U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson has a message for US Airways

Status
Not open for further replies.

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/04/13/texas-senator-dont-mess-with-american-airlines/

GET OFF MY PLANE

“Completing this essential step is in the best interests of American’s employees, creditors, and the communities served by American Airlines,” she said about the bankruptcy. Any merger discussions can occur when the bankruptcy court has cleared the process by which American can emerge from court supervision.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2012/04/13/texas-senator-dont-mess-with-american-airlines/

I seem to remember a similar situation when a Wisconsin politician was trying to discourage Air Tran from buying Midwest.....How did that turn out for Milwaukee's hometown airline?

Same held true with NW, and the state of MN. Politicians poking their noses into business. Spend some time cutting taxes if you are looking for something to do. As I stated in another thread, if a merger were to occur I don't see Hdq leaving her precious state. Where does she stand on the Mtc jobs that her state may be losing to other countrys?

Reactions: 1 person
Same held true with NW, and the state of MN. Politicians poking their noses into business. Spend some time cutting taxes if you are looking for something to do. As I stated in another thread, if a merger were to occur I don't see Hdq leaving her precious state. Where does she stand on the Mtc jobs that her state may be losing to other countrys?

Reminds me of when retired House Transportation Committee Chairmen James Oberstar, D-Minn stuck his noise in the proposed US/UA merger. Thanks to his efforts it failed and United ended up in bankruptcy court a few months later, were United had to dumped her defined pensions and the United employees were royally screwed. He was protecting NW at the time. If the Government would stay the heII away from this industry it would sort itself out and the employees would make out better in the long run????

If the Government would stay the heII away from this industry it would sort itself out and the employees would make out better in the long run????

You mean like having bankruptcy laws that allow airlines to restructure, changing those laws to prevent another Lorenzo from just rejecting a labor agreement like any other agreement, or passing a law to govern integration of employee groups in a merger???

Jim

It appears that Tom Horton is pulling out all stops to prevent Doug Parker from influencing the UCC and AA's unions from supporting US Airways' desired takeover of American Airlines. Not only did Horton presumably have his Chief Pilot write a letter, which was provided to the news media, he has contacted some of the company's congressional delegation too.

However, it appears at least one American union sees things different.

According to the Star-Telegram, American Airlines' pilots union accused management Wednesday of a "publicity stunt" for a memo written by the carrier's vice president of flight that contended that pilots are skeptical about a takeover bid from US Airways.

"Our take is, for whatever reason, American Airlines management feels threatened by US Airways management," said Gregg Overman, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association.

He said union President David Bates has seen the memo, written by John Hale.

Overman noted that the current industry landscape does not support some of Hale's assertions, particularly if one looks at the operational performance of American and US Airways.

For example, US Airways has outperformed American in metrics such as on-time performance and baggage handling, Overman said.

In my opinion, Doug Parker is gaining traction with the UCC and AA's unions, which is why Horton appears to be more-and-more threatened by US Airways management.

It must be getting awfully hot in AMR's "executive suite" trying to keep your job and earn millions of dollars in management restructuring compensation/bonus payments.

Reactions: 2 people
Reminds me of when retired House Transportation Committee Chairmen James Oberstar, D-Minn stuck his noise in the proposed US/UA merger. Thanks to his efforts it failed and United ended up in bankruptcy court a few months later, were United had to dumped her defined pensions and the United employees were royally screwed. He was protecting NW at the time. If the Government would stay the heII away from this industry it would sort itself out and the employees would make out better in the long run????

Yes, that's the guy...
I was trying to remember who it was. There are plenty of other issues that these politicians should be concerned about other than the Airlines.
It's nothing more than grandstanding as a favor to one of their campaign contributing airline cronies....

Yes, that's the guy...
I was trying to remember who it was. There are plenty of other issues that these politicians should be concerned about other than the Airlines.
It's nothing more than grandstanding as a favor to one of their campaign contributing airline cronies....

Ah Yes James Oberstar the EX-Congressman from the Iron Range. Brought the NW Duluth pork barrel MTC facility ti fruition. They had a Tea Party in his district in 2010 and sadly the poor B*stard lost!

Ms Hutchinson is AA's version of Oberstar.

Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson is a Republican who only takes the side of the American Airlines executives with their corrupt lavish lifestyles and the employees of American be damned.

She has NEVER been an advocate for the working class.

Reactions: 3 people
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson is a Republican who only takes the side of the American Airlines executives with their corrupt lavish lifestyles and the employees of American be damned.

She has NEVER been an advocate for the working class.

Is a Politician who "gives" you a program that by weight it allows you to keep your job and enslaves you into voting for their reelection your friend?

Reminds me of when "retired" House Transportation Committee Chairmen James Oberstar, D-Minn stuck his noise in the proposed US/UA merger. Thanks to his efforts it failed and United ended up in bankruptcy court a few months later, were United dumped her defined pensions and the United employees were royally screwed.

Bet that SOB didn't lose his Congressional defined pension plan when he "was" retired. Kay Bailey Hutchinson's entire retirement plan needs to be set up just like AA's rank in file after BK.

Wait a minute...she's a REPUBLICAN???
Don't GOP members espouse relaxing restrictions and regulations on business?
Aren't they the champions of shareholder returns?
So how does her comments jive with the party manifesto?
She sounds more like a.....a.....DEMOCRAT!
LMAO.
Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people
Wait a minute...she's a REPUBLICAN???
Don't GOP members espouse relaxing restrictions and regulations on business?
Aren't they the champions of shareholder returns?
So how does her comments jive with the party manifesto?
She sounds more like a.....a.....DEMOCRAT!
LMAO.
Cheers.

Ironic isn't it? I guess everyone sounds like a Democrat when they realize they are being ripped off.
Maybe we can donate some money to a congressional campaign in AZ?

Maybe John M will go whip her butt into shape, and she will change her tune. Granted that he may have to go over to Hortons house to find her though.....

You mean like having bankruptcy laws that allow airlines to restructure, changing those laws to prevent another Lorenzo from just rejecting a labor agreement like any other agreement, or passing a law to govern integration of employee groups in a merger???

Jim

Or the NC Congressman(Senator?) that intervened in the FAA's business and helped change the age 60 retirement age?

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts