Transformation Plan Update

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Transformation Plan

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - The Labor Advisory Committee met with the US Airways senior management team today to hear more information on the company’s transformation plan. The broad outlines of the plan are built on a strategy to lower operating costs; meet competition from discount airlines head-on with a lower, simplified fare structure across the entire system; and to recapture the No. 1 market share position in the East through more point-to-point flying and leveraging our existing positions in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington. Philadelphia will continue to be the focal point of our transatlantic operations with more European destinations to be added; Charlotte’s strategic position as an effective hub to launch more Caribbean service will allow for continued growth of both domestic and international service.

The plan envisions that US Airways would remain the leading carrier at Pittsburgh, but with fewer flights and nonstop destinations. The plan anticipates that Pittsburgh would remain an important focus city. As for other facilities at Pittsburgh, no final determination has been made, as a number of factors, including labor negotiations, must first be resolved.

Discussions with individual work groups on their participation in the plan begin on Thursday and continue through the following Tuesday. The Labor Advisory Committee is made up of representatives of all US Airways' labor unions and non-management, non-union work groups. The committee meets once a quarter to discuss the state of the company.

Well, this high level view seems to make sense. I'll be interested to see how it all unfolds.

I agree, this is a nice, albeit brief and high-level plan. The devil will be in the details, which. presumably management has been flushing out. Sure would be nice to see some of the plan implemented with a press release that says so... Other airlines actually do this.

US Airways statement said: "The plan anticipates that Pittsburgh would remain an important focus city. As for other facilities at Pittsburgh, no final determination has been made, as a number of factors, including labor negotiations, must first be resolved."

USA320Pilot previously said: "Separately, as previously noted, the company plans on winning the A320 overhaul arbitration and then will replace the B737s with A320 and EMB-190/195 aircraft. This will permit the airline to close the Pittsburgh maintenance facility per the new ACAA agreement provided the IAM and the airline do not reach an accord to cost effectively conduct overhaul in-house."

USA320Pilot updated comment: The A320 overhaul arbitration has a significant amount of risk. If the union loses the arbitration, which all unions normally do, then the company could close the Pittsburgh Maintenance facility when the B737s are replaced with Airbus and Embraer aircraft. Today US Airways made it known that the Pittsburgh Maintenance facility is at risk when the airline said, "As for other facilities at Pittsburgh, no final determination has been made, as a number of factors, including labor negotiations, must first be resolved."

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot previously said: "Separately, as previously noted, the company plans on winning the A320 overhaul arbitration and then will replace the B737s with A320 and EMB-190/195 aircraft. This will permit the airline to close the Pittsburgh maintenance facility per the new ACAA agreement provided the IAM and the airline do not reach an accord to cost effectively conduct overhaul in-house."

USA320Pilot updated comment: The A320 overhaul arbitration has a significant amount of risk. If the union loses the arbitration, which all unions normally do, then the company could close the Pittsburgh Maintenance facility when the B737s are replaced with Airbus and Embraer aircraft. Today US Airways made it known that the Pittsburgh Maintenance facility is at risk when the airline said, "As for other facilities at Pittsburgh, no final determination has been made, as a number of factors, including labor negotiations, must first be resolved."

Regards,

USA320Pilot
You are a broken record.

You dont know squat about our scope or history, keep out of our business all ready, like I have told you a million times, please produce the evidence that the company will win it, please explain to me how since 1949 we have overhauled every single airplane that we have flown and the scope language has not changed, so please explain to us with facts and documentation!

Please explain how the unions lose most of the arbitration cases, pretty strange Aritor Bloch in his last two US Cases ruled in Favor of the union, lets see the 401K match, attendance control he ruled in the IAM's favor! PORTION DELETED

Yep US has all kinds of money to buy planes and that is why GECAS is gonna pull the financing, open your eyes and meddle in ALPA's affairs that concerns you, not the IAM!

They can close PIT if they want, we have an arbitration award which you have been told about at least 100 times called the Dunsford award which is legal and binding that the company cannot close down a facility to circumvent the IAM mechanic and related contract.

Kinda of funny how you keep posting the same WRONG information time after time after time, wake up and realize what the truth is, not your fantasy world.

I'm going to say this once and only once:

If you want to discuss IAM and those issues, do it in an IAM thread. Do NOT turn yet ANOTHER thread into an A320 v. 700UW bitchfest over the IAM arbitration.

It has been discussed to death.

If you fail to heed this warning, you'll get some time off to plan your next vacation.

No problem Bill, but when he posts wrong information I will call him out and show the whole board where he is wrong like usual!

700UW, I wanted to answer you about the Chapter 11 talk in another topic that was for some reason that topic became locked. The company can indeed file a "Pre-packaged Chapter 11" as long as they have the permission of the ATSB board. I think if the company doesn't get what it wants it's going to come to that.