy, but I feel bad for the people with young kids.

How would no C/S allowed go over at the line stations?
trinity1.jpg

The pic says it all. Nothing would get fixed, the place would shut down. Eliminating the CS would do what paycuts and concessions did not do.

During negotiations I was pushing for CS rules incorporated into the contarct like they have at UAL. the reps from Tulsa and a couple of the Title II were against it, saying that they had better rules in place. Well I guess they didnt.

So you're saying that you were never allowed to C/S off and C/S on at any station you have been at? In my humble opinion, a C/S is a C/S. Doesn't matter if you C/S to work a double shift, work a day off or change your start stop time. The point is, C/S is allowed at line stations and now it is not allowed in Tulsa. Bottom line is line guys can C/S to accomodate a part time job and Tulsa guys can't. But, 74% of the koolaid drinkers in Tulsa were stupid enough to vote for a contract that had work rules and overtime rules to be written later.
Nope, Every other airline or business I worked for, start and stop times were just that. You were allowed to C/S for doctors appointments, but not for kids sports or "part time jobs".