Trip Report-First Trip on Airtran (LGA-ATL-SAV and Back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
I am posting my trip report which I posted on the FFOCUS board for your consideration. Although I had lowered expectations on Air Tran, they seemed to be operationally better than US, while offering an inferior premium service product (imagine F/C product worse than US!!).

I post this not to be critical, but to compare to some of the other experiences some of you have had on FL.

For the record, the R/T airfare on this trip was $750....

FL 359 25 April LGA-ATL/FL 546 25 April ATL-SAV

As I indicated elsewhere, I had occasion to try Airtran recently, which was my first time (and probably the last). I had lowered expectations, but on the first leg, at least, they performed even lower...

After getting home last evening from SEA, I had a brief respite, got to unpack/repack, and woke up at 3:45AM to start off to LGA for my 6AM flight. Realizing that my boarding pass (seat 12C) said zone 7, I believed that by the time I got to board, the overhead space might be gone, so on a whim, I checked at the ticket counter, and they offered me an "upgrade" to Business Class for $60. I took it on the first leg, but not the second.

Through LGA security, which was not too bad this morning on the B finger, I went down to the end of the terminal, B8, and they were just beginning to board...45 minutes prior to departure. I got on board, and was greeted by two young ladies who appeared to have last worked at Terminal F in PHL (no offense), found my seat, and got settled in. At NO time did anyone offer to hang a jacket, but eventually one did come through and asked bruskly if we would like a predeparture beverage (the more accurate wording was something like "Y'all wanna drink before we go?"). OK, a little rough but not terrible--for Bob's sake at least we did get a predeparture beverage.
The door was closed and we pushed back 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure.....even faster than US. Since it was before 6AM, we taxied out, and were number 1 by the time we got to the runway. A minute later, we were climbing out over New Jersey on a beautiful morning. Now there is a point in the LGA departure, that we almost always level off at 12000 feet somewhere near Newark airport, and today was no exception....EXCEPT that a few miles later, we began to climb again, then the engines went almost to idle, and we actually descened a few hundred feet--my guess being they were about to blow through an altitude restriction.

Once we reached a cruising altitude, at the point where the beverage service should have begun (well it did for about half the biz cabin), the two toddlers in the front cabin started screaming. It appears that beverages were offered to the right side of the airplane, but then they forgot about my side and just went in the back to do the coach service. AND when they came back forward, all three gathered in the galley and couldn't be bothered to offer refills, although they did bring a snack basket to 3 or 4 of 12 passengers in the front.

I did everything short of ringing the F/A call button in an attempt to get a cup of coffee, but was unable to do so. Finally I gave up and shut my eyes for a while. And when they did finally come to our row, they ignored my seatmate and me and cleared the trash.

We landed about 1/2 hour early, and got to the gate, and I just kept my mouth shut, got off the plane and went to the next gate.

After 40 minutes or so, the inbound making the connection arrived, and they did turn it in about 25 minutes. We got on board, with me in row 27 this time, settled in, and I prepared to enjoy my first ride on a 717. Unfortunately being so far back I was 2 rows ahead of the engine itself, and it was L O U D back there. That however turned out to be the worst of it for this flight.

Once aloft, THIS crew proceeded to to what amounted to a full beverage service--I was finally able to get my coffee, and mini biscoffs (as opposed to NOTHING to eat or drink on the preceeding flight), and watched the scenery for the brief 40 minute flight to SAV.
Another early arrival and an announcement from the F/A that we should applaud as this was the co pilot's first landing (smartly said AFTER we were on the ground). To the gate for another early arrival, and the jetway driver MIA again, but he showed eventually.

After thinking about this experience on my hour drive to Hilton Head, I decided it was worth a call to Airtran Customer Relations. I got through with minimal wait, explained the situation to an agent, who asked me to hold while he created a report, then came on and thanked me for bringing the matter to their attention (no offer was made for anything but then again I didn't act like I was looking for something).

On the bright side, all flights were early, and I had to call back to Res to change my return from Sunday morning to tomorrow evening, and THAT experience went MUCH better than expected. It was easy, the agent was helpful, and because I had to buy the Business Class fare again they waived the change fee (which made it cost neutral ).

The return shall follow immediately below.....but it's interesting-better service in coach than in Biz Class, and I achieved the impossible-I found a premium class of service actually worse than that offered by US Airways......

FL 31 26 April SAV-ATL/FL358 26 April ATL-LGA

As it turns out, the conference I was attending ended earlier on Saturday afternoon than originally thought--so I was able to change my return flights from Sunday morning to Saturday evening--I recounted that experience on the previous thread. As I had said there, all they had available was their "business class" for the return, but it turned out to be relatively cost neutral, so I did it.

I drove from Hilton Head to Savannah in just under an hour, filled the rental car and returned it--SAV is such a nice little airport...went to the kiosk to print my boarding passes, having checked in on line from the hotel, and stopped to ask the check in agent a question regarding ATL ground stops which showed on the FAA page. She was not aware of any issues, so off I went through security, getting through in about 90 seconds (quiet day at SAV).

They do have a club at SAV, but it is a courtesy of the airport, and not run by any airline. They admit members of all the airline clubs whose line serves SAV, PLUS the Amex Platinum card. It's a tiny club room but it is nice, and the attendant is very pleasant. Unfortunately what it was not during my visit was quiet--there was a group of 4 men traveling to Houston who were whooping it up, and keeping the bartender hopping (bartender is from the public bar adjacent, and serves through a service window). Somehow I got involved in the laughter, and they tried to buy me a drink but I passed.....and it got quiet once they left. It was funny though....

Like a good passenger I headed off to the gate and discovered the flight would be delayed-no reason given. It was at this point I discovered that the gate agents are not employed by Airtran at all, but by the airport--so they contract out ALL ground handling at SAV, including customer service...I believe that's a first for me. The lady was, however, very sharp, and very good at using SABRE (yes Airtran actually uses SABRE!). I made a pleasant inquiry about connections and she said they had moved the flight's arrival gate at ATL to the same concourse as most of the connections so we would all be okay. I shared Flight Tracker data with her, and she said she uses it too....and that SABRE has a tracker as well.

I will say they appeared well prepared for a delayed flight--the agent mentioned they would use a process called "Last Off First On" meaning that boarding would begin IMMEDIATELY after the last passenger got off the plane. She began to line up Zones 1-3 and as soon as the last wheel chair was off we began to board. She had also mentioned to people that it would be good if they took their books and other required materials out of the baggage before boarding as it would enable them to get out of the aisles faster...

In contrast to the first flight the day before, this crew was relatively attentive, even during boarding. I have come to the conclusion that Airtran does not hang coats (maybe they don't have hangars), because it was 0 for 3 on that amenity, but this crew managed predeparture beverages despite being delayed.

We wound up departing 42 minutes behind schedule, but it was a straight shot out to the runway, and then we were on our way. The flight was uneventful, yet they managed a full beverage service in both cabins with only 40 minutes air time....and before we knew it we were on the approach to ATL. Once on the ground, we had a relatively short taxi to the gate, and arrived at the gate only 27 minutes behind schedule..I am almost sure they pad the schedules like US, but they do try to be off the gate 10 minutes before scheduled departure, which I am sure helps too--to the dismay of late arriving passengers.

Having arrived at C3, I made my way to C21 for the LGA connection. The inbound had just arrived, and the gate area was full of people making this flight. You could tell this flight was going to NY--a mix of urban characters and "beautiful people" at the gate.

Around 40 minutes prior to sched, they began boarding. This flight was FULL. Boarding was uneventful, a predeparture beverage was offered and accepted, and again, we were pushing back about 7 minutes ahead of scheduled departure. ATL wasn't too busy for a Saturday night, so we taxied out to 27R and were in the air within 10 minutes of pushback. It was somewhat unusual for a NY bound flight to use 27R for departure--they usually have northbounds depart from the 26's because they are on the north side of the airport. In any case off we went.......

We had climbed all the way to cruising altitude before the flight attendants even began to think about service--as with the outbound flight, they chose to have their little conference in the galley for about 25 minutes before thinking of taking care of passengers. They must have figured they had the time, since it was 1h41m scheduled. In this case, however, it got pretty turbulent in the midst of the service and the seat belt sign came on for quite a while--and at one point I thought the captain would seat the flight attendants, but that did not happen.

Once the service was done, they DID make a second pass through the Biz cabin, and this time I got to see what was in the snack basket--it was similar to US but with only a couple of choices--granola bars, potato chips and 2 types of cookie.

We began our descent a little early, I guess due to LGA, although again it was not very busy there. There had been weather along our entire route of flight, so I would imagine that had something to do with it as well. We descended through the clouds, proceeded up the Hudson, and turned right onto the approach to RY 22 at LGA. We landed about 10 minutes ahead of schedule and taxied right to the gate, arriving 6 minutes early.

Getting on the parkway at LGA, I discovered that a serious accident had just occurred in front of the US terminal on the Grand Central, so I sat in traffic for about 45 minutes before being able to get past it (welcome to NY). I finally made it home, and fell asleep in record time.....

A couple of observations--while the service was hit or miss, and I don't want to be politically incorrect, it did appear that the worst of the service was offered by folks who had worked at Terminal F in PHL....and who appeared to have the Philly 'tude as well. That said, I had expected little more than I got, and although I don't think I would use Airtran again, they did fulfill the contract of carriage.......they promised no more and delivered no more.

Im glad you had a safe trip but I am saddened it was not on US. I hope your trvls continue to be safe and 1 day you will be back "at home" with US. Mama

QA,

I would not classify it as miserable, however, I would classify it as disappointing, especially for the price paid. As I said, operationally they were far better than US, they were proactive when a problem arose, and they were early on three of four legs. The inconsistency of the service, however, was disappointing, although it is probably NOT a priority for them. I don't think they care about attracting premium customers, but then again, they are a true LCC...and it shows.

If AirTran does not have hangars, where do they service their airplanes? ;)
OK Folks, time to clear the Mystery.... the aircraft do not have closets to hang coats, therefore 'No Hangers' needed. As for servicing aircraft, a 'Hangar' is not needed, but we have 2 of them. One in ATL & one in MCO. As for US Stew and the 'Air Trash' comment, Thanks, how nice of you. I could call your airline something as well but what would be the point? Lastly, to Art, I understand your disappointment, as I have seen what you have, and have to agree with you on that point of 'Service Lacking', shall we say? It's not often, but when it's there, it's not enjoyable. About the $price$ you paid, I don't know. I looked up the exact itinerary today for a flight R/T, next week, and it was over $200 cheaper. Art, if we lost you as a future customer, so be it. I'm glad you made it safely home and can fly again some day. Take care, QA

OK Folks, time to clear the Mystery.... the aircraft do not have closets to hang coats, therefore 'No Hangers' needed. As for servicing aircraft, a 'Hangar' is not needed, but we have 2 of them. One in ATL & one in MCO. As for US Stew and the 'Air Trash' comment, Thanks, how nice of you. I could call your airline something as well but what would be the point? Lastly, to Art, I understand your disappointment, as I have seen what you have, and have to agree with you on that point of 'Service Lacking', shall we say? It's not often, but when it's there, it's not enjoyable. About the $price$ you paid, I don't know. I looked up the exact itinerary today for a flight R/T, next week, and it was over $200 cheaper. Art, if we lost you as a future customer, so be it. I'm glad you made it safely home and can fly again some day. Take care, QA
Q, You are a class act! Mama

You don't need a closet to hang coats. More than one airline has installed hooks behind the last row of seats, just for this purpose. Just a thought.

You don't need a closet to hang coats. More than one airline has installed hooks behind the last row of seats, just for this purpose. Just a thought.
Thanks for the idea and I'll pass it on. There's not a whole lot of room there but I'm sure Engineering will get out the slide rule, call in a Surveying company and have Boeing write a tome on how to install 'Hooks'. Another day in Aviation Paradise B)

Actually, it wasn't a big deal, just an observation. As I said, I might have been nitpicking a little, but for $850 r/t (J) I expected a little more, especially from the first leg.

QA, thanks for your insight and information--I doubt I will try FL again, but one never knows. Coach was absolutely uncomfortable in the one leg in back of the 717.

Also--in my opinion, those paying higher fares (let's say M or higher) should get access to exit rows free--they are always profitable fares--you might want to pass that idea along--

Thanks

Actually, it wasn't a big deal, just an observation. As I said, I might have been nitpicking a little, but for $850 r/t (J) I expected a little more, especially from the first leg.

QA, thanks for your insight and information--I doubt I will try FL again, but one never knows. Coach was absolutely uncomfortable in the one leg in back of the 717.

Also--in my opinion, those paying higher fares (let's say M or higher) should get access to exit rows free--they are always profitable fares--you might want to pass that idea along--

Thanks
Art

Sorry your trip(s) weren't up to your expectations. After reading your posts, I had a few thoughts that might help clear some things up.

Our F/As don't offer to hang coats because we don't have closets. I think if asked, they are instructed to advise pax that the only available space is in the o/h compartment, which is obviously an unwise decision on fuller flts. Installing a row of hangars behind the last row of a 717 is out of the question (unless seats are removed, something management will never do), as the distance between the seatback and the rear bulkhead is about .00001273 micrometers. ATL-SAV is the shortest flt. (that I know of) that we operate. I think the F/As have some sort of instruction in their manual about abbreviated service if flt. time is less than 40? minutes, which is not unusual on ATL-SAV. I have, however, had good cabin crews do full service on this route (117 pax on a 717) with a little time to spare. I've also had unmotivated cabin crews that seemingly couldn't serve 20 pax on a 14 hr. flt. Having flown as a pax on several airlines, and having had conversations with friends/relatives who are employees of other airlines, I've come to the opinion that every airline has unmotivated and unprofessional employees in every dept. Our airline is no exception, and all I can do as an employee, is say, "I'm sorry". I can only think of a few reasons for the lack of service on a longer flt. If the flt. crew was told to expect turbulence, they might tell the cabin crew to "remain seated until further notice". Sometimes the predicted turbulence never occurs, and to the pax, this appears as laziness on the F/A's part. Also, as a pilot, I've been guilty of forgetting the "further notice" part. I can't think of any excuse for one side of a cabin to be served and the other not served, other than plain forgetfullness. As many unprofessional and unfriendly F/As as I know (and to any F/As reading this: yes, I know just as many or more pilots that are that way), I don't know of one that would intentionally, without reason, not serve a pax. In the split second that he/she looked at you, you might have had your eyes momentarily closed, and they assumed you were sleeping. If that is true, it obviously doesn't excuse not checking on you later, especially considering that this wasn't a short flt.

You implied that due to what you felt/heard, the pilots almost had/had an altitude deviation. Not being in the cockpit (nor were you), neither one of us can say why you felt/heard what you did. On the plane I fly (717) the autopilot sometimes levels off from a climb (at a light weight, and therefore a slower climb speed with a higher angle of attack) at what feels like -5 g's, and my last two meals make an attempt to come back up and say hello. Our 737s actually takeoff (sometimes) at less power than they climb at. This increase in power, from t/o pwr. to climb pwr., usually happens at a lower altitude than you described (within a minute or two after wheels up), but it can give the impression that the flt. crew screwed up and used the wrong power setting for takeoff (seems like more power should be used for t/o, as it's a more critical phase of flt., right?). On your flt., if an error was made, it could have just as easily been a controller error as a pilot error. As a pilot (who's supposed to know what all the little noises and bumps are that you hear and feel in the back), I wouldn't make the assumption that you did.

The 717 is a little noisy in back (I say a little because it's damn quiet compared to an older, original, "real" DC-9). But, if you're sitting in business class during takeoff, you'll swear we forgot to start the engines. The 717 is also fairly quiet at the wing area, whereas the 737 (to me anyway) is loud everywhere except the first and last few rows.

You questioned why an ATL-LGA flt. took off on rwy 27R. They always have (at least since I've been flying out of ATL {16 yrs.}). Which runway you take off from depends on the 1st fix, or navigational point, on your flt. plan, not including the std. instrument departure proceedure. Long story short, the 1st fix for LGA is ENE of ATL, and almost all of the time, E and S departures (fixes, not destinations) take off from 27R/9L. N and W fixes takeoff from 26L/8R. During departure delays, wx delays, and sometimes when it just feels right, all of that can change (in addition to using 10/28 for takeoff, which is like driving to Macon before taking off).

Your suggestion about exit row seating is (I think) already in effect. For an extra charge, you can get that exit row seat, priority boarding, check an extra bag, talk to a real live reservations agent, breathe air, and any of a number of things that used to/should be free, but aren't anymore.

Lastly, I think that for anyone to reasonably know what to expect when flying on AirTran, you would have to understand that our airline (like many/most others) has internal forces, otherwise known as middle management working constantly, although unknowingly, to thwart other departments. The catering dept. doesn't give a rat's ass if my crew has enough snacks/drinks to do service for 3 flts. in a row (if I'm not going to a station with catering). Their "mission", according to them, is to cater the aircraft as if it's going to an outstation and right back to ATL. Telling them it'll be 3 flts. before you're catered again, showing them a printout of your schedule, thereby proving to them that what you're saying is true, is like explaining quantum physics to your dog: their head cocks off on a 45 degree angle, while they make that Scooby-Doo-like "huh"?, sound. They've been told by their supervisor how much stuff to put on, and nothing you say ("What about our customers?; you know, the people who pay our salaries???) is going to change that.

Some of our gate agents would board their next flt. 2 weeks prior to scheduled departure time if they had an aircraft and the required number of F/As. When I tell them that the average person wouldn't want to sit in a coach seat for 1 second more than is necessary, seeing as how that same person has forked out big $ for the "privilege" of sitting in that same seat for the next 5 hrs. from ATL-SEA, I sometimes get the "talk-to-the-hand, cause-the-gate-agent-don't-want-to-hear-it" treatment. Their "mission", according to their supervisor, is to board the aircraft as soon as possible, because 9 years ago, an agent got in trouble when a flt. left 1 minute late due to "late boarding".

Our airline has a "mission statement", something along the lines of "providing a safe, convienient, efficient, travel experience to innovative people" (help me out here QA!!!). But if you ask a typical gate agent what their mission is, it's "to board the aircraft as quickly as possible and get those irritating, always-asking-questions, people out of my hair". If you ask the caterer, it's "to give you enough stuff to get you where you're going and back, as long as it's no more than what I've been told to give you." If you ask the cleaner, it's "no hablo engles". They answer this way because it's what their supervisor told them (except for the cleaner; he was told to say "I don't speak English", and he's still working on it).

We have employees like this because it's how they've been trained. That's not an excuse (there is none), but a reason why some people behave like they do. I've always thought it would be a good idea if each employee was required, as part of new hire training, to tag along with employees from different departments so we could see what the others have to do, thereby gaining a greater understanding of what goes on, other than what we see with our own eyes. I can assure you that if my First Officers had to work 3 different gates at the same time (like our rampers) in ATL, and off load 450 bags and 6 wheelchairs, then turn around and upload the same amount, all in 35 minutes, they wouldn't ask as we're pulling into the gate area, "I wonder why that ramper isn't sprinting like Carl Lewis to flag us in???".

When I encounter fellow employees that have their own "departmental mission", I try to explain my "philosophy of airlines" to them: this (the airline industry) has been around for almost 100 years. We didn't invent it, we've seen good ways to do things, and we've seen bad ways to do things. Remember and do the good things; remember and don't do the bad things. Don't try to reinvent the wheel every time you come to work. Joe Passenger wants to get from A to B, safely, with the bag they brought and all of its contents intact, on time, and treated with a modicum of respect. If you do that, on a regular basis, you'll have a customer, and therefore a job (if you want it) for life.

There are obviously many more things that go into running an airline, but that's what I see wrong. We don't tend to look at the overall "big picture". We have a bunch of "little pictures" that we try to piece together. When I'm at work, I can only control my own "little piece" (safety and schedule). With scheduled flt. times at a bare bones minimum and 30 minutes to get everyone and everything off, then back on again, if we're on time, I consider that a victory. In some ways that attitude ("Hey, we're on time. Whadda want???) is sad, but that's what the industry is now. My apologies to you for your experience.

Great post Citrus.... That pretty much spells out about how I feel at times. The Mission Statement is this: If found, drop in any mail.... wait... "Innovative people dedicated to delivering the best flying experience to smart travelers. Every day". Now. alot of us think that way and are innovated but there are a few that are un-motivated and this is where we have a problem. I think if you went to each and every Airline, as well as any service oriented company and about anywhere on the planet, you'll find the same thing. I also inquired about possibly installing 'Hooks" at the Bulkheads for Coats and was about told to take an 'Eternal Lunch Break' and asked if I was 'applying for a session on Dr Phil'! Art, from your first post until your last, the price went up $100..... I understand inflation is bad but man, you already took the trip, so how did it rise afterwards? In closing, let me just say this. We are a LCC, nothing more and nothing less. You expected lower and you got lower. We won't apologize for that but we will for people not doing what they are supposed to do. If, for some reason you happen to end up on a flight with us again, I hope to be seated next to you. I'll be damn sure you get the coffee and extra snacks.

QA :)

QA,

By the time I changed my return flights, the prices crept up from $690 to $750 including the one way upgrade, and then $100 for the fare difference to Biz on the return as that was the only class of service available. So what started out at $690 or so ended up at $850. I hope that explains the fare difference.

Citrus, thank you for a most thoughtful post. Let me clarify, that the in flight service I had issue with was a 737 between LGA and ATL, it was not ATL-SAV or vice versa. To have one half of the premium cabin totally ignored just does not cut it, especially since the upgrade was paid for, and on the return full business class was purchased.

My comment regarding the exit rows requires some clarification. I originally booked an M fare, which is one of the highest of the coach fares. My suggestion was that at M or higher, the exit rows should be offered at NO additional charge since the price is already somewhat of a premium. I understand they offer exit rows for sale, but at a certain fare level, exit rows should be complimentary. If they have to nickel and dime you for $20 they are charging too little on the low end.

EVERY airline has issues--believe me--I am a 7 year Chairmans Preferred on US, and was the leading advocate for them until a year ago. I actually think that the FL model is what US aspires to but again, without the low costs. The difference is that despite the disappointment in the service and product, FL seems to be much more operationally together than US....

Status
Not open for further replies.