Trump Tax Cuts

Otherwise all the farmers would want to grow is low maintenance high yield crops. There is also the benefit of expanded dietary options to the general public.

But we are paying them to grow corn to make ethanol and high fructose corn syrup. Why not pay for sugar cane or beets, which produce more ethanol than corn? Why subsidize ethanol at all? There was a HUGE outcry about "wasteful spending" on solyndra and solar power....why are you willing to give a pass to "corn power"?

Last edited:
Otherwise all the farmers would want to grow is low maintenance high yield crops. There is also the benefit of expanded dietary options to the general public.
If everyone grew low maintenance high yield crops we would have a large supply for the demand and I would bet price would go down and not as much money to be made on them. Other crops that are low yield high maintenance would be more scarce and price should go up allowing the farmer to make some bucks.

Do you want the government regulating everything? What next? Christmas tree farms?

follow the money/lobbyists
But that's my point....we (and Iowa and Nebraska) have senators and representatives that have been representing us for DECADES and voting FOR farm subsidies...yet folks in all 3 states ***** about "wasteful spending". To THEM, that spending isn't wasteful. To someone in NYC, it is. We'll never get anywhere with spending, lobbyists or not, unless WE are willing to say "quit spending money on US". And IMHO - that'll never happen.

To a young millennial just out of college with an MBA, hoping to make it in today's world, what does she have to say about farm subsidies and the leave it to beaver lifestyle?

If everyone grew low maintenance high yield crops we would have a large supply for the demand and I would bet price would go down and not as much money to be made on them. Other crops that are low yield high maintenance would be more scarce and price should go up allowing the farmer to make some bucks.

Do you want the government regulating everything? What next? Christmas tree farms?
I just don't think the market correction formula is a good idea for crops.

I am very conservative on most things but this is not one of them.

I just don't think the market correction formula is a good idea for crops.

I am very conservative on most things but this is not one of them.
I guess we just disagree. I am not a big fan of government choosing what gets grown. I am also not a fan of corporate welfare. Artificially propping up an industry or product could lead to fraud and abuse. Competition in the marketplace i believe leads to innovation and better products. Why find a better more efficient way to grow crops or make something when the government is guarenteeing you always win.

I wish the government was involved when I was dating in high school.

Last edited:
I guess we just disagree. I am not a big fan of government choosing what gets grown. I am also not a fan of corporate welfare. Artificially propping up an industry or product could lead to fraud and abuse. Competition in the marketplace i believe leads to innovation and better products. Why find a better more efficient way to grow crops or make something when the government is guarenteeing you always win.

I wish the government was involved when I was dating in high school.

This is what I find a bit odd...conservatives are against welfare of any sort...welfare queens and corporate welfare. But they don't view farm subsidies as welfare. Seems like we grow corn so the government can mandate that gasoline companies have to blend ethanol with gasoline.

I don't know what everyone is worried about:

"People said I want to go and buy debt and default on debt, and I mean, these people are crazy. This is the United States government," Trump told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day." "First of all, you never have to default because you print the money, I hate to tell you, OK?"

We'll just print more money...:p

I don't know what everyone is worried about:

"People said I want to go and buy debt and default on debt, and I mean, these people are crazy. This is the United States government," Trump told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day." "First of all, you never have to default because you print the money, I hate to tell you, OK?"

We'll just print more money...:p

Yep....that's the ticket.

kicking-can.jpg

One day, He will just tweet that he has decided that the USA is no longer going to pay anyone for anything.

I'm sure it will be fine.

It's only a concern when a democrat does it. When a republican.....or a "business genius" (who went bankrupt how many times)...it's considered brilliant.

Babe Ruth struck out more than he homered and did quite fine.

One day, He will just tweet that he has decided that the USA is no longer going to pay anyone for anything.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Just hope there doesn't come a bunch of T bills in for redemption.

Latest posts