UA Computer Failure 6/20 -merged topics

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
It is all over the New York news that a computer system at UA failed this morning grounding flights for over 2 hours. Supposedly the residual delays will be extensive.

Does anyone have any information on this? I have colleagues on UA today and Friday.

Thanks

I sat on the runway at ORD for about 90 mins. this morning because of the computer crash. At first, they said it would be about 30 mins. but apparently it crashed again and it took 90. Listening to channel 9, it appeared that once the system was back up, they were dispatching all of the delayed planes fairly quickly. So it will probably affect this afternoon, but not tomorrow.

Failure was caused by all IT functions being transferred to Tempe... :bleh:

Not sure if you all know this, but the IT infrastructure maintenance was outsourced to EDS in the last few months.

Current rumor is that these contract guys didn't know what they were doing and since the guys that knew Unimatic inside and out were laid off, the new EDS folks were in a tough spot to get things running again.

Some have asked why UA didn't use a backup system... the maintenance was being performed on the backup system, an error was discovered, then that error infected the main Unimatic system, knocking both offline.

Why were the ties between the two computers not blocked *before* performing maintenance on the backup system?

well don't mr. tilton's statement yesterday that united's ops were "virtually back to normal" was BS. i didnt land until 2:15am last night from LA

Are you really surprised at Tilton's statement? This sorry excuse for a Chief Executive and his embarassment of a senior management team are soley focused on begging someone to merge with United so they can cash out and move on to other endeavors. He is an absolute laughingstock of a leader. I honestly think it's impossible for him to speak without using condescedning corporate-speak. It's ironic that a merger may be United's best bet for success, since that appears to be the ONLY way this underachieving management team will go away and take the inept BOD with them.

Back