UA transfers its two DAL (Love Field) gates to Southwest; Is DL out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
B8odsjECQAAqy4M.png

https://twitter.com/BrianSumers/status/561293755182243843

This is an interesting turn of events.   Maybe DL can wait out VX and then get those gates.   

Truly astounding that the Justice Dep't allowed WN to gain control of them.   It's becoming more clear every day that the current administration does not understand even the basics of antitrust law.   WN now controls 90% of a scarce resource, and 80% was too much.   

nowhere has it been said that DL is not able to continue its flights which are still for sale. DL could pull inventory down with a couple key strokes if they were being kicked out and intend to accept it.

If DL is able to continue to operate its 5 flight schedule to ATL, I don't see any reason why the DOJ shouldn't approve the transaction - until someone else comes along and says they want to serve DAL.

I have real concerns about WN or any carrier controlling 90% Of the gates at any airport but as long as the carriers who want to fly there can, then the airport should be used to the max.

your point is valid about DOJ not protecting competition given that UA is willing to leave DAL and the DOJ is willing to allow those gates to be transferred.

but let's also remember that this plus DCA and LGA all started because AA and US wanted to merge.

This is messed up if it's true that the DOJ just accepted this sublease without getting any other airline opinions on the matter. Southwest controls 90% of DAL gates and 81% of MDW gates with the blessing of the DOJ. Yet CO/UA can't get more than 73% of EWR gates and must divest. And AA/US gave up LGA, DAL, BOS, LAX where they don't dominate and weren't even the biggest carrier, yet at DFW & CLT where they do dominate they don't give up anything.
Just gotta really love our government. Unbelievable if true!
I hope Delta is locked out, sues and wins.

I agree with you but for now DL says its sublease is not affected.

once again, I suspect that WN is willing to give DL access to gates for 5 measly flights/day in return for keeping DL out of the courts.

if any other carrier wants to serve DAL, they need to step forward.

very interesting turn of events.     but I have to ask  since the feds did this to DAL  then is it possible a revisit to LGA gate swap   esp to get AA and US to be closer together would happen soon??

Reactions: 1 person
C'mon people.  I think UAL was getting squeezed and actually wanted to leave LF and move their operations on over to DFW.  They saw an option to move and get paid to move.  What surprises me is, UAL, in the past, refused to sub-lease to Delta.  UAL had numerous times they could have leased to Delta and they chose to lease to SWA first, temporarily, then perm long term. Why wouldn't UAL lease to Delta at all?  This does in fact speaks volumes.  This is not a shocker, I told you all this was coming, I just had no clue it was coming this quick, as I was expecting it to come next year some time.  But I see now that SWA needed to step up the pace earlier.  All leases and sub leases are in fact accepted by both the DOJ as well as the COD.  Done deal folks, get over it...  You just gotta LUV this stuff man!!!

As long as DL can still fly unrestricted from DAL to ATL they are unharmed. Who owns or leases that or any gate does not matter. If DL is restricted from doing existing business then harm will result. At that point you have grounds for a law suit. I love this stuff.

Maybe Delta should look at that secondary airport over there in ATL?  All airlines that are at LF and want to serve LF should band together and fight for adding more gates.  Take the cap back to the original 32 gates.  Virgin could expand to 4 gates, UAL could keep their 2 gates, Delta could have 2 gates and SWA could have 24 gates.  This way everyone is happy, I think, LOL...

Reactions: 1 person
I'd support the expansion of DAL but I won't accept anyone being forced to leave until the project is done.

I signed your petition to get you int'l service at HOU; I'll sign this one too as long as it benefits more than just WN.

Just wait and see what happens.  I already told you that SWA would gain more gates, and now they have, Hmmmm,  wonder how I knew that?  Get a clue...

because UA made it clear they weren't terribly interested in serving DAL from the time the WA was due to end, that's how.

all they did was to try to block DL from gaining gates because they knew they could lease them to WN for more money.

still doesn't change that whatever UA does with its operation doesn't change DL's rights to have access to DAL and DL's willingness to push the issue as far as need be to make the case.

controlling 90% of the gates at an airport and blocking access to newcomers is the ideal case for an antitrust lawsuit if there ever was one, regardless if the present DOJ is capable of seeing it or not.

WorldTraveler said:
once again, I suspect that WN is willing to give DL access to gates for 5 measly flights/day in return for keeping DL out of the courts.

Yeah, sure that's the reason DL is able to remain at DAL ......

Delusion.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
no, what is delusion is the people including AA and US mgmt. who thought they could force DL out of DAL.

it hasn't happen and DL is now the only legacy carrier that is staying at DAL, just as it is true at MDW.

DAL has proven itself to be a very viable and profitable alternative to DFW that is no threat to anything other than AA's dominance of the N. Texas market.

I will support the expansion of DAL as long as there is the provision for any other carrier that wants to serve DAL to be able to do so with more than a token presence, including AA's return to DAL and elimination of the requirements that WN drop gates at DAL in order to serve DFW.

swamt said:
All airlines that are at LF and want to serve LF should band together and fight for adding more gates.  Take the cap back to the original 32 gates.  Virgin could expand to 4 gates, UAL could keep their 2 gates, Delta could have 2 gates and SWA could have 24 gates.  This way everyone is happy, I think, LOL...
Yeah, except that it appears that DL is the only airline other than VX and WN who are interested in serving DAL right now. And I'm still not sure that VX is going to be in it for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.