Ual Well Positioned For Future

767jetz

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
See story HERE

Looks like more disappointing news for Fishy and others like him. :D

Although United will continue to face competition from low cost rivals, our global network makes us "well situated." This according to the Federal Reserve Board Governor and chairman of the ATSB.

Sorry Fishy, but your hopes of UA's demise are unraveling!

It's nice to hear some postitive comments, while airlines like Delta and Northwest are under the media's scrutiny.

Keep up the good work to all my fellow UA employees! :up:

I'm all for favorable UA news, firmly believe UA will successfully emerge, and firmly dislike Fish.

However, this is a bit of a stretch. You basically took a paragraph and one sentence and hyped it up. Airline expert this guy does not make.

Don't get me wrong Jetz - I'm a fan of yours. But, seems like you're eager to do the old tit for tat with Fish.

My advice - sit tight and wait for United to emerge. That will be a pretty big TAT.

but compete they will have to," he added. We'll see Thursday how big of a loss UniTED posts this quarter. It will more than likely be less than Delta or Northwest, but a lose it will be.

well we already know that the loss is going to be more than $217 million...they lost that much in April and May alone.

(may net loss is $93 million, April net loss was $124 million)

- John

UnitedChicago said:
I'm all for favorable UA news, firmly believe UA will successfully emerge, and firmly dislike Fish. However, this is a bit of a stretch. You basically took a paragraph and one sentence and hyped it up.

Sky high states: Seriously, though. You guys are posting a loss when load factors are 90 PERCENT.

Best of luck! UAL

atlflyer said:
well we already know that the loss is going to be more than $217 million...they lost that much in April and May alone.

(may net loss is $93 million, April net loss was $124 million)

- John
[post="284183"][/post]​

I'm sure it will be a loss and it will be what it will be. Not to get into a UA v. AA debate (I certainly won't use the "w" word uttered in that other post) but keep in mind that AA is enjoying a revenue premium at DFW.

mrfish3726 said:

but compete they will have to," he added.
[post="284179"][/post]​

Well, I guess we'll have to see... won't we? But judging by the market share UA is gaining back in DEN, I'd say UA is positioning itself well for the future. ;)

Here's a little BK tip for a novice like yourself... Pay attention to the cash. Don't obsess over the straight profit/loss numbers without looking at the big picture. Cash postion is the biggest indicator of a company's relative health during the BK process. And UA's cash balance has been INCREASING.

Everything else, well we will just have to see. But I guarantee the sky isn't falling on UA anytime in the near future. (disclaimer: barring any catastrophic events. God Forbid.)

UnitedChicago said:
I'm sure it will be a loss and it will be what it will be. Not to get into a UA v. AA debate (I certainly won't use the "w" word uttered in that other post) but keep in mind that AA is enjoying a revenue premium at DFW.
[post="284205"][/post]​

UA-ORD,

Something to keep in mind about AA is that they have a HUGE amount of debt to service. (As UA used to) Sure, it seems like they are doing pretty good right now, all things considered. And quite honestly I hope that continues. I have several friends there.

But at some point it will have to be addressed. WHEN UA emerges with something like $2 Billion in debt, it will pale in comparison to AA's $20 Billion or so. That's alot of debt to sevice over the long term, no to mention the ongoing pension costs.

767jetz said:
UA-ORD,

Something to keep in mind about AA is that they have a HUGE amount of debt to service. (As UA used to) Sure, it seems like they are doing pretty good right now, all things considered. And quite honestly I hope that continues. I have several friends there.

But at some point it will have to be addressed. WHEN UA emerges with something like $2 Billion in debt, it will pale in comparison to AA's $20 Billion or so. That's alot of debt to sevice over the long term, no to mention the ongoing pension costs.
[post="284214"][/post]​

Keep rationalizing...if it makes you feel better. :D

At least AA management is trying to keep the company in tact and out of BK (most think they will accomplish that). They have done much more than UniTED ever thought about doing, trying to reorganize without a BK filing. AA is still funding pensions, got their employees to agree to cuts (long before UAL did), and they have down sized as other have done to. But one thing they haven't done is slaughtered the mechanics ranks like all the other legacy carriers did. So, who is a more reliable employer who has really tried to keep the impact to employees to a minimum?? Like SWA, CO, AA is right there at the top! And DON'T EVER COMPARE UniTED to AA there is NO COMPARISON PERIOD! They are actually making money! :up:

767jetz said:
UA-ORD,

[post="284214"][/post]​

Uhh, upon emergence from Ch 11 (assuming that happens), UAL will have a couple billion of exit financing debt PLUS the long-term secured debt that UAL can't get rid of, PLUS the total obligations under various operating and capital leases. You may want to read notes 9 & 10 of the 10-K to see just how many billions of dollars UAL is gonna owe if it successfully emerges from Ch 11:

http://ccbn.tenkwizard.com/filing.php?repo...00000&VL=0066FF

To be sure, UAL may successfully dump all of its unsecured debt and may reduce some of its secured debt, but you're dreaming if you think that UAL is gonna owe a mere $2 billion and that AMR is gonna owe 10 times as much long-term debt.

UAL is gonna easily owe $20 billion of long-term debt plus lease obligations. Gotta service that debt, and with UAL's revenues, that ain't gonna be easy.

To get rid of all of its old long-term debt and its lease obligations, UAL would have to give back all of those airplanes that secure the debt: If that happened, there'd be no more 767s for you to fly.

blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah. blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.blah blah blah. blah blah blah, no blah.

And blah.

Service this people.