TWU and IAM representation alliance vote

Will you vote in a TWU and IAM representation alliance? (A/C maint. only)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYer said:

AMFA fought at Northwest. Results? I know, I know. It wasn't AMFA's fault.

Fighting in bankruptcies is exactly how to get leverage to make gains. Absolutely, hey and when the contract is abrogated, then we can strike. (except that's illegal).

Some of you should learn from history what is and what isn't possible. Then again, AMFA (I assume) fights like hell for their Members. The fact that Alaska and Southwest (who have not been in BK) allow outsourcing in their contracts, must mean they haven't gotten to the point where fighting makes the difference. Is it that they need the AA Members before they fight or have they learned their lesson with NWA. You probably know that history more than me.
And when was the last time you heard the word STRIKE from the TWU?
Hell, they don't even know the word RETRO.

Reactions: 2 people
NYer said:

Also due to 9/11, industry consolidation, two economic downturns, higher oil prices, and the MRO's that hire thousands upon thousands of mechanics while those unionized spend their days changing unions rather than organizing the non-union shops.
Is the TWU trying to organize the domestic MRO's? 

Reactions: 1 person
NYer said:

AMFA represented over 20,000 at their height. They're down to 10% of that total. (must be the TWU's fault). By 2003, "AMFA, “The little union that could” represented 3 of the top 5 and half of the top 10 major Airlines in the United States."

What happened? Was it Little, Videtich, Gless, Judge Lane, the Fleet President's....How could AMFA possible fall, I mean, they must've fought like hell.
No, but it is because of the names mentioned why we want different representation.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I know the history since I lived it. I struck while your worthless union continued to fly on NWA along with your wannabe alliance partner taking the struck work. NWA was not in bankruptcy when we struck.

You are completely clueless about what actually transpired at NWA. Did you walk the picket line with us? Or are you one of those that does not consider AMFA worthy of support. I have news for you. The lack of support for AMFA while we were on strike is why Mechanics wages are where they are today at the legacy airlines. POS like you want to cling to that old dirty security blanket even as it is shredded to peices.
What do you expect from NYer and his pro TWU supporters. Their workgroups have done better compared to their airline peers than the rest of us. 
At least AMFA had the balls to take action. That is more than I can say for the TWU. 
All I have heard from the TWU over the years is "They can do that brother!"   "We'll get em next time."  "We can't ask for a snapback or retro because we don't want to hurt the company."

MetalMover said:
And the TWU and the alliance is going to change this.....HOW?  Strength in numbers?

First thing is to get the table and take advantage of the profits, low oil prices, which have been a hindrance in the past. Last we need now is to create another delay by bickering over which capital letters are better.

MetalMover said:
What do you expect from NYer and his pro TWU supporters. Their workgroups have done better compared to their airline peers than the rest of us. 
At least AMFA had the balls to take action. That is more than I can say for the TWU. 
All I have heard from the TWU over the years is "They can do that brother!"   "We'll get em next time."  "We can't ask for a snapback or retro because we don't want to hurt the company."

Hey, if the track record of AMFA "having balls" and fighting (not winning mind you, but fighting) is appealing then by all means get those cards signed. There is a terrific window of opportunity to get it done. This might be the best chance in the past 53 years to finally get AMFA in. Get those cards signed. Good luck.

NYer said:

Hey, if the track record of AMFA "having balls" and fighting (not winning mind you, but fighting) is appealing then by all means get those cards signed. There is a terrific window of opportunity to get it done. This might be the best chance in the past 53 years to finally get AMFA in. Get those cards signed. Good luck.
Don't worry fleet service will do fine without the mechanics!

Again why do you care what the mechanics do? Please tell me!

Reactions: 2 people
The IAM members at NWA did not fair to well either now did they. DELTA did not want any unions so it would not have mattered WHO was the union they would have been gone too. 

MetalMover said:
Don't worry fleet service will do fine without the mechanics!

Again why do you care what the mechanics do? Please tell me!

A unionist cares for their fellow unionist. It doesn't matter if I'm a mechanics, stores, facilities, GSE or fleet worker. We all get stronger when we share information. The goal of these pages is to share information in order to make ourselves better, not just to have one side of the story and being sheep. I'm sure you'd agree with that.

TRAVIS said:
The IAM members at NWA did not fair to well either now did they. DELTA did not want any unions so it would not have mattered WHO was the union they would have been gone too. 

If the mechanics at NWA wouldn't have gone on strike, they wouldn't have been permanently replaced (most of them, some crossed the line a a few others were re-hired at lower rates and benefits) and there could have been a chance to unionize another group of mechanics which would have been good for everyone. They overreached and lost.

Hey, but they fought....So I guess they won.

NYer said:

A unionist cares for their fellow unionist. It doesn't matter if I'm a mechanics, stores, facilities, GSE or fleet worker. We all get stronger when we share information. The goal of these pages is to share information in order to make ourselves better, not just to have one side of the story and being sheep. I'm sure you'd agree with that.
The AMFA drive is about mechanics..No one else.. Why do you care what we do or who we choose?

NYer said:

Ah. A Conservative. That explains many things.

So, the solution to gain for AMT's is to change to AMFA? It seems our friends at AMFA and Southwest have figured out some of that. Let's look at the numbers shall we.....AMFA has about 2250 members in SWA (including the 500 from Aittran) to service 683 aircraft. American Airlines has 627 mainline aircraft and about 7800 mechanics.
Still wrong on your numbers sir.  And AA is just overstaffed.  Too many heads per A/C.  And I believe there is another reduction coming to the Tulsa base is this still in the works?

MetalMover said:
I get to vote on EACH and EVERY AMFA leader. Can you say the same for the TWU? Did you have a say in any international appointment?
You also get to sit in on every and all nego's meetings (not just contracts nego),  YOU also have a say how much your local union can spend each and every month, YOU also will have a say so on how to integrate seniority in the merger, YOU will have a say who is voted into the National officer positions and if they get to keep those positions thru-out their stay, YOU get a say in everything your local National does that affects ANY changes to any part of the contract, YOU have a say who will be on all the individual commitees within each local as well as at the National level, YOU will have a say on what is in YOUR by-laws of governing, YOU will have a say on what is outsourced and what is not.  I could go on and on, and most of you know this.  AMFA is hands down way better than any of the industrial unions put together, even these two trying to form this alliance will be worse than both sides have currently, mark my words, the worst is yet to come if this alliance goes thru.  And it's pretty obvious when you have TWU local leaders fighting the alliance from the inside as well as other TWU representitives stating how bad it will get.  You guys are in for dose of reality if this alliance goes thru...

TRAVIS said:
Yes.  And at least AMFA has the proud distinction of saying they have never crossed a unionized picket or strike line period.  All the other industrial unions have done this, period...

Over 11 weeks and still no ruling yet.  They are taking too much time to deal with the craft and classes that to me, it looks like the alliance is going thru as they are spending so much time on catagorizing everybody from the two airlines and groups.  As we all knew this would be a mess as both sides are ran differently by the 2 different unions that are combining.  AMFA get ready, they still may very well order that an election is in fact in order for this alliance to press forward.  And I still say once the announcement is made and if the NMB blesses the alliance to go forward and orders a vote to happen, then AMFA will get ambushed with last minute cards.  The alliance unions will do their dabmnest to creat the absolute smallest window allowed to collect cards during the waiting period, which I think is 30 as a norm, just maybe, AMFA could ask for more time since they are including IAM members into the numbers (IF ruled as such).  It's gonna get interesting what really comes out of this ruling, but all of you at both airlines better pray there is a vote and this thing is not forced upon you guys.  Good luck to all involved.  Don't give up guys.  This will be the one.  Keep those cards coming in as the time is approaching to kick it in...

Status
Not open for further replies.