UA AND US Merger Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is that if CO pulls off the UA transaction - US can go Chapter 7 and stop the misery for everyone.
Well this statement will go down as the "jackass" remark of the year. Obviously you don't work for US, nor do you care one bit for those that do in order to support their families. In all my years in this industry, I have never wished job loss or liquidation upon ANYONE at all EVER. Your remark is in very poor taste, and makes you look like a true fool to say the least.

Reactions: 3 people
Well this statement will go down as the "jackass" remark of the year. Obviously you don't work for US, nor do you care one bit for those that do in order to support their families. In all my years in this industry, I have never wished job loss or liquidation upon ANYONE at all EVER. Your remark is in very poor taste, and makes you look like a true fool to say the least.

Mesa aside right?

If this turns out to be US/UA, what makes anyone think US would be the acquirer? UA stock triple the price, the airline triple the size.....
UA customers and employees should worry if Doug and Scott wind up running the show.....

UA/CO makes much more sense in every way except perhaps fleet commonality...and would be a win win for everyone.

The more I think about this more I dont think anything is going to happen. As soon as the Obama administration hears about job losses or higher fares it won't get approved. The big heads at Delta and Northwest knew this and were smart to act fast to get their merger sewn up before all that happened. Add to the fact that there will be so much anomosity from the employee groups its doomed.

Besides UA talking to CO back in 2008 what were some of the reasons given as to why the US/UA talks broke off? Was it over who would be in control or was it labor issues?

If this turns out to be US/UA, what makes anyone think US would be the acquirer? UA stock triple the price, the airline triple the size.....
UA customers and employees should worry if Doug and Scott wind up running the show.....

UA/CO makes much more sense in every way except perhaps fleet commonality...and would be a win win for everyone.

YEAP CO WOULD be the best One out There---maybe they hold a secret meting with CO but pretend...they are are talking to UA....who know...the world is full of drama...let wait and see

Because nothing has made since in this industry for the last 15 years ....

Besides UA talking to CO back in 2008 what were some of the reasons given as to why the US/UA talks broke off? Was it over who would be in control or was it labor issues?
Neither. There was rumor about the "control" issue. But the real reason was that CO was spooked when Tilton opened the books to CO. Good thing too, because with this economy going into the economic abyss combined with the initial costs of an integration and delayed benefits of synergies it could have been financially disastrous for both.

Since then Tilton has been aggressively trying to fix the balance sheet and preserve cash in an aeffort to make UA more attractive to CO if another opportunity presents itself. With most analysts predicting that the worst of the economic meltdown behind us, and the signs of the returning high yield business traveler, the landscape has changed.

IMO CO just needs a bit of a push, or perhaps just a selling point to their board of directors to make the move. (Such as "hey if we don't move now we'll be the odd man out in this industry consolidation.")

Another interesting side note is that CO can not code share with another domestic airline without approval of their pilots due to contractual language. (Smart move CO ALPA!) So now the whole Star Alliance plan is in jeopardy by the end of 2010 unless they make a deal. CO offered their pilots Delta pay plus $1. CO pilots haven't countered yet. But one way around the code share issue is to merge with UA. This makes the code share clause moot.

CO's codeshare arrangement with AS ended when CO joined the *A.
Oh, duh. I forgot. :lol: No point in connecting with AS when you're hooked up to UA.

The underlying point remains...they have good codeshares for the west coast north-south routes.

I find it very amusing that everyone here is so quick to write-off the PHL Hub.
I'm with you there, but maybe you're reading too much into what some are writing. PHL has really good O&D, especially for international traffic. That's reason enough to keep it around if the feds don't interfere. It would be the obvious substitute for IAD if push comes to shove with keeping IAD. The broader question is what to do if both are kept.

IAD is a better hub for operational reasons. PHL still makes a fine O&D-heavy airport, and focusing more on point-to-point there would probably be profitable. That might shrink operations there somewhat, but that would probably pay dividends in fewer delays, and happier pax.

]its going to happen.. finally.. lets just get it done and over with. My pathetic 10 yr career(and I use that term very lightly) has got to take a turn for the better at some point. get the deal done, get the contracts done and lets all move on from the past 10 years.

I'm with you there, but maybe you're reading too much into what some are writing. PHL has really good O&D, especially for international traffic. That's reason enough to keep it around if the feds don't interfere. It would be the obvious substitute for IAD if push comes to shove with keeping IAD. The broader question is what to do if both are kept.

IAD is a better hub for operational reasons. PHL still makes a fine O&D-heavy airport, and focusing more on point-to-point there would probably be profitable. That might shrink operations there somewhat, but that would probably pay dividends in fewer delays, and happier pax.

PHL is dominated by US Air, government does not like that ...... CO has Star Hub in EWR, UA has Star Hub in IAD, both very close by. Something got to give, I think it's PHL.

Star Hubs are now in (PHL, IAD, EWR) ..... (CLT) ..... (ORD) ........ (IAH) ........(DEN, PHX). Which ones compete heavily with one another?

Status
Not open for further replies.