U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson has a message for US Airways

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/union-asks-politicians-to-keep-quiet-on-bankruptcy-1.1008522

Union asks politicians to keep quiet on bankruptcy

American Airlines union leaders called on politicians to withhold comments that the carrier would be better off if it emerged from bankruptcy on its own

Bloomberg

April 15, 2012

Washington American Airlines union leaders called on politicians to withhold comments that the carrier would be better off if it emerged from bankruptcy on its own.

The unions' joint statement late Saturday followed comments by Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison and Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin. US Airways Group has acknowledged it's assessing a possible bid for AMR's American, and Delta Air Lines also is studying takeover options, people familiar with the matter have said.

American is working to cut annual spending by $2 billion (Dh7.34 billion), including $1.25 billion from labour costs, as it reorganises under court protection. The labour reductions include eliminating more than 13,000 jobs. American has said it wants to remain independent until after emerging from bankruptcy.

"We respectfully request that all stakeholders of American Airlines — including lawmakers and everyone else with a vested interest in the outcome of the restructuring — withhold judgment about any industry consolidation that could involve our airline until all of the facts become known," the unions said in the statement.

Allied Pilots Association President David Bates, Association of Professional Flight Attendants President Laura Glading and Jim Little, international president of the Transport Workers Union, said they were willing to brief Hutchison and Fallin on their efforts "to mitigate or avoid" job cuts proposed by the carrier.

The unions must "examine every possibility" when it comes to protecting the livelihoods and retirement funds of workers, according to the statement.

Jim I could careless what happens with this merger ....
B
Sorry to be the grammar police here. but the phrase "could care less" gets to me. Think about what you are saying: that you could, indeed, care less. What you mean is that you "couldn't care less".

Clichés are especially prone to scrambling because they become meaningless through overuse. In this case an expression which originally meant “it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all” is rendered senseless by being transformed into the now-common “I could care less.” Think about it: if you could care less, that means you care some. The original already drips sarcasm, so it’s pointless to argue that the newer version is “ironic.” People who misuse this phrase are just being careless.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/care.html

Losing jobs in Texas? I heard that the headquarters building there in Arizona was cramped. AMR has a beautiful complex where Parker will have a birdseye view of his new empire...DFW. There are even old runways running by it.

Losing jobs in Texas? I heard that the headquarters building there in Arizona was cramped. AMR has a beautiful complex where Parker will have a birdseye view of his new empire...DFW. There are even old runways running by it.

they have tough DUI laws in Texas don't they?

That could be a deal breaker

Reactions: 2 people
In this thread: people shocked to learn that elected officials have and exercise freedom of speech.

I'm shocked that some "voters" are clueless that candidates rely on contributions to fund their campaigns.

Individual contribution limits for 2011-2012
The following limits apply to contributions from individuals to candidates for all Federal offices.

•$2,500 per Election to a Federal candidate -- Each primary, runoff, and general election counts as a separate election.
•$30,800 per calendar year to a national party committee -- applies separately to a party's national committee, and House and Senate campaign committee.
•$10,000 per calendar year to state, district & local party committees
•$5,000 per calendar year to state, district & local party committee
Aggregate Total -- $117,000 per two-year election cycle as follows:

•$46,200 per two-year cycle to candidates
•$70,800 per two-year cycle to all national party committees and PACs
NOTE: Married couples are considered to be separate individuals with separate contribution limits.

And in TX, Dougie only has 2 DUI's - he's pretty much worn out his welcome in AZ with the breathalyzer.
Cheers.

And in TX, Dougie only has 2 DUI's - he's pretty much worn
out his welcome in AZ with the breathalyzer.
Cheers.

Not to run the DUI thing into the ground.

What bothers me is not so much that he did it (even though he could easily have afforded a cab); it was his being untruthful about how much he'd had to drink.

"A couple of beers". (Hasn't every cop heard that one?) His BAC was at .09. Not falling down drunk, but certainly for than two beers worth for a man of his build. For a 200 lb man to reach .09 would take four to five drinks.

We now, once again, return to the topic. Maybe.

What bothers me is not so much that he did it (even though he could easily have afforded a cab); it was his being untruthful about how much he'd had to drink.

"A couple of beers". (Hasn't every cop heard that one?) His BAC was at .09. Not falling down drunk, but certainly for than two beers worth for a man of his build. For a 200 lb man to reach .09 would take four to five drinks.

We now, once again, return to the topic. Maybe.
Yes, you are running this int the ground.

What's the pint of your post? You want Doug to resign? And then the new guy will come in and see your plight and give you all huge raises and you'll live happily evr after?

Is that the hope?

News flash people - Parker is one of the better airline CEOs out there.

He's human just like everyone else here. #### happens.

Yep, the fantastic "judgement" shown by a multi-millionaire even driving drunk was nothing short of amazing, and speaks volumes about all those in the car as well...and such people run that corporation...not a good thing. I'd guess that "his being untruthful" fails to surprise anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.