tom horton 20 mill approved

Sure, the context of the RLA is intended to protect commerce, but it was also written under the reality that with rail, a competitor can't just slap down some tracks to serve a market where a competitor is on strike.

It's the same reason that railroads, although they're partially deregulated, still can't just stop serving a line without going thru the STB for an abandonment proceeding. It's private infrastructure serving the public, but it's not portable.

Norfolk Southern can't just start running trains on CSX's rails if CSX is on strike. CSX's tracks are private property, and there are also regulatory and safety issues too numerous to go into.

If an airline is on strike, airports are public property. There are no safety or significant regulatory barriers which would prevent Delta from flying a route that United flew before going out on strike. Sure, someone might need an emergency slot exemption at the few remaining slot controlled airports, but that's an artificial barrier to begin with.

S.1167 explicitly only applies to railroad employees, even though airline employees covered by the RLA.

Nothing stops airline employees from lobbying to be removed from the RLA. That would free you to strike without cooling off periods, and upon abrogation. But y'all seem to be too afraid of the ramifications of an open shop and loss of union dues from compulsory membership.
The TWU ATD would cease to exist if there were no compulsory membership. Why would anyone choose to have them represent them (unless one was one of the high paid appointees)?

S.1167 explicitly only applies to railroad employees, even though airline employees covered by the RLA.

Nothing stops airline employees from lobbying to be removed from the RLA. That would free you to strike without cooling off periods, and upon abrogation. But y'all seem to be too afraid of the ramifications of an open shop and loss of union dues from compulsory membership.

Union membership should never be compulsory, joining a labor union should be an individual choice and mutually respected by the employer and union. Some day becoming a dues objector is fair, but it really isn't no one should be forced to pay anything to maintain their job. It is wrong that AA employees in DFW and MIA, both RTW states have union membership imposed.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Respect maybe the most overused and meaningless word thrown around by unions. Do you really want/care about a company respecting you?

Let me get this right, Kev...

You don't respect or trust your employer enough to believe they'll deal fairly and equitably with you, so you propose putting an intermediary in place to make sure that they do.

And yet you still want their respect in return?

Don't you see anything remotely wrong with that picture?...

"Of course I want to spend the rest of our lives together, honey, but just to prove that I'm in it for love, can you sign this legally binding pre-nuptial contract that's ultimately more binding than the marriage contract we're entering into?..."

Reactions: 3 people
It wouldn't be so bad if the intermediaries could be trusted, but some of them have turned out to be as untrustworthy and disrespectful as the terrible evil bastard capitalist pig-dog employers. Paying $60/mo or more to be "disrespected" by both the employer and your agent. THAT must really sting.

So you need one contract for dealing with your employer, and another for dealing with the union who deals with the employer??

Reactions: 3 people
The only word that comes to mind is Disgusting. How these heartless, morally bankrupt people sleep at night?

Morally bankrupt? What about a guy who has been convicted of 3 DUIs? No one had problems making that man the leader of the new AA.......but I guess CEOs are like ball players to the Unions and Investors: who gives a sh*t if they beat their wives, rape women, or kill people, as long as they make me money and / or entertain me.

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757

So T.H. is getting $20 mil plus was given a spot on the new AA/US board? Hell of a deal. Where do we sign up for that job?

Go to years of school and work your way up through corporate America and become one of the most respected "Bankruptcy" leaders in the business world. Like it or not, he has led ATT&T back to greatness, and ultimately AA too. The numbers have turned around without the drunk at the helm, and all of the stuff US management needed they just got handed by AA.

When you are so good at your job that only a handful of people can do it, then many times you get rich. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Cheers,
777 / 767 /757

Respect maybe the most overused and meaningless word thrown around by unions. Do you really want/care about a company respecting you?
Let me get this right, Kev...

You don't respect or trust your employer enough to believe they'll deal fairly and equitably with you, so you propose putting an intermediary in place to make sure that they do.

And yet you still want their respect in return?

Don't you see anything remotely wrong with that picture?...

"Of course I want to spend the rest of our lives together, honey, but just to prove that I'm in it for love, can you sign this legally binding pre-nuptial contract that's ultimately more binding than the marriage contract we're entering into?..."

I responded to Josh's post about a "mutual respect" between labor and capital when it comes to organizing. Did you not see it?

C'mon, E; do you really think an employer is *ever* excited about it's employees organizing? Sure, they may play nice in a press release or internal memo, but reality is different. If it weren't, the "union avoidance" industrial complex wouldn't exist.

@Upandaway: I would much prefer to have a union that's respected by a company than one that is liked... Interestingly, I'm not sure I ever see the word respect used in these sorts of conversation. What I see all. the. time. is companies using trite buzzwords like "culture," "choice,' and "direct relationship." YMMV.

I responded to Josh's post about a "mutual respect" between labor and capital when it comes to organizing. Did you not see it?

C'mon, E; do you really think an employer is *ever* excited about it's employees organizing? Sure, they may play nice in a press release or internal memo, but reality is different. If it weren't, the "union avoidance" industrial complex wouldn't exist.

@Upandaway: I would much prefer to have a union that's respected by a company than one that is liked... Interestingly, I'm not sure I ever see the word respect used in these sorts of conversation. What I see all. the. time. is companies using trite buzzwords like "culture," "choice,' and "direct relationship." YMMV.

You still haven't answered how it is fair that an AA employee in FL or TX (both RTW states) face compulsory union membership unlike workers in any other industry in those states. Companies aren't stupid, there is a reason the foreign car manufactuers have a presence in Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc. Boeing continues cutting jobs in the Puget Sound, they have also moved several operations to Miami.

You will likely disagree, but DL maintained the laboratory conditions and remained neutral to the extent required by law in the elections following the merger, the NMB rejected all the interference claims and the unions were decertified one by one.

Labor and management have symbiotic relationship, I don't think a company that gives the union everything they want nor is a union who gives the company all the concessions they want a long term, stable relationship. Look at where the auto industry ended up after years of management happy to give into the UAW demands. Unlike the financial services industry where the US treasury realized substantial gains, tax payers continue to lose big time on Chrysler and GM as the treasury sells the remaining shares.

Josh

RTW (for less) dont apply to workers under the RLA.

How is it fair for them to enjoy the benefits of the CBA without having to for its negotiation and enforcement?

The jobs moved to Miami was training, they werent manufacturing jobs, they were white collar jobs and not IAM represented employees.

And DL spends millions hiring union busters.

And companies like DL have "captive audience" meetings when unions cant, so it isnt a level playing field.

sounds a lot like walmart and though my dad is retired from dl he and i have always had our disagreements on union vs non union